My First Selling Experience

Discussion in Online Shopping started by gracer • Jul 25, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I haven't really sold anything yet but yeah I have just posted pictures of some pre-loved items on one of Facebook's local buy and sell groups in my area. I was just rummaging through my old clothes to clear up my closet and I suddenly thought of trying to make money out of my idle items. So I took pictures of them and posted them on Facebook.

I have mixed feelings of doubt and excitement on how my first ever try of online selling would go though. I hope there would be some takers so I could at least make something out of my old stuff. They're still quite good, they just don't fit me anymore so I thought of finally letting them go now. Lol

How about you guys, how was your first experience of selling online if you ever did? Have you ever encountered bad customers? I'm quiet nervous about how to handle such if there would be any.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of my younger days when I was a struggling trainee in the office for my first job. I used to sell clothing items to augment my meager salary. It was fun because I get the clothes on consignment basis which means I didn't need capital. When I return to the boutique, I would just pay for the items that I have sold. That personal selling was the prelude to my boutique business which, unfortunately, did not prosper so we closed shop within the first year of operation.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have sold some items in the past and am doing some selling now. Many people express interest in an item, but you are lucky if you can actually get people to follow through. The best way to sell is to look online and see what various items are worth. You can then sell your items for around the same price. I have sold one thing on a community yard sale site, a few on Craigslist, and have some listed online on a selling app.

4. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't sold anything on any of the Facebook groups before but I have sold on eBay. I used to have really good luck with clothing but lately I haven't had such luck. I am not sure if it is the sizes that are wrong or what. I do have luck selling other items especially DVDs. I have thought about using one of the selling apps that are out there but I am not sure about it yet. I hope you are lucky with selling your items.

5. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks @morgoodie@morgoodie! :) I do hope I get to sell my items so I could have some money on the side. I thought of selling my pre-loved items first and if I would have some luck with it, I would also like to do some sort of online buy and sell. I'm also in doubt with selling clothes though because I know it's really hard to determine whether a clothing would fit you or not when it comes to buying online. I wouldn't want my potential customers to feel that way so I'm thinking more on selling perfumes soon once I get to develop my presence on the online market.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Selling on anything on Facebook groups is a lot easier when you are sure that most of the people posting or visiting those groups aren't people who like you are also looking to sell something to someone. I've heard some bad experiences with such groups. Best thing to do is find as many relevant groups as you can and post what you want to sell there. It increases the probability of what you are selling being seen by buyers.

You could also try free classified ad sites.

7. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    @Denis Hard@Denis Hard That's also my concern at the moment because I've been seeing a lot of bashing of both sellers and buyers lately and it somehow makes me think whether I should continue with my selling on Facebook. I'm just really anxious when it comes to bashing on social media.

8. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I have never sold anything online (apart from ebooks which I wrote and self published). However, I am thinking to start my selling business. I am thinking to launch my online store ads well as begin selling things on ebay. Some of the things that I am considering to sell online are herbs and lingerie.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You shouldn't give up before you even try. The waiting [for someone to express some interest in stuff that I am selling] is what might make me anxious but negative comments . . . I don't mind them that much. You can ignore them as long as you get what you want — a sale.

Something else you could try is creating a fake social media account which you'll use for selling something, anything. You get some anonymity and even if you get some bad rap it won't affect you that much.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There will always be some bad eggs and you can't predict when they appear. I first sold on ebay and the first few sales were fine and straightforward and then I had a nightmare customer who was rude and horrid.

I offered free postage on the second and third item if they bought at the same time, and this buyer was clearly trying it on and bought another afterwards and demanded free postage. I relented only because they threatened to give me a bad rating and I sent them bad karmic vibes instead. It put me off selling and instead of a bids I listed a price and nearest offers only, so I could then turn down buyers I didn't like the look of.

11. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Good idea @Denis Hard@Denis Hard! :) I was thinking of doing that because I don't want my personal Facebook account to be linked to anything about business. I just feel like it would be too vulnerable for me and my family if I use my personal account as a means of doing business where I would meet different kinds of people with different personalities.

@Theo@Theo I'm really sorry to hear about your bad experience with a customer. Those are the types of people I would never want to encounter but as you said, there will always be some bad eggs around. I guess, just as long as we know we're on the right track, then there's really nothing to worry about. :)

12. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I have never sold anything online but I do have quite a few items that I can promote and sell in this way. I do have a family member who has done this on many occasions though, and has been quite successful at it. She would post the picture of the item(s) she had for sale, and before long, she would have a buyer.

A few years ago I used to take some items of clothing and other stuff that I no longer used, to flea markets to sell them. I would be successful to a point, although very often I would end up bringing back home half of the items, but it was still worth the effort as I earned some extra pocket money from doing this.

13. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I have to state that my first selling experience online has consisted of fits and starts. I have attempted to sell services on Olx and got some positive responses. I had advertised for the construction of miniature fish ponds. I have also attempted to sell a college to rural residents on a retainer basis with modest success.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used Olx and Ebay, and I preferred Olx, since the response was quicker. I sold my defective phone there. I tried selling the clothes that I bought also on Ebay that didn't fit me, but people don't seem to like it, I guess it's not their size. If you sell gadgets though, many people seem to be interested, even if it's defective.

15. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    @sidney@sidney I also consider OLX as a better choice for me. I think when it comes to local preference, OLX is much more patronized here in the Philippines. i guess the commercials has also contributed a lot when it comes to people preferring to look for products they're interested in the site first before any other selling site. :)

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @gracer@gracer, That's true, since a lot of Pinoys don't even have Paypal, so Olx is the better choice. But be careful! I got scammed once there, since I sent only P500 as partial payment for the phone, and a few weeks later the seller changed her number again. She has negative feedback that I didn't see since it was posted after I sent the money. She sold a phone with a faulty battery. So better transact via meetup if you are buying!

17. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    That's too bad. I'm sorry to hear that you got scammed. To tell you the truth, I don't really know how I would react if I ever got scammed. I'm pretty sure my husband would again tell me his favorite line "you fell for it again", which he always tells me whenever I give in to sales talks and a lot of convincing from sales persons. Lol!

Anyway, I did hear about some people getting scammed by some OLX sellers so I guess one really has to apply a lot of investigative skills first before transacting with any online seller. As you said, I also think that meet ups are better because if a seller does agree to receive payment and release his/her item through meet-up, then he/she most probably is a legit seller. :)

18. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I have never sold anything online. We usually give it away to the junk yard. Clothes, I give it away for charity. I had my baby's pram and bouncer which I wanted to sell online. But, never did get anytime to click the picture and upload. Will try it though.

19. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't really mind selling online if I knew how to go about shipping an item. I have never tried nor do I know someone jn person who has to give me a guide on how to go about it. I hope it works out just fine for you.

20. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have not sold a single thing online. If I knew how to and trusted the concept I would definately sell some clothes. I guess I will have to stick to having a yard sale for now until I get further information.