Your Phone and the Gym

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Lostvalleyguy • Jun 9, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Please leave your phone at home. Leave it in the locker, or turn it off but please do not bring your phone to the gym. Your workout is suffering because you keep stopping to check your messages. That twenty second text you just sent in the middle of your set just killed it for you. I don't think a lot of people realize how many times an hour they let themselves be distracted by their phone. When working out, these cumulative distractions add up to a less intense and less effective workout. No, you are not giving your all on the stationary bike if you are distracted by talking on the phone.

One further thing, I don't want to hear your ringtone over and over again. People want to free their minds to have a peaceful workout and you are disrupting their routine. If you want to have your phone on, workout at home.

Take a note of this next time you are at the gym. You will often see many people allowing their phones to lessen their workouts.

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I used to go to the gym, I kept my phone in the locker. I didn't even use the mp3 player function. I just bought a separate player to use at the gym. I wasn't concerned about the phone interfering with my workout, I was worried about losing my phone. I did notice that a lot of people were obsessed with their phones, but that seems to be the norm.

3. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    I like to listen to music while working out, so my phone stays with me. And I wouldnt be leaving it anywhere either way. My phone stays with me at all times. It's called turning the ringer off. I prefer to keep mine of vibrate as it is.

4. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Amen. My phone stays in the locker.

It drives me crazy when people are texting or talking on the phone when "working out." Is it really that hard for people to separate from their phones for 30 minutes and just focus on having a good workout? People don't seem to realize that they're just hurting themselves and wasting time at the gym every time they check their phone. It's also not courteous to other people working out who have to listen to your conversation.

5. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    The only excuse for having the phone in the gym should be expecting a particular call, with notice. Nothing worse than being in the middle of an intense exercise and having to interrupt because of a call.

If your personal trainer catches you handling the phone frequently it means you're not doing your work-out well and he may take it personally. Not to mention that exercise should be a "dead time" from social life. It's your time to get "in the zone" for the benefit of your body, and this should be respected.

Even texting takes valuable minutes that should better be devoted to quality exercise time. Better to leave your phone out of the picture.

6. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I don't like to see people texting or taking on the phone at the gym either. But that behavior is commonplace now, so what are you going to do about it? I take mine with me to listen to music, because I really need music to get a better workout. But I don't interrupt my workout to talk. If I need to talk, I will take a much needed break. But sometimes you just have to ignore what other people do and focus on your own needs, anyway.

7. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    who says a personal trainer needs to be a "he"? There are plenty of female personal trainers out there. The guys have a harder time becoming one. guys need to bulk up and have extremely strong bodies.. That sells. For girls, they just need to look good and have a toned body. There may be more female personal trainers for this reason. I've seen many and it makes sense. It's harder to build muscle then to tone up and females for the most part want to tone up.
    So it's easy to become a female personal trainer if you are hot like the ones I've seen.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like bringing my phone to the gym. In fact anywhere I go because I find them often too destructive. I don't use it that frequently so I am pretty used of not having it as my buddy. This is what I hate about smartphones. They do almost pretty everything that they become commodity. There are times that you would be needing them and those times that you are using them because you need to, it happens often that you get inevitably destructed because of the notifications or anything that's coming from the outside you don't expect or don't have time yet to take notice and entertain them like text messages and calls. Once you know you have them, it gets quite hard to ignore them, at least for me. So, I would rather not know them than to have myself destructed and break my momentum and my productivity.