Which Plants Do You Have The Best Luck With Indoors?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by hayrake • Apr 18, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I love house plants but don't tend to have luck with a lot of them. It hasn't always been so, though, which makes me think that there is something about the environment here that makes the difference.

Or maybe it's just me. Maybe at one time I was a bit more diligent to care for plants than I am now. I don't know.

At any rate, I find that snake plant, mother in law's tongue, cacti and some bromeliads are my best bets anymore.

2. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Err. I killed my only cactus, but I've been able to grow rosemary, mint, oregano and green onions pretty well. I like plants I can eat! :D

3. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, I love herbs! I tend to grow them in my garden, though. They do so much better for me there than they would if I brought them in. And I always manage to dry more than enough to get me through the winter and into the next growing season.

I've managed to kill a few cacti along the way, too; but generally have pretty good luck with them. And, because I have such good luck with cacti I have figured many times that I should also have good luck with jade plants.

I'm not sure why I figure that. It's not like they are in the same family or anything. It's just that I would think that jade plants would like a similar amount of water and similar conditions. Must not be so, though, because they never make it for me.

What a shame. I really like them.

4. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Ah, I don't have a garden -- at the most, I've grown herbs on the balcony. But I think I'd still keep them close, even if I had a garden; I like to just pick a few leaves here and there as I'm cooking. :)

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My chilli plants always do quite well and yield enough fruit to last the year. I just keep them on windowsills and will move them aound the house at different times of day, depending on where the sun is.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OP, Aren't snake plant and mother in law's tongue the same plant?
    They're just two different names for Sansivieria Trifasciata, aren't they?
    The third name for the same plant is Saint George's Sword.
    I have two different varieties of snake plant, one that's green and white and a green and yellow one.

The plants that are doing well in my dark living room and are known to do well in most indoor spaces are Chinese Evergreen, Pothos, ZZ plant, Boston fern and Peace Lily.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a bit of a green thumb, so I don't really have much trouble with growing anything indoors. My favorite plants are edible pants. I have a variety of herbs growing on my windowsill, along with cherry tomatoes, chilies, tiny bell peppers and aloe vera. My balcony is a spot for bigger vegetables, such as cucumbers and okra. I also love growing nasturtiums and sunflowers in my lounge room. :)

8. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I believe you are right, but it seems to me that my mother in law's tongue grows wider and not so tall as the snake plant. Other than that, they do look very much like the same plant.

9. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Never have I thought about growing sunflowers indoors. How wonderful is that! I think I would love it as sunflowers always look so cheerful.:)
    I do have three different varieties of mint that I grow in pots as well as in spots around my garden. I might try to bring the pots in this year and just see how they do, though I do always have plenty of mint dried for tea by the time their growing season is over.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are different varieties of Sansivieria. Some of them grow wider. Others grow taller. There are different varieties of roses, but they are all still roses, even the mini roses. I saw a person on Pinterest that collected 10 different kinds of snake plant/mother in law's tongue. There's quite a bit of variety within that one plant.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not at all green fingered, so I panicked when someone in my previous job gave me a cactus plant for my birthday. Don't get me wrong, I love plants and appreciate them when I see them in someone else's garden. The plant was tiny when I got it, but it really grew and thrived under my care over a few years. I read up a bit on it and got some plant feed, and watered it once a week. It must be the easiest plant to take care of! I was sad to have to give it to a friend when we left the UK to move to Botswana :(