Your Thoughts On Group Gifts?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Denis Hard • Dec 17, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Last year I got a gift from friends [they were my neighbors a few years back]. It would have cost them more money if everyone bought me a gift but knowing that they'd save some cash, they instead decided to buy one gift and sent it to me.

I think this can be a good strategy for someone who might otherwise have to buy lots of gifts. Just buy one gift and send it to any of your friends or relatives who have kids. It will save you some money.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can imagine you are hard to buy for so in your case that's a nice gesture and thought had gone into it. Sometimes I don't mind sharing the cost of a gift with another if I know it's something they want and it's within my budget. I don't like group gifts where you do feel obliged to give more than you can afford. I'm better at buying gifts as I rarely get anything I want or need, so I tell people what to get now.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it can be a good idea, especially if it means the gift ends up being better quality. I'd much rather that than a bunch of cheap gifts that wouldn't last as long, or weren't to my taste. I've done this a lot over the years, especially at the office, when buying for a boss. Obviously the higher-ups make more money, so it's easier for them to splurge on nice gifts for employees, and most bosses I've had prefer nicer gifts, and are fine with everyone chipping in together for one nicer gift.

4. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    This is such a cool idea. I think most people would like one nice gift over a bunch of cheaper gifts. Now I wish I had learned about this sooner. What do bosses like in particular? I don't known if they would like the usual things like a mug.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the office, we used to give a group gift to our boss. When I became a manager, that practice continued until my husband called my attention. He said that I am already in a high position and I should try to live with the image that I am projecting. Those involed in group gifts are underlings or just staff. With that advice, I have learned to invest in gifts and now I am used to giving gifts exclusively from me and not by a group.

6. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    It depends - is there one person in charge or is this an actual group decision. If so does anyone in said group actually know what the person they're gifting likes. Do you have to give a certain amount or can you give what you have? I mean... peer pressure and overspending tend to go hand in hand with group gifting. Also white elephant presents are often an issue with group giving - like you honestly can't toss out the stupidly expensive gift that you hate the way you could with the smaller, cheaper gifts that you hate.

7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Main disadvantage of group gifts is organizing the group not just choosing the common gift, but getting old participating with the same amount of money, not just enthusiasm in making the choice.

Since I had a short-living experience working at an office, I can't say too much. I mainly was invited to participate in gift exchange in which a group used to choose one person to gift, and this person had to correspond, but equally, many times one of the parties involved used to give a expensive gift and the counterpart a cheap one.

You may say that what really matters is appreciation, not the price of a gift, but in group gift exchange there is no a real appreciation involved, simply an obligation to correspond giving back a gift as per the rules of the game.

So basically I prefer to be individualist and stay aside of group-giving activities.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I actually prefer this both as the receiver and the giver. I think it's much better to get one valuable or even expensive item rather than getting many cheap ones. This is why I try to talk to others first and see if they would like to partner up when I am thinking of giving gifts because I'd much rather give the person something more expensive than what I could afford alone. However, it feels tacky for me to ask this of others so I usually just receive many small items during holidays and birthdays but that's okay too.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's actually a good way to save money, just gather your money and then buy a gift that's nice and expensive and that receiver would really like. Just make sure that everyone is ok with the amount that needs to be chipped in.

10. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Great idea. This is a good way to make sure a teacher gets a good holiday or birthday gift from his/her class. Instead of every kid bringing in something that cost a buck or two, all the parents chip in together to buy one nice gift. I think it's a better option.

I've also done this with other people. If I know someone wants an expensive item but wouldn't buy it for themselves, I'll ask others who are planning to buy that person a gift too, to chip in on the larger item.

My husband and I have even done something similar for ourselves. Instead of buying each other "stuff" we go in together and get one nice thing for our anniversary or holidays sometimes.