Your best bank account 'freebie'?

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by johnfurst • Apr 19, 2012.

1. johnfurst

johnfurstNew Member

Threads:
    Whats the best free gift / freebie you've had from a bank in return for opening an account with them? I got a free student railcard from my bank after opening a student current account with them (gets me a third off all train fares). I use it reasonably often and its saved me a load of money on train fares, especially long distance onces.

2. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    I got $50 for opening an account with ING. That was pretty sweet :D

3. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    Ha how lucky you all are to live where you are located. Here in the States we usually don't get very much for opening an acct. I have seen some banks that offer 10 dollars for setting up a direct deposit or a free mug for opening an account, but thats about it.

4. CityGirlLuv

CityGirlLuvNew Member

Threads:
    I got $100 for opening a bank account with Bank of America about 4 years ago. Best thing I ever did and I love the Hello Kitty card and check things that I got to choose lol.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I received $50 for opening an account with Citibank Online. It was not worth it. I had a terrible experience with them. Citibank Online is different from the Citibank branches. Just wanting to make that clarification.

6. CityGirlLuv

CityGirlLuvNew Member

Threads:
    I know a lot of people, my own parents included, that have had horrible experiences with Citibank. With the business practices I've heard from them, I'm surprised they're still in business. There's no branches where I'm located and I believe my parents did the Citibank Online thing.

7. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Same here - I think once I got $25.00 for switching to paperless and telling the bank I did not want any hard copies of my statements to be mailed to me. I didn't even know that switching to paperless would give me some money since I personally don't like having tons of paperwork come to my house. The only other thing I can think of is my bank taking fees away for certain bank accounts if you meet any criteria: if you have a certain balance average a month, if you have a direct deposit of $1000.00 or more once a month, etc. That's not really a freebie, though.

I wish I could more freebies and rewards for being a loyal bank customer, but I guess in this day and age, it doesn't make sense for banks to do that since so many people already turn to banks.

8. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    A very nice bag! I am a bag freak so I literally freaked out when I saw a bag in my package from the bank. Really, this bank got me through a bag! :)

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Wow, that's a really good one. How long does the card last for you?

The best I have gotten was a picnic set. It was a nice cooler bag with a set of camping-style dishes inside. It wasn't anything special, but I was going to be opening the account anyway, so I might as well get the gift, too, right?

10. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I receive a freebie from my bank every year, the freebie is interest on my savings. Last year my savings made 300 pounds in interest, free money! I know interest is not technically a freebie but that's how I see it, free money you have earned without work.

11. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:
    I've opened up a total of four bank accounts in my lifetime thus far. And of them, only one gave me any somewhat cool freebie. Two years ago when I opened up an account at a community bank, they gave me a free gym membership and a year subscription to sports illustrated.

12. freemind_76

freemind_76Member

Threads:
    When I opened up a fun saver's savings account for each of my three kids, the bank gave me three bags. Though it's just a bag, I find it very useful.

13. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Ahhh yes. Bank Atlantic used to give out some great gifts. I got a portable tv, that ran on batteries. Believe me, it came in handy and got me thru a few hurricanes in my time.

14. jayjacinto

jayjacintoMember

Threads:
    Banks in our country doesn't give much (except for credit card holders which I understand why). I got a pen, a key chain, and a planner. Plus I enjoy unlimited brewed coffee everytime.

15. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    I got a free domestic trip for 2 from my favorite bank!

16. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Its lucky for you guys to receive gifts from banks just by opening an account with them. Here in my country we don't receive any kind of compensation whatsoever from banks even if we open a huge savings account with them. Although we do get points if we use their credit cards for our purchases.

17. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I got a bag from HSBC several years back.