Do It Yourself: Share Your Diy Projects

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Zyni • Feb 25, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are you working on any Diy projects at the moment? It doesn't have to be anything big or fancy, or it can be huge and super fancy. Either way, did you start learning to DIY in order to save money? That was my main reasoning, but I also enjoy it. I enjoy learning new things, fixing stuff, making stuff... it's all an adventure to me.

What's your latest do-it-yourself project, and how much money do you think you saved by going DIY?

2. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I'm currently in the process of covering some old boxes with fabric and wallpaper to use as storage boxes, instead of buying storage boxes from the shop. The fabric is just some leftover fabric I had lying around anyway from previous projects and the wallpaper cost me £0.10 because it was the last roll they had of it. I expect I'll get at least 10 boxes out of the wallpaper and probably 4 from the fabric, so that'll be 14 storage boxes for less than £0.01 a piece, considering the boxes were also just sat around after things like grocery orders. I expect it's about a £5 saving per box.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is cool. You got quite the bargain there by doing some DIY. Heck, you got quite a bargain on that wallpaper too!

What a great savings. I think it's a perfect way to upcycle and save money at the same time.

I need to make some of these as well. I was thinking I'd put a couple of these together, but wow, fourteen is nothing to sneeze at. You can organize everything with that many.

Come over and make me some covered storage boxes and organize my stuff next, will you? :)

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I am replacing a waste water pipe in my bathroom. Getting the floorboards up itself has been quite a challenge, as nails were impossible to remove, joists were wearing away. Turns out I'm going to have to replace them too.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That sounds like a very ambitious project, but I'm guessing you'll save a lot of money by going the DIY route.

It seems that a lot of older homes (and some that are not older) have these issues. I watch home improvement shows and see it all the time with fixer uppers. It's scary how some of these places really have no support in place for the bathtub, which is very heavy when full, and could crash through the floor.

6. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, upcycling is something I love to do as well! I just hate to throw anything away! Especially if I have something in mind already to do with whatever thing I was going to throw away.

I know 14 is quite a few storage boxes but as I recently got a new wardrobe I was thinking I could put several in that, and then several more around the room so that everything matches! Well, thats the plan anyway!

What are you thinking about using to cover yours? Fabric or paper or something else entirely? :)

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know, right? Everything I see gives me ideas, ha ha. I bet my husband wishes I didn't have so many ideas.

It is a lot, but I don't think that's a bad thing. I could probably fill them with craft supplies and things I want to upcycle.

I will probably do some with denim from old jeans. The kids add their old jeans to my fabric pile, so I will probably make at least one or two denim ones for my grandbaby's toys that they keep here. I do have some wallpaper that I could for a couple of extra bathroom storage containers. The ones for my crafting will probably be mix and match.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm totally rubbish at DIY and always feel like the instructions look like Greek to me hehe My husband is very good at it and thoroughly enjoys it. I honestly don't know what I'd do if I were single! I'd probably have to pay someone to assemble all of my stuff for me, seeing as most things now require a fair amount of DIY skills. It seems to me that anything that you buy readily assembled comes at a very hefty price these days!