Your Favorite Movie Villain

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Mar 1, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I love it when the movie I'm watching has a very interesting villain, as I usually find the protagonist to be a little generic and boring since they are all pretty much the same. Villains, however, usually have very subtle differences from each other in that they may have different motivations and different ways of doing things, and I think they add a lot to the overall quality of a particular film. I know Anothony Hopkins Hannibal Lecter and Heath Ledger's Joker will more or less be the crowd favorite, but I wonder if there are other villains that are noteworthy but have been brushed over for these more prominent choices.

Do you guys have any favorite villains that you think are underrated? If not, which popular movie villains are your favorites?

2. brian101

brian101New Member

Threads:
    My favourite movie villain of recent time would be Bane from The Dark Knight Returns, this man has a lot of presence and you know from just looking at him he is not too be messed with. Not only does he have the size and stature to be a formidable force to be reckoned with but he's also a villain with a lot of brains as well just listen to the way he speaks.

Put it this way, I would not like to be the one who rattles his cage... he'll rattle you right back lol. Lets not forget how he broke the bat and then after doing that he told Batman/Bruce Wayne how he's going to break his soul, I mean hasn't Bane done enough to the poor guy already?! Bane as a villain was entertaining to watch for sure.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You may find my choice a little odd but heck, each to his own. My favorite movie villain has to be Dr. Evil from the Austin Powers films. There just was something about him that was very entertaining. . .maybe it was some of his off-color jokes that caught my attention [what's long hard and full of sea men].

But apart from that, yeah, he was pretty good.

4. IndianapolisJones

IndianapolisJonesNew Member

Threads:
    I really liked the villain from the newest James Bond film, Skyfall. He was one step ahead of Bond and M16 the whole time, I love when villains are like that. Like one of the previous commenters mentioned, Bane from The Dark Knight Rises is another one of my favorite movie villains. He's both the brains and the brawn, someone you know immediately to never cross paths with. Two Face from the Batman franchise is also another favorite of mine, though I was kind of disappointed with how Christopher Nolan incorporated his character in The Dark Knight. Two Face's messed up notion of justice is intriguing and I feel as though there was a lot to explore with that.

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Movie villain! The Joker from The Dark Knight! The Heath Ledger Joker is probably the most butchered 'Favorite Villain' of today's era, but I can't blame people, he is really quite a favorable villain. I can go for hours rambling about how the Joker is awesome, but I think what I really liked the most about The Joker is that he has no motives for his evilness, its like he only does things because he does it. Which is great for a villain since his arch nemesis, Batman, is the polar opposite of the Joker. And I think a villain that has no motive, no identity and no actual goal is the scariest kind of villain.

6. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I don't watch many movies so I can't really say, but from any kind of media I would have to say Ben linus from LOST. He is one of the most witty and likeable villains I have ever come across. He is also very talented and skilled in many areas. I don't think any other villain comes close. He is in many ways similar to James Bond, but then again he is not the villain.

7. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a favorite movie villain but the most memorable for me is T-1000 from Terminator 2. That guy blew me away the first time I watched the movie. He could shapeshift and become anybody and was relentless. Even the T-800 had to run away from him, now that's awesome.

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    I like it when the villain is not necessarily someone but something. Like Skynet from Terminator or something like an idea... for example in Equilibrium they are fighting against the system that is trying to suppress all emotion in order to make the world a safer place. I much prefer it when it's an ideal, not just a person.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I get kind of choked up and sad watching the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, at the end when Leatherface is swinging his chainsaw around screaming in mental anguish against the sun setting in the background. Considering the movie was based on a true story of the infamous Ed Gein, who was raised in a claustrophobic, abusive household of religious fundamentalists, and how it turned him into a monster. His own life was a living hell, he had no life of his own, and sought to destroy the lives of others in such a violent manner. Just sad across the board.

There are a number of interesting articles out there too discussing how the film is heavily influenced by the Vietnam war:

10. RaidAurora

RaidAuroraMember

Threads:
    I'm gonna say Darth Vader, not because I'm incredibly invested in Star Wars, but because he's done a lot to change how America in particular views villains in their media. He represents evil in a way that we can relate to and understand; he's not just a bad guy, but also the hero's father. There's a lot of symbolism to be had there.

11. wkramos20

wkramos20New Member

Threads:
    My favorite villain is Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean. He is a great character. He is frightening looking and doesn't have a heart. He is evil but he is a really cool villain. The computer graphics of him in the movies makes him look so real. He is played by Bill Nighy who is a really cool actor.

12. Scottf13

Scottf13Member

Threads:
    As strange as it sounds, out of all the awesome movie villains, my favorite was a character (He's my favorite but I can't even remember his name!) from the first "Dangaioh" movie. That is an anime movie, but that villain was something else. I don't remember his name, but I do remember his determination. Every time he was defeated he lost a little more of his body, and became more and more cybernetic. He is smart, he's determined, he's flat out vicious in an intelligent way. He has the most memorable villain line in any movie I have ever watched, "You're my enemy, but that's not why I'm hurting you now. You see, I just really like to hurt young girls."

That was not an exact quote, but it was pretty much what he said to her before sending some more electricity through her body. Somewhat average movie, but that was one heck of a villain. He needed his own series.

13. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite movie villain is without a doubt Michael Myers from John Carpenter's Halloween franchise. I love the background and story surrounding this antagonist and his appearance and mannerisms are so intriguing. Every time I see him hunting down his victim and that familiar music starts up, I just view Michael Myers as simply badass. He's definitely one of the best horror villains and best overall villains ever created.

14. Scottie

ScottieMember

Threads:
    Hannibal! It does take a better brain, not brawn, to defeat him. And while he's being locked up, he still could do his worse - and that's pretty scary!

15. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    Hannibal Lector, he is the ultimate villain and yet helpful at the same, weird and twisted time. I just love to hate that character.

When I think of villains, my mind automatically goes to Disney Villains, my favorite one is Maleficent. She was so graceful and dark and just pure evil, I loved her as a kid and she scared me so bad.

16. Adryan

AdryanMember

Threads:
    The Joker and Hannibal Lecter for me they are the best villain ever and acters as well who played these character were suited for that character and added that extra evilness to that character. Davy jones as well how can i forget that evil at some time and is very cool for me as i am Pirates of the Caribbean fan!!:D

17. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Voldemort!! Of course, he is much better (or more evil) in the books, but the movies are good as well! I think he kicks ass as a teen adult category villain. Obviously Hannibal Lecter is also a villain worth mentioning, such an awesome and awful character, you have to commend him.

18. Steve

SteveMember

Threads:
    I am also going to say Darth Vader. If you ignore the latest 3 films of the franchise and take into account only the first trilogy you will see an epic villain unravel its motivations and schemes throughout the galaxy and who stops at nothing to get what he wants! A true villain with no moral restrictions!

19. Skroozey

SkroozeyNew Member

Threads:
    There can only be one, and that is of course the one and only Darth Vader! Man this guy just wants to run an Empire, what's with all these rebel scum getting in his way!? Seriously though I love conflicted characters like Vader. Characters that edge the line of good and evil, in Anakin's case anyway. Luke knows that there is still good in the old chap. In general though he's just so badass. Cool looking armor and an awesome voice, with some nice force powers, what's not to love?

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since I love the X-Men movies, then I would have to say Magneto. He had an intriguing past and childhood. He really didn't start as a bad guy, he was also a victim of mutant discrimination before he became a villain.