Your Thougts On Wearing Track Suits

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Aug 9, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I thought it was a teen issue until I heard from those who are 'pro-track suit.' According to the said 'experts' on fashion dressing down or wearing track suits to places where you shouldn't be wearing a track suit, gives you an air of competence and tells everyone else around you that you don't care about what they feel about you because you're successful.

Would you go to such lengths just to stand out from the crowd?

2. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    No - I wouldn't make such a big effort to stand out in a crowed. I would (however) make an extra effort to be comfortable and cute. Track suits are wonderful weekend wear. They are available in a variety of colors, sizes and patterns. Also, they're another excuse to sport tennis shoes. For people like myself working 9 to 5 jobs with strict dress codes, track suits are a welcome change during off hours.

Check it out . . .
    [​IMG]

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't mind what people wear as long as they are happy, but I personally don't like the way a track suit looks. Some of them are okay, and if worn in the right places then they don't stick out too much or if the person fits track suits well, but most of the time I'd prefer shirt and jeans over them. Like I said, though, it's just my preference and it doesn't affect me at all if people around me wear it. I have my own style to worry about.

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I don't wear track suits unless I am actually going for a run, but if other people choose to wear them and they're happy than good for them. I do find the "experts" rationale for wearing track suits rather strange. To me it comes across as rude and somewhat pretentious but perhaps I'm missing something or that's the point.

5. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    No way! The only time I use a tracksuit is when I'm doing exercise. Or if you're going around the corner to the shop, maybe. Other than that, it just seems very cheap and low brow. Maybe I'm a bit of a snob, but that's just the way I look at it.

6. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    That's pretty funny! I've never heard anyone say that about a track suits. I think that anytime I see someone that isn't on a track training wearing a track suit it comes off tacky. Maybe if they were lounging in their living room.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm sorry but that's just wrong! Track suits are designed to be worn during exercise ONLY. There's no way I'd go too far out of my house or immediate area in a track suit. They have evolved to be used as lounge wear, which I don't mind as it's within the privacy of my four walls. Anyone who wears tracks suits to go out to restaurants and other places for which such an attire is unacceptable, comes off as rough, simple and lacking in class I'm afraid!

8. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    I find track suits way overused when they shouldn't be. I don't mind seeing them in the weekend or in the park but when you come to work wearing a track suit that raises a big red flag for me. They are horrendous and do not have a place outside recreational/training uses.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would find someone wearing a tracksuit or a pajama in public crowded places like malls a bit eccentric, but I would admire them at the same time for wanting to be different and not caring about how other people think. Deep inside though, I think that's a big fashion faux pas, but hey, live and let live. However I think calf-length jogging pants are ok though for public wear.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Tracksuits have a bit of a bad reputation in my country. We tend to think people who wear these for non-exercise purposes are scruffy and lazy. It's true that we think the wearer doesn't care what they look like, but this is in a bad way. We would call it "chavvy".

11. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    That is interesting and I can see how it could be true in some upper circles. I do happen to dress properly most places because I love fashions. But I do know a few very well off people who dress down in ways to certain events, in a way I would never be caught dead in. So I do see it can be interpreted as confidence in one's social status, so much that they are unconcerned about dressing to fit it. I think though you have to appear as confident, and somehow also have a certain physical appearance to pull it off, otherwise you can just come off as low class and unkempt.

12. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I think that's plain and simple power tripping. I'm sure there are many other ways to prove you're successful, and not by doing something ridiculous like that. Also, I strongly believe in dressing up appropriately all the time, and if you do wear that, it also gives the impression that you are not knowledgeable of proper customs and practices that a real successful professional should know by heart.

13. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    One other thought I have on this is that it is disrespectful - and, that disrespect is what can show arrogance, haughtiness, and that you do view yourself as above attempting to fit into the dress standard for the event. I really do know of people that do this. I will even say for my son's baptism someone did this. So yes I really do agree with the original post, it can show success, but also all the arrogance and attitude that can come with that.