Your Take on dual boot phones

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by mikelouis • Mar 6, 2014.

1. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Recently I have seen how many companies are now building smartphones that can dual boot. Well this is a great invention. Now we will be able to boot with different mobile operating system. What is your take on this new technology?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't see much usefulness to be honest. Phones aren't like desktop computers, where you may need to jump over to another OS for testing purposes, or if there are some programs that you really need to use that are only available for the other OS. I think with mobile devices, consumers are expecting a more unified single operating system setup. I'm not going to jump between OS'es for stuff like text messages, phone calls, Facebook and other stuff - it's just too much of a hassle waiting for each OS to shut down and the other one to boot up. Plus you would be wasting hard drive space downloading the same things into both iterations of the OS since you can't easily transfer things from one OS to another.

3. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    Dual boot phones are being touted as the next big thing in the cellphone industry. Well, as the name signifies that these phone have the ability to run two operating systems on the same device. This is pretty common in computers where users tend to install multiple operating systems. In my opinion, these phones will only become popular with tech savvy people. These phones will not appeal a person who just wants to accomplish day-to-day tasks.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Obviously any advancement in technology is pretty much welcome, but I don't think that it would be that useful for the common person. And besides, Android is the only OS that is pretty much being used by most people, so I wonder what OS will they put as the other option? Symbian? Windows Mobile? Because we all know that Apple and Blackberry OS is exclusive only for their own handsets.

5. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    Why in the world would they do that? What's the purpose of having a dual boot phone?

The only time I ever seen anyone use dual booting for their computer is to boot up for gaming or boot up for development. Do phones allow you to do either of those? No. So why would anyone dual boot their phones? It's like creating a function that serves no purpose just because it can be done.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Where it might have somewhat of a practical application is for work use. In other words, if an employer wants to provide phones to its employees, but wants to keep the "work" related stuff secured in a Windows environment, but also allow the user to jump over to Android for their personal use - maybe something like that would be more ideal. I don't work in IT security so I am not 100% certain about all of this. I do know that for the longest time, many of the companies I worked for were dead set on only using either Windows phones or Blackberry phones for some reason, and would not allow Android phones for work use.

7. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like the idea of dual booting phones. People will always have a preference for one of the two and once you build your contacts, settings, ... on one platform, you're never going to use the other because it's completely out of sync. I even have the same situation on my laptop. Whenever I booted to linux, everything had to update in order to be useful.