Selling Gifts?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Theo • Nov 20, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you ever feel guilty if you sell a gift? I don't, but rather than re-gift or donate it to charity I will sell an item. I've only sold items from ex friends, so I have never had to face the person again. These days when people do buy me gifts that I would never use, I do hint at what gifts they can never go wrong with. I still don't wish to offend people, but hope they get the hint.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    i haven't ever done this, but a couple of times, I traded the gifts like in a "white elephant" trading thing like at a Christmas party. I usually get exactly what I ask for and if I don't, I will return it to the store to get something I can use. I would feel bad selling a gift honestly. There are gift card trading sites, and buy back sites online though.

3. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    The only time I have ever sold gifts from another person is when I cashed in on some jewelry from an old boyfriend and jewelry from family members that had later broken and was not wearable. I used the cash from selling the old jewelry in order to buy Christmas presents for my family that year.

I have re-gifted gifts before, specifically gift cards. Sometimes my husband or I will be gifted with a gift card for a place that we do not usually go, buy if I know that a family member would use it I will re-gift it to them. I have also considered selling unused gift cards on websites like Plastic Jungle.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have re-gifted an item that I had no use for but I have never sold a gift. I have a friend that won a computer that they did not need because they had just purchase a new computer better than the one she won, she took it to the pawn shop and got money for it.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never sold a gift but I have put a lot of ones I never use in a stockpile and I plan on selling them all someday. As for feeling bad about it, I don't really feel bad about it even a little bit. I know I wouldn't mind if someone I gave a gift to eventually decided to sell it. It's theirs now and they make the decisions on what to do with it, and I'd hate to think someone was sacrificing their comfort for long periods of time just so they can be polite to me. I think these days it's much better to be practical so I give that a lot more importance over courtesy.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If someone buys me a gift which I don't like or something that I won't use then since I can do whatever I please with that gift, I'll sell it if I have to or re-gift it.

While yeah there are some people who won't be happy that you sold or got rid of their gift, I don't see why anyone should feel bad about it. Once they buy someone a gift what the recipient does with it shouldn't concern them.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Although I sometimes recycle gifts but selling never entered my mind. But on second thought, there was an instance when my husband sold a pair of sunglasses that he received simply because it was very popular at the time and that he already has a duplicate. With recycling, it is important to know where the gift came from because it is embarrassing if I had given it to the one who gave it to me.

8. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have regifted a few items I've received. I'm a teacher and at Christmas I get a lot of gifts and some are just things I would never use. Sometimes I can regift something to a family member or friend if it was a quality gift from a student. I've given soaps, body lotions a regifts. I've donated items like books, towels, clothing, scarfs, candles, and picture frames. I have even regifted Christmas gifts to my kids teachers. So presents I'd received I have given to my kids' teachers the following year. I've done this to my son's grade 2 teacher who we really weren't too fond of but felt we had to give a present at Christmas time to her.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well if you need cash then selling what you don't like is the best thing to do even if someone else gave you that item as a gift, right? Besides, as long as the giver will never know what you did to that item that he gave you then I think it's all good. It's better to sell it than have that item gather dust because you have no use for it or you don't want it, right?

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I so agree @sidney@sidney because nostalgia means very little in the end. To be honest I get more annoyed if people buy unthoughful gifts and I feel more justified in selling it of I can. An exes mother bought me a set of tea for Christmas despite my only ever drinking coffee and declaring I don't drink tea, the same ex bought me a pair of baggy jeans for Christmas ( I was a size 6 and they were not in fashion) and all I could think about was getting a refund and using the money.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Theo@Theo, Well to be safe, sell them on Ebay, I doubt they would stumble upon their gifts being sold there. Sometimes the giver just wants to give something just for the sake of giving, no wonder they end up giving useless gifts. Like what they say, one man's thrash is another person's treasure, so for sure the one who will buy or receive those unwanted gifts will treasure it a lot more than the original owner did.