Cheap Anti-depressants?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Denis Hard • May 15, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm currently battling depression . For a while I thought I could deal with it without having to takes any meds. But nothing is working. I heard that one doesn't need a doctor to prescribe Zoloft and the like as long you know what your problem is.

Do you guys know of any effective but cheap anti-depressants?

#1May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
  2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Anti-depressants are a band-aid to the issue. I would not buy any and only take them if prescribed. Even then if they are prescribed, consider not taking them as the side effects can be bad and what no one tells you is that it can take 1-2 years to come off.

There are other ways to tackle depression, they may be harder and not as quick as a tablet, but in the long run better for your health.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    1-2 years? I thought I could take the drugs for a month or two, shake off the depression and stop taking the meds. But if it would mean taking drugs for one or two years and possibly have to deal with addiction to anti-depressants, then it's better not to take them.

Any tips on how to deal with this if drugs aren't a good solution to the problem?

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, no one tells you these things. For anti-depressants to work, they take 6 months to get into the system and then it can take the same amount of time to come off them. There is no quick fix. They change your body, your reactions and your personality and it's not a cure.

I have PMed you. Sometimes we all go through a rockier patch and you have to look at the causes and triggers, so for each person it's individual on how to cope.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Firstly, OP, I am sorry to hear that you are battling depression. I have been there more than a few times in my life, so I understand. But I have to agree with the post that I quoted. Anti-depressants are a band-aid to the issue, and sometimes it is a band-aid that does little to even mask the issue. We've got to get to the root. I went to therapy. It did not do too much. But I helped myself through changing my thought patterns, and the way that I looked at things. The depression vanished.

6. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    5-htp is pretty effective for many people, and relatively cheap compared with pharmaceuticals. I wouldn't even take anti-depressants anyway. They are notorious for side effects that far outweigh benefits in my opinion. Diet and exercise should always by your first course of action.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For some people anti-depressants work combined with therapy, but one should never self-diagnose and choose medication.

I have a friend who has been on anti-depressants for nearly 15 years with therapy and that's kind of sad. There is no quick or cheap fix and one thing you must accept that there is no time limit unlike a cough or cold, it doesn't go away suddenly.

8. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    My husband has depression and I have been trying to find some way to get him to snap out of it. He had a bad experience with depression meds a few years ago, and now refuses to go to the doctor to get some help. I have been doing a little research and have learned that take St. Johns Wort can help out with symptoms a little.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, different combinations work for different people. Or so it would appear, anyway. But I'd always so that it is best to go with the doctor, even if you do it just to have the safety net of the doctor's guiding hand. I find that with mental health issues, they really leave most of the choices within the patient's hands. They will suggest stuff, but ultimately it is up to you, unless you are receiving some sort of monetary disability benefit because of it. Then they will force you to take action towards doing something about your issue. Therapy, in my opinion, is always the best course of action when it comes to depression. I never had to take pills, although they were suggested to me.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's very hard when someone close has depression, but they also have to want to fight it. Good therapists find the root of the cause; an event in the past, a person or self-esteem issues that are triggered. That's the only way and when the person wants to admit it and face it. St. Johns wort does help, but can also affect other medications so do be aware if he takes anything else as mixing medications can have dire effects.

For people that don't want to try anything or have given up there are other methods of healing, but again these will only work if the person wants to be healed. In the meantime meds will just help you get through the day. To overcome depression, for some there has to be the confrontation of more pain first.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Perhaps you should see a professional therapist for further advice. Ask people who once went through the same predicament if there's a therapist they can suggest. Don't just buy anti-depressants to alleviate your depression. You may just be second-guessing things. To avoid taking more anti-depressants than necessary, wait for the therapist to prescribe you with the right drugs.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would stay away from the prescription drugs. Why don't you give some simple herbal remedies, such as St. John's Wort or valerian a go? St. John's Wort (Hypericum) helped me a lot when I went through a stage of insomnia and depression. It works in a subtle way. You usually start feeling better after two to three weeks. Valerian will relax you and make you sleep deep and peacefully. I find that insomnia and depression usually go hand in hand. I hope you will feel better soon.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I tried getting on Zoloft several years ago, since I noticed I was drinking at lot more than I ever had in the past - mainly to get to sleep at night due to anxiety. You don't get immediate effects from it, as another poster noted, it takes weeks for it to start having any impact on you. Personally I did not have a good experience with it at all. For one, my doctor kept raising my dose for months, because I wasn't feeling anything from it at all. Then when I did start noticing some effects from it, they weren't what I was expecting:

I felt really "blah" throughout the day. Not angry or depressed, but not happy either. I was blank and emotionless and lost interest in pretty much everything. I could barely even force myself to smile at anything. To make matters worse, when I did drink while on them (which they tell you not to do), *then* I would get super happy and energetic and euphoric. This in turn caused my drinking in the evenings to escalate more, and I would stay up even later, watching movies or reading stuff online.

I also found out that one of the side effects of Zoloft (mind you I was on a heavy dose of it too) are seizures. Couple that with me drinking heavily, which can also induce seizures, as well as consuming large quantities of Diet Coke (aspartame is also linked to seizures), I was a walking time bomb. I was having pretty severe seizures if not every month, every other month.

Then I ended up having to take even more prescriptions to treat my seizures, so I was on like three prescriptions total, an antidepressant, plus two bi-polar meds (which are also used to treat seizures, I'm not bi-polar). I honestly wished I had never gotten on to a Zoloft regimen to begin with.

14. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Wait! Actually the cheapest antidepressants are usually research chemicals that may cause you more harm than good.

Being underdeveloped medications can be obtained online without prescription, but since many people buy these to abuse the substances as recreational drugs, there is no guarantee you buy an adulterated product.

I would try to get a prescription from a health provider to safely overcome depression, or would go with holistic, alternative or natural herbs alternatives instead.

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would definitely steer clear of "research chemicals" - these are synthetics of your harder street drugs, and not something you want to mess with. They are much harsher on your system, causing emotional spikes, cravings, hallucinations, and psychosis.

I went on a "bender" with these a few years ago back when Mephpdrone and MDPV were the popular chemicals - and it's just as bad as being strung out on cocaine or meth. One of the drugs in particular, called "Banshee Dust" had me literally crying non-stop for like three days, and incredibly depressed.

The government is also starting to crack down a lot on the companies selling them as well as people ordering them, so the last thing you need is to be dealing with a drug arrest on your record.