Your Favorite kind of Cake

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Dec 11, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What is your favorite flavor of cake? Also, do you like it with or without frosting? Homemade or cake mix and store bought frosting? Do you prefer layer cakes, sheet cakes, or cupcakes?

I like to make homemade cakes once in a while, with homemade frosting. I don't do a lot of baking unless it's around the holidays, and I'd rather have homemade goodies for special occasions. Other times, I might make a cake mix once in a while. I prefer layer cakes and cupcakes, even though sheet cakes are simpler.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mom used to make homemade cakes, and they tasted good, and I liked how her icing tasted. But even she admits that her baking skills are not that good yet, lol. My favorite type of cake would be anything that has icing on it, like Chocolate Mousse.

3. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Angel Food cake has been and still is my favorite cake of all time. Strawberry Angel
    Food cake is very delicious but very rare to find. I'm lucky to catch it at my local store 2-3 times a year. If I can't get the Strawberry, I get the regular kind. I like this cake plain, just the way it is but on occasion, I will cut up strawberries and put it on top along with some whip cream.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love shortcakes and cheese cakes a whole lot. It doesn't matter what the flavor or topping is although I've only tasted strawberry and blueberry so far. These types of cake blend well with berries. I also like chocolate mousse and chocolate truffles. Cakes with a creamy taste fire me up. I love them best when there's icecream on hand.

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love Oreo cheesecake, more so than the cookie itself! I think there's just something special about the oreo cookies when made into a crumble, they have a rich flavor and crunchy texture that goes especially well with cream cheesecake. Whoever thought of such a pairing was pure genius :p

6. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I don't love super sweet things so my favorite is a lemon or citrusy cake. I also liked red velvet a lot as a kid. As a general rule I don't turn down any cake, though :)

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Chocolate cake always makes me happy, especially with a chocolate cream filling and topping. I also like lemon cake or a classic victoria sponge with some jam and cream in it. I'm not fan of fruit cakes or ones with too much cream or icing on top. I do make my own cakes from time to time, but will have a slice for afternoon tea with either a glass of champagne or a cup of hot chocolate.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always hated cake. I don't like the texture of them.. if they were more like big brownies I would have liked them maybe lol. I don't eat cake now, but when I did, I always went for the ice cream cake since there was no actual cake in them. Actually that's not true.. I bought one once and part of it was actual cake and the only thing worse than cake for me is frozen cake.. UGH!!! It was revolting lol. I've made plenty regular cakes though and my homemade beats store bought or mix hands down. I could almost tolerate them lol.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I love them all, but when I am buying a cake, I prefer to get the cupcake because it's already one serving. Not only I am able to control it, but I am also able to eat it right away and finish just that. I hate preparing foods for myself sometimes because I feel that they are too time consuming. But I think all of them have the same taste. They are just of different forms.

10. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting!

11. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    My favorite cake is lemon cake with strawberry frosting or lemon cake with chocolate frosting, I can't pick just one.

12. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I really like vanilla cupcakes. I can just eat a bunch of those and that think anything of it. Cake doughnuts are something I'm also really crazy about. Between those two I would say that everything is covered. I'm also a sucker for some good pound cake.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have more than one. Carrot cake is one, chocolate cake is another and my mom's white cake with coconut and icing.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm not too big of a fan of cake so I honestly don't have that many particular favorites as long as the cake I'm eating is well made. If I had to choose I'd go for a caramel based cake because I prefer it more compared to chocolate or other regular types of flavors. I also like cheesecakes a lot but not really that often because it's so rich that after one slice I'm often satisfied enough to last a few more weeks or even months.

15. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Favorite type of cake for me are cheese cake and ice-cream fruit cakes. I've always like cheese cake because it doesn't involved too much cream on it, which isn't something I like. As for ice-cream fruit cakes, the best one's in my opinion are peach filling - I always enjoy this type of cake. The worst type of cakes are those big square cakes that feed a bunch of people, because they're loaded with super amounts of sugar and dream, which is no bueno for my teeth or body.

16. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Let me just say that when I eat cake I am not looking for a "flavor cake". The cake has to be real with real ingredients that provide a real taste that isn't manufactured. With that being said I love to eat chocolate cake with chocolate icing. There was one time that I ate a white chocolate cake that was amazing.

17. primaLucid

primaLucidNew Member

Threads:
    I am not a huge fan of cakes because I don’t like the insane sweetness of frosting, but I love tiramisu. The chocolate powder and the soft pound cake soaked with coffee are delightful. It doesn’t have frosting, so it meets my tastes. Any cake with coffee is an A+ in my book.

18. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of my favorite cakes of all times is carrot carob cake with coconut frosting. I used to buy it at a local health food restaurant, but they closed down a while ago, and I have not been able to find that particular flavor again anywhere. I have actually tried getting in touch with the person who made those cakes, as I really miss them. They were fruity, moist, not too sweet, and absolutely delicious.

19. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Chocolate is my all time favorite. Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, with milk, since it's too rich. Thanks for all the great replies. A white chocolate cake sounds divine.

I also like a good cheesecake. I have been learning how to make different ones, and my family is happy to taste test them for me, lol. I made praline pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving. It was a cheesecake marbled with pumpkin filling (like you'd use in pumpkin pie) then topped with praline pecans and caramel sauce. Trust me, you only need a tiny sliver of a cake like that!

20. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite cake is Double Chocolate German Chocolate cake. Homemade you can't get it in any store. You can find the recipe on the can of Hershey Cocoa sometimes. Before I started baking DCGC I made the original German Chocolate cake from scratch.