Need Suggestions For Simple, No Mess, Breakfast Foods

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Apr 21, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've posted some similar options before, but it was mostly in reference to grab and go food for those busy mornings or stuff for the kids. Now, I need something for a hungry man.

We are planning a getaway, and I don't really want to go out for breakfast. I'd prefer to stay at the cabin watching the sunrise over the mountains, but I also don't want to spend my luxuriating time cooking or cleaning up.

So, what's good, satisfying, quick, easy, and no mess? Ha-ha.

I was thinking about picking up some of that pre-cooked bacon (and maybe some croissants and fruit). I never buy the bacon, because it's so expensive. I though I might grab some for the occasion, if I catch a sale. Can you freeze it? Is it any good? Do you have any other ideas, especially some that are a better value?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I always make granola bars, take veggie sticks, and a hot water pot to make my own tea and coffee in the room. I'm sure you can freeze bacon as well, but I've never done it when it was already cooked. You can also take along peanut butter and jelly which works good on bread for any meals. With all the instant soups, cereals, and coffees there are out there it shouldn't be too hard to find ways to have a few meals in the hotel room or wherever it is you are staying. My mom used to freeze sandwiches and water bottles so that it doubled as 'ice' and when it melted we would have more water and more sandwiches. The sandwiches will only last a couple days though but that's when you can turn to the dried food you bring. Trail Mix is a big favorite too and you can usually find small yogurts wherever you go and add some of the trail mix to make it heartier in case you'll be hiking or doing something more physical. Also there are powdered drink mixes which can be shaken in a bottle of water. Not very tasty but it will give you the vitamins you need to start your day off right.

3. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKatyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure how rustic a cabin you'll be staying in, but if there's an oven, I'd suggest making a breakfast casserole ahead of time and baking it in the morning. You could even freeze it if you have a long drive to get there.

If there is no oven, the same type of idea could be accomplished by assembling a crock-pot breakfast in a freezer bag. In that case, you could transfer it to the crock and start it on low the night before, to wake up to a delicious breakfast first thing! Sounds pretty good right now, as a matter of fact. :D

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I have the perfect thing for you...

Personally, I throw veggies in the mix underneath but that's just an additional step that causes mess if you're not willing to fry them up a bit.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why don't you make an assortment of frittatas? You can make some with bacon, potatoes, peppers, mushrooms and then use them when you need to.

Another idea is make them as muffins and bake them and then keep them int he the fridge as you can eat then cold or warm. My favorite is breakfast pizza, take a pizza base, add toppings like bacon and mushrooms and tomato paste and cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes. Another dish that's great cold.

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ohhh, thank you. That looks good. I think I will give it a try. I think my husband might actually like this.

Thank you, everyone, for your great ideas. Frittatas might be nice too. Some of these ideas would be good any time! My kids would like the breakfast pizza.

*The cabin isn't one of the rustic types. It's modern, luxurious, lots of amenities, and a great view. I can't wait!

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If you are trying to keep costs down, the fresh bacon may be cheaper. Plus in terms of keeping things simple, instead of pan frying it or microwaving it in batches, you can simply just place it all on a baking sheet in the oven and let it cook slowly. You could even make enough for a few days, and simply reheat some of the leftover bacon in the microwave each of the following days.

Maybe whip up a large batch of home made Belgian waffles and or some pancakes too. Both freeze well so all you have to do is toast them or warm them up in the microwave.

Scrambled eggs are so simple and quick to make, and inexpensive and filling, that shouldn't be too much trouble to cook for everyone else. If you want to change things up, you can try blending some stuff like thawed spinach, perhaps some roasted red pepper strips and cheeses like shredded mozarella and feta and pouring it all into a baking dish and baking it.

Breakfast burritos are a lot of fun too for a change of pace.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I make the breakfast burritos quite often, but some of these other ideas sound great.

I was thinking that I may grab some bagels or make a batch of biscuits. Then, I can just cook up some bacon or sausage ahead of time, freeze it, and warm it through as needed. I'll grab some fruit just before we go, so we'll have plenty of fresh fruit to snack on too.

Frittata still sounds really good too, so maybe I'll have that or make some mini quiches. I can have that one day and biscuits or bagels the next day.