Your thoughts on men who wear necklaces?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Jun 11, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You could answer the question with another? Why do women wear necklaces?

But point is men are not women. And the fact is, not many men wear necklaces. But because those who sell such kind of jewelry will make money if more people buy their stuff, you'll find a lot of reasons why a man should get himself a necklace today.

What do you guys think? Are necklaces a waste of money on men?

2. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I don't care for necklaces on men, it's not that I consider them a "woman thing" as much as I don't care for the styles of necklaces that are marketed toward men. I find most of them to be a little too heavy for my taste. If I was a man and decided to wear a necklace I would go for something simple, like a very thin gold chain.

3. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I like the metrosexual type of man. To me, a man that wears jewelry, if it's done tastefully done, looks really nice and attracts the attention of women. I don't like heavy jewelry on either men or woman, but a nice gold chain looks really nice, no matter who is wearing it. I think artisan crafted jewelry looks particularly nice on men. Something that someone took the time to design and skillfully craft.

4. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I wear a necklace for religious reasons, I like to keep my religious pendant with me :) It also looks nice to me :) My boyfriend has a religious necklace as well and I like how it looks on him. We actually have matching ones, so I can speak for why he has one, but not the other men out there. I know some who have thick gold chains, which I honestly just see as a waste of money if its there for no reason whatsoever.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can remember a time when men didn't wear any jewelry except a wedding ring. I will admit it took some getting use to. The first man that I can remember wearing necklaces was Mr. T. He was so big and "manly" that no one would question his manhood.

Now, I don't even give it a second thought when I see a man wearing a necklace. I know a lot of men who wear "new age" type of necklaces. Necklaces made of stones thought to provide protection. But I don't know if I would buy one for my significant other.

6. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I...don't really care if men wear necklaces? I'm not really fond of when men wear chains or huge, ornate crosses, or chain with weird symbols, but I don't really care too hard in the end? I actually like when guys wear those bead "surfer" necklaces.

NUP_134976_0163.
    Like that style.

I live in shore town, so there are a lot of men who wear those types of bead necklaces. Some of them will wear the type were it is just a cord with a wood "charm" on it. (I actually have a necklace like that myself, heehee.)

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally don't like men wearing necklaces or any jewelry for that matter. of course, a wedding ring is mandatory if your married, and maybe a manly bracelet, but other than that I don't like it. Men who wear necklaces look like gangsters... and that is a generalization of course, but I don't like it at all!!

8. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I can handle men with subtle jewelry but if it gets too big and obvious, I dislike it. This is true for women as well. Sometimes a piece of jewelry can accent what someone is wearing. A nice watch on a man can look good. I see too many men with heavy chains around their necks and it screams "pay attention to me". The surfer necklace as mentioned above makes me laugh - it says "I am not going to be a reliable employee if the surf is up".

Jewelry says a lot about a person. Often what it says is not what we want it to say. I think I will keep my neck free and clear of jewelry - but what does that say about me?

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really think anything of it. However, it seems to me like most men that wear necklaces wear the heavy chain type and that looks tacky to me. Aside from that, I see religious necklaces but those don't affect me either way because they don't jump out at me. They are just there.

10. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    My elder brother wears one but I really don't think it suits him or any other men. But I don't mind about what they want to do about it though. After all it is a jewelry.

But it would be too awkward if my husband does though because he also dislike putting a wristwatch on, so this is something on his neck :D

11. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I guess it's something I've never really thought about. It depends on the man's personal style. I think that those beaded/hippie/earthy type necklaces can look really cool on a guy with a similar style. I'm not a fan of gold chains or crosses however.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I adore necklaces on men, especially large semi-precious stone pendants set in silver. I am attracted to men who wear silver or copper jewellery. I also like to see necklaces, bracelets and rings on them. My partner is a jeweller and wears his own creations with pride. Wherever we go, there is always someone staring at him, usually other men. I wonder what they are thinking. Also a lot of women start conversations with him about his extravagant jewellery, usually inquiring about custom made items.

13. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I think necklaces (and earrings) look great on men. They aren't just for girls - in my opinion. Depending on the type, a necklace can be very masculine and actually add to the mystique of a male.

Example . . .
    chokerz4men-bear-necklace.

14. CraftsAndLooms

CraftsAndLoomsMember

Threads:
    It all depends on the look! If a man is looking good and feeling good in the accessories that he is wearing...then its all fine!

15. daleo717

daleo717Member

Threads:
    I do like it when a man wears a gold or silver chain, it makes him look nice. But then if a man doesn't like to wear a necklace that is fine also. I think a nice ring on man is good also. I do not think the necklaces should just be for men. My son when he graduated from elementary school asked for a silver chain and bought him one for graduating. He is very masculine and it looked nice on him.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think necklaces are considered luxury items for either men or women, so technically, either can be labeled as a "waste of money", so I wouldn't really call it any more or less of a waste on a man over a woman buying or wearing a necklace. As for how it looks, I think it suits some men but not for others, just as it is with any other fashion item, but in general, I think it's much better or at least much easier to accept for men not to have such accessories because they are usually encouraged to tone down their style as evidenced by mostly neutral or muted colors when it comes to the dress items for men. I'm honestly not in favor of this mentality because I think men should not only be allowed but also encouraged to be as expressive as anyone else.

17. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, it's not. But as I see it men's necklaces tend to be more expensive. So when they wear a necklace it sure to be very expensive. Their necklaces are heavier golds, white golds or silver unlike with those of the women which tend to be just thin and so not that expensive. And I think they wear it as a sign of status symbol or of course to express themselves. But generally men wearing necklaces is nothing out of ordinary for rich men or for who have more than enough to be able to afford this jewelry.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a man, but I think it's ok for men to wear necklaces as long as it's not tacky to look at. There was a time when buddha beads and buddha necklaces were popular, but I find the beads to be cheap-looking, so it made the men who wore those buddha necklaces look tacky in my opinion.

19. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have a thing for dog tags. And a man who’s secure enough to wear more feminine-style necklaces will usually send my heart aflutter *cough* Nicky Wire *cough*

Other than that, it’s kind of something I can take or leave. I have nothing against it in general, it’s more that I don’t tend to find most necklaces geared toward men aesthetically appealing, There are exceptions, though, usually on the more subtle side.

20. MarisaWilliams

MarisaWilliamsNew Member

Threads:
    It's Ok if he wear necklaces but what matters for me is that he wear something very unique which attract me more towards him.