Selling Your Used Items

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by NikkiDesrosiers • Oct 16, 2014.

1. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I have found that gently used baby, toddler and children's belongings have a high value rate even when used. Many people have turned to social media to help sell their items. I have seen this on Facebook, craigslist and even mass sales sites like e-bay. How do you feel about this. Do you do it? It seems like people are making more money selling them online than say at a yard sale -- do you think it's worth the time?

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I think in regards to toys and kid clothes, I'd be more apt to give them away than sell them. I know that sound crazy as you need every bit of money you can get when you have young kids, but that's the reason why I'd give them away. It is so hard that people will only get the basics and it's nice to be able to have some luxuries for your kids, so I'd like to help someone do that for their kids.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    While selling used clothing online might be a good way to make cash, since there are a lot of other people who are also selling similar clothes it can be a while before you get someone who is willing to buy.

It's even harder for those listing their items for the first time because buyers wouldn't know whether they can trust you or not [seller ratings are valued!]. So, if you are willing to wait for a little bit of time before making some money from the clothes you want to sell, it wouldn't be so bad.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Selling used items online is one of the best things about modern digital age, not only for the sellers but also for the buyers. I myself have always liked rummaging through yard sales and finding some nice bargains or some unique items but garage sales and flea markets aren't always available and not all of them have the lowest prices anyway. Seeing these types of items listed online just makes it much easier to compare and it reaches way more people than you originally would have had you stuck with the traditional yard sale.

5. ellajanelle

ellajanelleMember

Threads:
    I did this and it was easy money! Especially if your clothes are branded and totally in with the trend. Based on my experience, most of my buyers bought my Forever 21 clothes. The trend and quality is what really attracts them, I guess.

6. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    When I sold all of our baby/ toddler toys I was able to sell many of the items on Kijiji. Car seats, high chairs, and our play pen all sold very quickly. The rest of the items I took to a consignment shop which gives you back 50% of whatever they sell the item for. The worst thing I found was that you price the item to sell and then you get emails from people asking if you'd sell it for even less. I have started to put Firm in the ad so that people don't think they can get it for a steal. I am trying to make some money here. I also found when you sell online, you open yourself up to people who are really only testing the waters and have no real interest in buying. They'll send you an email, you reply and then they never reply again. That's why for some things I'll just take it to a consignment store and let them sell it.

7. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that there's a huge enough difference between selling your items online, and selling them through a yard sale. For me, anything's fine as long as you are able to dispose of items, and earn money at the same time. It's definitely worth your time because you are selling items you obviously don't need anymore, and would just become an additional bulk in your house.

8. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I think it is worth the effort. Certain items can get you a decent price online for them if they are a high end brand and in good shape. I love reselling my items on eBay which I am currently doing to get some extra money. People are looking for a good bargain and I do believe you get more money from something online versus a yard sale. At least in my area. You can have something priced at $.50 and they still want it cheaper. Everyone wants something for nothing. I can understand that but lets be realistic. You cannot buy new clothes that cheap and even thrift stores can be a little high on some of their clothes. It also helps the environment to buy second hand since you are reusing resources instead of using new resources.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course it's worth the time, because you can turn the things that are not being used anymore to money, so it's really an advisable thing to do.Lots of people are looking for a bargain, so if you are selling them for a cheap price then you will sell them quickly.

10. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    We do it all the time on Craigslist for the stuffs that I think are valuable and I let the people who want them to pick it up. It does not cost us money it is very convenient. With the locality of craigslist, it is quite easy to find buyers that want to go to our place to buy our used items because from their perspective, they don't have to drive very far for a good price. So it is a win win solution for us.

11. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitalityMember

Threads:
    Yes, I am all for selling used items as it reduces the clatter in the home and it is a tool for generating an income.

12. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the items in question. Something like cloth diapers, im not sure I would ever buy used. I know a ton of people who do, and im not judging! I just cant reuse something like that for my child. Other things such as appliances, clothes, furnature, sure. why not? I sold a perfectly good working vaccuum last week for $20. It put $20 in my pocket that I wouldnt have if i would of thrown it away. It also saved them probably $60 from having to buy a new one.

13. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I once cleaned out my closet and made $740 on eBay. 40 items, around 1 month. And I am getting ready to do it again. eBay is a wonderful site for making extra money. It does take some time and organization. But if you can do that, then it is well worth the trouble. You could just list one item a day or something like that. That way it would not be a big time killer. I've bought some great stuff on craigslist.com too, so I know it would be a great place to sell also.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I see you sell on ebay, I would like to do that too, but I woner about shipping the items you're selling. Can you tell me how you ship it when packing do you pack with bubble wrap? I don't have a car nor my own computer yet, so I can't take advantage of stamps.com. Do you add your shipping to the price of the item you're selling online at ebay?