Your Thoughts on Declawing

Discussion in Pets started by Spectre456 • Aug 26, 2014.

1. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    As far as I'm concerned there is a lot of misconception and misinformation in this subject. A lot of veterinary doctors will tell you that it is a completely harmless procedure with no repercussion to thr health of yoir cat, but it is definitely harmful to your pet. You can look at declawing as if you had your fingers amputated, this is what this procedure does to them. It removes the bone so there is no chance for the claws to grow anymore, this leaves your pet with a very noticeable discomfort when they walk.

Some veterinarians are ignorant of this fact, but most just want your money, and declawing is a very profitable business. So don't trust your veterinarian's every word, or mine for that matter. Do some research before you submit your pet to any type of procedure that might affect his lifestyle.

I invite you to watch a documentary that is currently on Netflix called The Paw Project and do your own research on declawing and its effects on a cat's health.

I would also like to know your thoughts on this topic. What do you know about declawing? Did you have the procedure done on your cat?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a disgusting procedure, that's for sure. Many will say they had their cats declawed and were just fine for it. Mine was one of them, before I knew what was really being done to her. That was years ago though and I haven't even thought of doing it since (I rescue cats regularly.. I've had many many pets and my furniture looks just fine). You're cat may be just fine after, but I highly doubt anyone would be ok with removing their baby's fingers in case they scratch their faces with their little nails. We take precautions and keep the nails trimmed and put little mitts on them or something. The same respect should be given to the cat. If your furniture is more important than the pet, then please, please please don't get the pet. Otherwise, look into those claw covers (I'm sorry, I don't remember the names of them, but you attach little rubber claws over top of their own) and place cat trees around the home.

I know it's easy to put a cat through this for many people because they don't have to go through it themselves, but see it for what it really is and find a way that makes you both happy.

3. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    ^Exactly, if you get a pet you should want what's best for it. I know my cat is a pain, he's taken a liking to scratching the couch in my room and totally ignores the scratching tree I bought for him. He chose it himself, but I guess he got bored of it or something, a cat's prefererences depend so much on their whims. I bought a kit of those rubber caps you're talking about, but he seemed uncomfortable with them, so I decided to just keep his claws trimmed. Maybe someday I'll find a good scratcher he'll like so he leaves my couch alone. Until then I guess I'll just have to bear with it.

4. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    My last cat was declawed and he was okay for the most part.. His feet hurt a bit, but it didn't take him long to heal up.. We just had to change his kitty litter to news papers for awhile, so it didn't bother his feet. I probably wouldn't do it again just because I feel really bad about it, but it really is nice when you don't have to worry about them tearing anything up.

5. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    For those of you who are interested, here is a site that advertises 'Anti-Declawing Braclets'. It reads, 'Paws Need Claws':

This is a topic I was only recently made aware of. Growing up my cat was declawed because she was an indoor cat and therefore didn't ruin our furniture. But now that you mention it, she was outside in the yard, attacked by a bird which pecked her on her head and she almost died! She was given medicine and lived to be 21 years old. I now wonder if she had been allowed to keep her claws if the bird wouldn't have attacked her like that. Sadly, there are so many cases of neglect among pets, I think I would focus my attentions on pet shelters. Even though I might not agree with declawing, I think most people who pay to have it done are probably taking good care of their pets, giving them regular Vet visits, nutrients, etc.

6. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    I would never ever do this to any animal I own. It's like removing your fingernails. You might think you don't need them but you always find uses for them.

Animals need those claws to be the animal they are. A dog would tear up his paws if he started digging without claws. Cats would be tormented in their neighborhood.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:

Heartland, I do agree with you, but first.. you don't have to pick one issue over the other; all animal issues are important. Just as being concerned with animal welfare in no way means we're ignoring say, human rights or hunger. Second, nobody is saying pet owners who declaw are neglecting their animals.. but they are ignoring what they're doing to their animals in the name of furniture because denial is easier. I have no doubt these cats are healthy and loved otherwise. I just don't like the thought process of "they're just animals" so it's ok to lob off their little toes. Poor kitties. All living beings have a right to their body parts; I honestly can't even believe that's a debate.

#7Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't have much knowledge in animals and their health, but it myself prefer to just keep them as is. I don't really like messing with them especially on that level. I'd sooner dye their hair then start cutting their claws because hair color is just an aesthetic change and only temporary but declawing seems drastic to me. Not that I would dye their hair though, as I find it unnecessary as well.

9. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I never would have thought it was a big deal until I read that it was a procedure that harmful to the cat. My sister's cat is declawed, I'm not sure she adopted him like that or if she did it after she adopted him, I need to ask but I would think a cat would need them to defend themselves if they're an outdoor cat like he is. And oddly enough he seems ok with being outside very frequently without having claws. I guess he doesn't get into too many fights. I think if people are worried about their furniture getting all scratched up, make a point to buy scraping furniture at the petstore so they get out their urge to scratch.

10. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's a horrible practice and I oppose it completely. Like others mentioned it's really harmful for the cat because it's like amputating the top part of your finger. It's very painful and the pain could last a while or even forever, and it leaves the cat defenseless to protect themselves.

When I was about 12-13 my parents where talking with the vet about getting our cat declawed. It was the vet who brought the subject up and sold it as a very safe procedure. But I had the internet to do my research and convinced them not to do it. I understand some people like my parents might have done that out of ignorance but I really hope the younger generation puts a stop to this cruel practice. I think that with the knowledge that we have access to today it's inexcusable if someone still decides to declaw their cats out of convenience. I don't think there is a valid reason to declaw. If your cat scratches where they shouldn't is most likely that they don't have something that they can scratch. Scratching is part of their nature. My cat's have a scratching post at the base of a cat tree, but they don't like that much. We have foam mat tiles on the "cat room" floor so they have an approved scratch surface if they don't want to use the scratching post and our furniture is scratch free.

Another excuse I hate is that if the cat is indoors only then it doesn't need claws. But the thing is how can you be sure they will always be indoors? What if some kind of emergency happened, what if it escaped or what if you die or are injured or can't take care of the cat anymore, or there is a natural disaster and you are forced to leave the cat behind? Why would you want your pet to be defenseless?

11. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Cats are born with claws for a reason. You simply have to live with the fact that they will scratch things around the house and even their owners. I for one got some scratches recently from our new kitten and I'm fine with that. I'll just be careful next time and will never resort to declawing them. Don't own a cat if you don't like the scratching part. That's part of what they do.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here, we don't have to wait for the younger generation. Most vets, I'm hearing, will try to talk you out of declawing and some refuse altogether. I was SO happy to hear that. You know if vets are climbing on board the anti-declaw wagon, it's not something you'd want to do to your pet.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is an awful procedure! I can't believe a person would do that to their cat. If you don't like claws, maybe get another pet that is not a cat?? Take the claws off your cat would be the same as taking wings of a bird. Birds love to fly, as much as cats love to jump on things and go up in places... Without their claws they get depressive because you have removed their biggest habit.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a cat that has scratched my face (almost near the eyes on some occasions) and body when he gets annoyed, and I never considered de-clawing him because I know it will be taking part of his paws away. I think to avoid the furniture being damaged, they should just place packing tape or duct tape on the legs of their wooden furniture, and I'm sure the cat won't scratch the legs of the furniture anymore because it's surface is already smooth.

15. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    We have had many cats over the years and they have all been declawed. I know that sounds horrible to some but if we want to have cats we have to do this. Our first cat destroyed everything in our home in a 6 month time frame before we spoke to the vet and they suggested this. Since that time every cat has been declawed. We ONLY have inside cats by the way... never outdoors so they are safe from anything outside. We haven't had any issues with the surgery itself and has gone smoothly. We love our cats and they are happy and healthy!! :) Wasabi and Sushi are their names by the way. :)

16. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly it really is an awful and inhumane procedure...the only 'excuse' for it is ignorance about how awful it really is, but even ignorance isn't much of an excuse these days when information is so easily and readily available. We declawed our first cat, and I've felt horrible about it ever since learning more about it- I wouldn't even consider doing it again, and if the potential for scratching anything is *that* problematic for a person, then they should just consider a different pet altogether. Cats have claws for a reason.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Declawing is the cat version of amputating a human's fingertips down to the top knuckle joint. It's barbaric and I would never have it done to a cat. There are other alternatives on the market like claw covers, so mutilating your family pet is not necessary.

18. LSJ-8

LSJ-8New Member

Threads:
    Our cats are not declawed, simply because we just never got around to it. They are five now and to declaw them now would just seem cruel. I will admit that them having claws is a pain the neck. Our house and furniture is destroyed, but it is what it is. I know that a lot of people have taken to having the claws lasered, rather than removed. I've heard that that is a much more humane route to take, although expensive. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how it works.

I can understand why individuals would want their cats to be declawed - without it, most cats destroy everything as sharpening their claws is important to their health. However, we opted not to go this route. We meant to, but never did. I don't regret it, for several reasons. Our cats have always been inside cats (we don't want the coyotes to get them, as does happen), but if they escape, I know that they will be able to defend themselves. (They have gotten close to door a few times, but never walked out the front door, thankfully).

I think that most people trust their vets opinions - after all they are supposed to be the experts. I grew up with all of my cats declawed, but now as an adult - with two cats who have not been declawed, I won't ever get my own cats declawed.

19. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Declawing is actually painful for the cats. Imagine yourself having no fingers. That is how declawing is for cats. Sure, we wont't get scratched anymore, but stop and think about how your cats will actually feel if you love them. No matter how many times my cats swipe at me, declawing never crossed my mind. For me, it can be considered as a cruel act just like debarking dogs.

20. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I'm against it. Sometimes I'm surprised vets do it any more! It must be very painful for the kitties. If you are worried about cats scratching things, get them a scratch post and trim their nails regularly. Declawing seems to be a choice for people too lazy to trim. I hope in the future the desire to declaw cats goes away completely. As others have said, cats have claws for a reason. We shouldn't take them away.