You Get Better Service If You Are Well Dressed?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Oct 29, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do first impressions count?

Apparently they do. People often judge others by appearances and how you dress [supposedly] will either earn you some respect and get you better service. Of course this will change the moment you open your mouth.

No need to complain about poor service. Next time you want to get better service you should dress better.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of my husband who always wear long sleeved shirt when coming to work. Their office usually have guests and mostly strangers to my husband. He said that visitors would always treat him with respect because of his attire unlike some of the film directors who wear shirts and sneakers that sometimes guests wouldn't even greet them. So I guess the attire and appearance can affect service.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This can be true, but it's ethically wrong. When I worked in retail (beauty) we would judge people on how they looked and if they were going to spend money. I remember seeing an older lady who looked tired, dressed very blandly and I was still nice to her, but didn't go over the top. She ended up buying a £200 bottle of moisturizer from me, and a friend told me afterwards that she owned a big company.

Those that ignored her did miss out and she became a regular customer. These days people do dress up, and you only have to look at reality stars to know that it does matter what you say that can make a difference.

Don't forget there are stories of footballers going into top end stores dressed in jeans and being refused service, and well dressed people going into jewelry stores, and then robbing them.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No need to complain lol.
    This is true though. I remember a while back, I went into a store dressed in my grubs (long day, no time! lol) and I was followed throughout to make sure I wasn't stealing. That felt horrible! I've never had that happen before.. any other time in that same store, I get jumped for a sale, but they leave me alone when I say I don't need help. This time they were on me like glue lol. So dumb. Same thing happened at a dentist's office too, oddly enough. The second time I went in, I was wearing grubs (why dress up for scary dental work?? lol) and was treated like a child, they all but spoke slowly so I could follow lol.. so I ran circles around them and put them back in place. Very unlike the first time I had been there and had been treated very well. First impressions really do say a lot.. but it goes both ways. If you judge me for how I'm dressing that day, I'm judging you for being a shallow human being I don't have the time for anyway. Especially if you're in service. I won't dress or be someone I'm not to get better service; I just won't be back ;)

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    They do and sadly - although it has been the case for centuries but to a much lessor degree - it is now a very common symptom of the shallow materialistic society of today - particularly as people appear to have become so programmed into believing that success means - impressing others with their “ status symbols “ or material possessions - that they now judge everyone this way.

To be honest why waste precious time complaining - when its way easier to take your money elsewhere.

As not only is judging someone by their “ cover “ as such - extremely shallow but from a business point of view very short-sighted - particularly considering the fact - that as a large majority of truly wealthy people don't like to flaunt what they have as they much prefer to keep a low profile - its almost impossible to tell who is actually - genuinely - really rich these days.

Which is why misperceptions like this can be very costly and why it is always wise to treat all customers equally in terms of respect - especially as not only can looks be deceiving but more often than not - it could be those wearing well worn jeans and a grubby t-shirt or who have a slightly unkempt or disheveled look about them - that are the ones with a wad of money in their pocket - rather than those wearing “ status symbols “ or flaunting designer labels - in fact its generally the latter that are least likely to have any money - as they're more often than not - up to their eyes in debt trying to impress people with their material possessions.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is so true. When I go shopping I dress down because I do not want to be bothered by the sales people that will follow you around the store trying to make a sale. My daughter worked in retail for awhile and would give top service to the ladies that looked like me shopping because she knew my secret. People thought I had no money but they were so wrong, I just didn't want to be bothered because people judge you by how you dress.

7. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    That is very shallow indeed. Now a days people don't always have time to dress up just to do a little shopping. There are so many ways for people to make money and if they work from home, people might not dress up as often. Now I'm getting ideas to just dress plain so I don't get hassled for so many sales and what not.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    As much as I don't want to, I do this too, so I'm not surprised many others do it too even if they are not conscious of it. I don't think there's much wrong in it since it's only natural, but I think those who are able to give the same amount of respect and hospitality to those who are underdressed will ultimately earn more respect from me and subsequently also probably earn more of my business. I frequent both types of establishments and don't see much wrong in either method, but having choices definitely is key since if all establishments were that way I'd have a bit more problem with it.

9. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    Is that really true? How does it get you better service? You could probably still try and give a good first impression and be shut down. Seems everyone's got their bias. That definitely shouldn't be the case. They should just do the job they're supposed to do regardless of first impression or not. We should all try and give off good impressions though, it's just nice and makes their job easier I think.

10. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Not only have I experienced how the way my husband and I dress has an effect in terms of the customer service we receive, but also I feel that sometimes we have been given poor customer service because we appear younger than we actually are, especially my husband. I find this to be true especially in sales people, who are taken aback when we ask specific questions regarding warranty, product quality, negotiation in price, etc.

Also, servers in restaurants, especially older women, sometimes think we are just teenagers out on a date when we are dressed down, and they will not pay as close attention to us as their other tables. Little do they know I was a server for five years who paid my way through college waiting on tables. When I worked as a server, I treated everyone with the same level of customer service I would like to receive if I were out to eat. You never know who may be paying attention and will appreciate your service with a big tip!

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's true, people will only give you good service if you are dressed well, otherwise they ignore you or they give so-so service. People judge other people based on apperances, so we have no choice but to look "rich" when we go out so that peole will respect us or give good service to us.

12. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    A couple of times, I’ve gotten a free shampoo while getting my hair done just because the stylist loved my outfit. So I can vouch for this. It reminds me of the quote “Being well dressed is a beautiful form of politeness.”

That said, I’m not for anyone treating customers like lesser people just because they’re not all dolled up; that’s seriously shallow BS. I just personally like to put in the effort because sometimes it has its perks.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whether we like it or not, I've found this to be true. We used to pick up a few supplies from 'posh-ish' British retail giant, Marks and Spencer on our way from work. So we'd be nicely dressed in formal work wear. We never experienced any attitude in those instances. But then when we came in at the weekend really dressed down, we could tell there was a marked difference in the way the staff and even the customers behaved towards us.

For some reason, the staff and customers there were really pompous and had this weird thing where they looked down their noses at anybody they felt didn't quite 'fit'. It was just strange, because even dressed down, it's not as if we're slobs, and wouldn't go anywhere without looking presentable. It's wrong and just downright RUDE. -especially coming from the staff, who really should know better.