Your First Suit?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Mddimehdi • Oct 7, 2014.

1. Mddimehdi

MddimehdiNew Member

Threads:
    Do any fellow members remember their first suit, either when they were children or when they reached an adult size (about 36, like me, give or take)?

I'll start:

I had a little 6x1 (or maybe a 4x1) DB wool-blend suit in charcoal gray (the wrinkling in the back taught me to sit up straight, all the time), that I would wear with a little white Button-Down and a red silk/polyester clip-on Four-In-Hand (my parents didn't want me to have a clip-on bow), that I would wear with black shoes, a belt (for some reason, parents, then and now, fail to show their children the importance of belts; not mine, by a long shot) and a little cap (I've been wearing something on my head for years). I also had a little green DB sport coat, too.

My first man-sized coat was a Corduroy Sport Coat from Lands' End; my first suit was a 4x1 DB Tuxedo that I picked up at a flea market for $4.00 (the guy wanted $16.00, but he learned better when it comes to haggling with me; I should've bought the two sets of Tails that were there, which is one of my greatest sartorial regrets) that previously belonged to a musician (those high armholes are very Handy when playing the fiddle) who had it made for him back in the late 1930s.

After that, my first suit was a Green 3-Bt ventless "Versini" wool suit from Goodwill (although it might be an early Men's Warehouse suit from the 1990s and is green, it actually is not that bad-looking, apart from the wrinkles in the back if I were to slouch).

2. randomdude

randomdudeMember

Threads:
    My first suit was worn at my older sister's wedding when I was 10. Since I was so young the thought of a suit didn't really bother me but at the same time I beleive I wasn't focused on the several things you are not supposed to do in a suit. I was a very active child. I liked to run, jump, and do all sorts of active things. But I did not realize that those sorts of things are just not supposed to be done. I guess what I was thinking at the time was normal activity as a 10 year old could be done the same as if I had on regular active clothes.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I got my first suit when I was 11 or 12. Can't remember exactly but I remember the occasion. My cousin had died and all of those who were to attend the funeral had to be in black. I had to wear a suit then. I began associating black suits with tragedy since then and later when I had to buy myself suits, black was one color I always avoided.