Your Favorite Ebook Reader App

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Athenagdlyt • Jul 4, 2014.

1. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Although many ebook enthusiasts are already using a specific e-readers such as Kindle or Barnes & Noble and the like, there are some who use their mobile devices or tablets to access and read ebooks.

I am among those who read on a mobile device. The Aldiko app has been my ebook reader since Java OS phones. Now that I'm using Android I still use the Aldiko reader. Sometimes, it's the Kindle for Mobile. I want to try other ebook reader apps just for curiosity. I find no problem with Aldiko, but maybe there are new ones worth trying.

My question goes to those who are using mobile devices that are not exclusively e-readers. What app do you use for reading?

2. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I have a Nook tablet that I really enjoy but I have never been happy with the B&N store. They seem to never have any good deals and the e-book forms are usually just as expensive as buying a physical tablet. I got a tablet so I could enjoy the opposite! One day I was on Amazon and noticed that a book I was thinking about ordering was only $2.99 for a Kindle version! I was shocked...and that's when a genius idea dawned on me. I downloaded Kindle's app on to my Nook and now I can enjoy all the same benefits as owning a Kindle. Literally all the same including social media apps and games. So obviously my answer to this question is that I prefer the Kindle app!

3. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    That is brilliant. When I had a nook, I didn't like it because it was attached to Barnes and Nobel and didn't think they had enough to offer like Amazon either. I think that is a very common experience. But taking it a step further, I think it's brilliant that you got the kindle app for a competitor's product. :)

I don't know that with the early nook's I could do this, and I did try. It was not available to do that with or it would have been an easy solution. It was before my ipad. Now I just have a kindle app for my ipad and phone. Tho I would rather read on the ipad than the small space on the phone. But with my nook, I had it only for a short time, and returned it.

4. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I will admit that I felt a little bit guilty but Barnes & Noble decided to download Android and Google Play onto their devices so they knew they were taking that risk. I was pretty proud of myself for figuring that out though. :)

I also highly recommend Scribd. Its not exactly a e-reading app because there is a few every month. But, for the same price that you pay for Netflix, you can read unlimited books all month long. They are a fairly new company so they only have 2 major publishing houses signed up. There are so many books between the two though that you will never have to worry about being bored. I signed up for the free trial and definitely don't plan to cancel.

5. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite ebook reader app is calibre. It's free and great for ebooks in epub format. Not sure yet if can open .mobi and .lit ebooks but most of my ebooks are either in PDF or epub format so no complains as I only use it for epubs. For ebooks in PDF format, I mostly use foxit reader. :)

6. Tapel

TapelMember

Threads:
    I use Kindle app on my PC. I have a Windows 8 OS so and Kindle looks great on my OS. I haven't tried any other reader apps, though. I'm happy with Kindle. It makes reading e-books fun and it's quite different looking than any other reader app. Try it if you have Windows 8.

7. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I use Kindle app on my iPhone. I prefer Kindle over iBooks for the main reason that Kindle books are cheaper than the ones in iStore. Also i love Kindle app because the interface looks classy and the books are easy to manage. Kindle also has this built-in dictionary where you can just tap the word you want to know the meaning of, maybe iBooks has it too but i couldn't be sure. I haven't used it that much to know about its features to be honest.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I read my ebooks using kindle app on my pc. I have been listening to audio books on my pc more than reading the books mostly because I am working and need to have the entertainment to help me complete the work I am doing. I can listen to the story instead of reading it or trying to watch the tv which would take me eyes off the computer and what I need to complete.

9. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I usually read e-books on my smartphone. I use CoolReader. I haven't tried a lot of e-book reader apps, but I have found CoolReader to be excellent so I didn't look for other similar apps. During the rare occasions when I read e-books on my laptop, I use Calibre.

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    iBook, not because it's the best, but because it serves me just well for my needs. I don't think that I would be needing something else if my only reason for reading an ebook is to read and to entertain myself. I don't need anything further than that. So, I would say that it's my favorite, because it's the only thing that I am using and it's not yet got me disappointed.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I use PerfectReader on my ipad and it has nice interface and animation but the downside is that it only reads PDF files. I've been looking for something that could handle both PDF and ePub since I'd like for all my books to just remain in me place. I've found a few others but they don't look as nice as ones that are more limited. So ironically I think even if I already have an app called perfect reader I am still searching for an actual perfect one.

#11Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hey, touche there because I've also downloaded Aldiko. It's great and it's also easy to navigate. My problem however is that it's not very compatible with PDF files. I downloaded an ebook once, a John Green novel, and it looked fine on my desktop. When I added it to my Aldiko library, it totally got messed up. The font was too small to read and it barely fit my screen. That's why sometimes I go for Google Books (usually for the free classic novels) or the plain old PDF file reader. It has a book reader option.