Parrots

Discussion in Pets started by Gelsemium • Feb 12, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always liked parrots, I think they are extremely intelligent animals that can really communicate with us. Also, I love the fact that they copy my whistle. :) I don't know though it they are a lot of hard work or not. Anyone with experience with parrots?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't had any parrots as pets, so I can't share anything about interacting with them, but I'm sure they would be very entertaining and fun to be around with. I think they are quite expensive though as compared to other plain birds like lovebirds, for example.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never had a parrot but they had one in a vet's office once. I think it's interesting how they can talk to you. Also I'm not sure if it's a parrot or a parakeet but there is a bird in my complex. Often when we walk by, they will sound like they're saying "oh my god". They've made this other kind of weird noise a few times. I think it is so funny and I never get tired of hearing it. I guess that's the bird's greeting.
    Yes Sidney I'd imagine they are quite expensive due to their intelligence.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    There was a parrot in the coffee shop close to my parents house, so I had a good relation with that parrot and he learned my whistling, I loved that. Also, he was super smart, I really liked that bird.

5. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I love parrots!! There's a small shop that tucked away in one of shop alleys, right by the bay, that has a parrot that lives in the store. The shop owner lives up the store, and brings the parrot down to chill whilst he works the shop during the summer. It's rather delightful to walk into a shop, to hear a bird merrily chirp "Hello, hello!" to you. We also have the local feed store, that supplies a ton of farmers and horse trainers, that along with having tons of cats that roam about, they have two hyacinth macaws! Their owner died and was a friend of feed stores owner, so he took them in.

I've never had an parrots personally, mostly because I've always had cats and they're always been former strays, so they probably try and eat the poor birds. But I have plenty of friends with parrots or other birds! I have a few friends who have Sunset Conure parrots and they're little sweeties! :D

6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    My sister has two parrots. She, like you, loves them to pieces. It doesn't seem incredibly difficult to take care of them. I do notice she cleans their cages every day but I don't think that's so much out of necessity as it is just cleanliness. She also allows them to fly around the house freely but they both know they can only use the bathroom in the cage. I was pretty impressed by that.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Can I just say I'm not a fan of birds being caged or wild animals being kept as pets in general? I prefer to see in them in their natural habitat where they really thrive and can roam free as nature intended. I'm not judging or preaching, just stating what my stance is on the matter. So no, I've never kept a parrot or interacted with one.

I can also appreciate their intelligent and can't get over the fact that they can talk!

8. Nickchick

Threads:
    Yeah that's true but when you think about it, the same can be said for dogs because their ancestors were wolves. All animals are wild until you domesticate them.
    But I know what you are saying, I think if I had a bird I would probably try to let them fly around the house if I could even in the backyard (if I had one) if I can trust that they will come home.

9. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I had two cockatiels that could be handled around and let out of their cages. I could have taught them tricks or words, apparently, with some patience and technique, but I was young and had no real idea how to go about it. That being said, any bird that is like a parrot must be well cared for by its human: small birds that live many in a cage will take care of each other, but single birds like parrots will form a bond with their owner, so the owner has to give them sufficient love and attention. If the owner goes away for a long time or loses interest, the bird will more than likely become depressed and this could have various consequences.

So like for many animals, it's good to remember to not buy a pet just because it's "cool", but rather really see how long would the lifespan of this animal be and make a real commitment to your new friend. Otherwise, it's just unfair to the poor thing.

10. Lushlala

Threads:
    I get what you mean about domestic animals having been wild animals at some point in the past. I'm just happy we're not in the stone ages any more, where people in all likelihood needed to domesticate animals such as dogs i.e to help them in the hunting and gathering of food as well as for their protection.

I hate that in these modern times, we domesticate wild animals not for survival but rather for our own selfish amusement, and a sense of entitlement. It's cute, I want it and I'll have it. Never mind the animal's needs. I've been around many wild animals in their own habitat, and when you see them kept as pets it's truly heartbreaking. I mean, for argument's sake; someone keeping a lion as a pet is just cruel! I never sympathise with people who end being mauled by such animals, to be honest. Just my opinion :)

11. Lushlala

Threads:
    Ok, this is not a reply to the post; I need to go off on a tangent!

Don't you just hate it when you post a comment and then later notice mistakes on it, but can't find the edit button?! It's a MAJOR bug bear of mine, and obviously that last sentence was meant to read:

I can also appreciate their intelligence and can't get over the fact that they can talk!

I'm sure you all got the drift, but still; I just had to correct it for my own benefit :)

12. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I've never had a parrot but a grew up with some budgerigars. They were great. They would always sing to us and even made a few talking sounds. I'd like to have a parrot, but I think keeping and maintaining one in a respectful way would be difficult.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    My kids have also learned to love parrots so now when we pass by an animal shop they want to enter and they go around looking if there are parrots there, I think they still believe it's the same one. :D

14. Nickchick

Threads:
    Yeah I always think about the animal's needs first. I actually try to walk the other way with my dogs when I see the wild rabbits outside because I want them to have their peace.
    I think it'd be cool to have a dolphin as a pet because they're my favorite animal so I guess I get it with some animals but I know it's not practical because they belong in the ocean.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We used to have some birds at home but I was apprehensive about keeping them because I dislike the idea of keeping birds in cages so I convinced my family to just let them go. I have seen a few pet owners who have a much wider space for birds to be able to move around at the garden of their house and I think those would probably be the only circumstances I'd be willing to accept for keeping birds as pets.

16. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    Not only does the owner need to give the bird sufficient attention, they need to ensure that the bird has sufficient stimulation by regularly rotating their toys and that they are given time to play outside the cage each day. Their cage should not be isolated away from family members and it should be clean and comfortable. These steps will all help to stave off depression in a bird.

In general parrots are quite easy to look after, they must be given a varied diet, not just seeds and water and they need bathing. A bird bath made out of a shallow bowl and an inch or two of water will suffice. Parrots need to be groomed regularly to prevent them flying away and they will need to have their nails clipped.

17. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Ahh, fair enough. But toys, that's pretty much a given for most pets, right? Hamsters, dogs, cats.. Though my cockatiel (not quite a parrot, but caracteristically close) was often allowed out of his cage, so he found something to do (flying around and trying to eat my books, for instance).