Your Worst Travelling Experience?

Discussion in Travel started by kingusama92 • Apr 28, 2012.

1. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    I don't travel too much, so I don't have too many experiences to pick from.

The one experiences that I had was on Kuwait Airways. It wasn't anything shocking, but the food was horrible. I thought it would be acceptable and that I would lower my standards, however it really was bad!

I have had plane food, but this was atrocious.

The food was cold and tasted like food that is probably served is prison to the worst criminals. Okay, I exaggerate :)D), but it wasn't pretty.

Do you have any experiences that stand out?

2. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Very many years ago, I was working many hundreds of kilometers from home. As usual I went home for the festive season. There were no seats left. The only way to go home was to take the third class train. It was totally packed. I spent the entire journey of more than ten hours sitting on the stairs of the train.

3. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    The worst experience I have had is trying to find out the hotels rating. I stayed at a hotel once which was rated very highly, but was severely disappointed. The heated pool was not heated and was actually very cold. With this being so cold, it was nearly impossible to swim in and the hot tub was not much warmer! Very disappointed with the hotel because of the pool!

4. hanzuke50

hanzuke50Member

Threads:
    One of my worst experiences was buying a stand-by ticket at what I deemed the worst possible time to have bought one. I ended up waiting for nearly 2 days in the airport as it was apparently peak season and every flight was booked. One of the most harrowings experiences of my life. Good thing I brought along a few magazines.

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Me and my family went to Venezuela last year. It all went terrific until we got there. The Caracas airport was a piece of crap, they didn't even have water! The airline was the worst too. We had to wait extra 6 hours for delayed flights. People from all over the world were there, and they were all getting pretty anxious.

6. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    My worst travel experience was not the fault of the travel company, but it was still pretty horrendous. We went to Germany's Christmas Markets by coach, and we were there during the bad floods of the early 1990's. Several of our trips had to be cancelled, because the towns we were due to visit were under water, and we were in the middle of a Rhine Cruise when it burst its banks, so we had to go round in circles until it was safe for the boat to dock. We were staying near the confluence of the Rhine and Moselle Rivers, and we were one of the last coaches out of the area before the Moselle broke its banks. Some holidaymakers were stranded there for days.

It didn't put us off Germany, though - we've been back several times since, both in summer and winter.

7. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    My worst travel experience, I mentioned elsewhere, I think. Sorry for repeating but yeah: it was a nightmare. And it was really a flight from London to Edinburgh on a budget flight. I can barely remember anything of that trip, as I was so sick, my ears were not only blocked but paining! We were nauseous, cold, sick, tired etc....

It was a living nightmare. I have not taken a budget flight since. Rather pay a bit more, and live.

8. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    I went on one of those group tours to Ireland. The entire trip was delightful except the flight itself. In Chicago, the overhead bins were completely full, so the airline insisted we check our carry-on bags. A lot of the bins weren't full; they just had business class overcoats in them. The attendants refused to ask the owners to put them over their seats. This was in the coach section storage.

The attendant at the front kept telling us to drag our bags to the back, and the attendant at the back told us to go up front. This was just one of the horrid parts of the service this airline provided.

9. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I will never forget my first Hong-Kong trip! The picture of the hotel on the internet that we decided to stay at looked really nice and perfect. But when we got there, it's not the same! It was really horrible that we even decided to move to a new hotel that very same day. Plus their staff looks scary!!!

10. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    The worst was when we were coming back by bus from holidays and we had an accident - nothing dangerous for us, but we were abroad, about 30 minutes from our border, and we had to wait for the police and for the results of the guy we hit operation and it all took more than 6 hours! So we set off again after midnight and the driver was so stressed and tired that he drove 2h to the borderline. We were late for our train and we waited another few hours for the next one. It was a nightmare.

11. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I have two really bad traveling experiences; the first is when I was 12 and we were traveling in a cramped car from Kansas to North Dakota. I had a really bad head cold, so my ears were clogged really bad. My throat also hurt, which sucked. The other time was when I was 9 or so and we were going to visit my grandparents in Indiana. There was an extremely violent rain storm and we couldn't see the road AT ALL. I was so scared that we were going to die.

12. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    One year on a vacation to Las Vegas, I somehow ended up throwing up at every meal. Not fun.

13. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I would say my worst experience was traveling to Philadelphia from Miami. They over booked the plane and the right wing actually had some damage that has us waiting at the airport for an extra 4 hours. Everyone tried to get out of traveling on that plane but instead they squeezed in more people. There were people everywhere!!! And there was a storm and we hit turbulence. You can imaging everyones face when the place started shaking mid air in a storm knowing that the wing had just been quickly repaired for an overbooked flight. It was terrible

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I have had my luggage lost more than once or destroyed. :( At one point, they took my luggage off my plane at a layover and sent it to another city. When I got home, they tried to tell me I requested it and didn't want to pay to have it shipped to me where I was either. It was a mess.

15. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    On a flight with two layovers, I was stopped for the special search each time going and coming. My luggage was delayed 24 hours. Luckily, I had a carryon that had what I needed. I also lost my license on the trip back. It was the worst travel experience I have ever had. I haven't flown since.

16. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    My worst traveling experience was when my cousin was having her quinceanera and me, my mother, and my aunt were traveling to San Antonio because I was in her quinceanera. Well I must have eaten something right before we left. I'm not sure if I had food poisoning or what, but I was sick the entire time. I remember only sleeping there. The whole trip was so blurry. I remember the whole family going bowling and other activities while all I did was sleep. The only time I felt better was right before the quinceanera and then we left right after. I still remember that trip being the worst I've ever been on.

17. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    My last trip to South America was a horrible travel experience. I always fly with Delta when visiting SA and this flight was overcrowded to the point where they booked two other people in my seat. Eventually, I was seated in first class because a guy who had a quarrel with TSA was not allowed to board the plane. The food in first class looked appealing, but it was horrible. The food did not taste good and it was extremely cold. This was the first time I had any issue traveling with Delta. After returning stateside I contacted Delta and complained about my trip, they offered a 50% discount on my next trip to SA. I hope this time traveling with Delta would go as smoothly as it did the other times before this incident.

18. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    I was randomly selected at the airport for the FULL pat down. They thoroughly patted me down and my workmate. They dumped out bags out for everyone to see, held up our unmentionables even opened a box of tampons and were inspecting them. It was a work trip so we had business suits and lots of things we had picked up from the event we attended. They made a mess of everything and did everything in their power to humiliate us. Luckily we were fairly young and the fact that the guy was swinging a hot pink thong around just made us mad that they were allowed to waste our time like that more than it embarrassed us. I really feel the male guards were mad because we refused to let them pat us and waited for the female agent. They seemed way too eager to do it. Anyway they made us miss our flight and had to spend 48 hours in the aorport to catch a standby flight.

19. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    The worst travel experience I have is when traveling to a remote island just to watch

. There were no vehicles to ride going to another side of the island and I have a trauma riding a single bike. What we did is hire a pumpboat to reach other places.

20. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Wow savergrl. Where are you from?

I've had the full pat downs and whatnot before, but they always have a female do it by default. I've never even had the option of the males doing it. Maybe things have changed since that trip of yours? And they've gone through my stuff, but not to that crazy extent. Holy cow.