Used Items You Wouldn't Buy

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by kamai • Nov 2, 2016.

1. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really buy used items for the exception of video games and movies for now. What I won't definately purchase used are of course under garments, socks, and shoes. I have seen people buy used shoes but I wouldn't feel safe using them since I don't know who had used them and if they had any foot problems. I will also avoid buying anything used for my daughter just to be safe.

2. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Same here, I won't buy used underwear and shoes. They're too "personal" already, and they come in contact with the most gross part of our body. So far, I haven't seen 2nd hand socks being sold yet, but I've seen 2nd hand underwear being sold on Ebay. I also won't buy used cosmetics like lipstick. There are lipstick brands that cost as low as$2 brand new, so no need to be stingy on 2nd hand lipstick.

3. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I hope nobody is out there buying used underwear. That would seem pretty sad, but I guess there might be someone who just has that need. Sometimes I do like the worn down clothes though, but not really as much these days. I hope toothbrushes are on the list.

4. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a fan of the used items, because I buy gadgets and cosmetic, sometimes even tools and toys, but no used items.
    The reason is because they can contain some failure ( battery, broken parts, wear off) and mistake and I still didn't find any used cosmetic products being sold on teh eBay.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We never purchase clothing or anything that is worn including footwear. It is unhygienic to wear something that has been used by another person. Even if the item is a steal, we still do not buy and we just opt for the brand new version no matter if it is expensive. That is why we seldom go to garage sales in the neighborhood because we never have the intention of buying used clothing items.

6. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    We never have bought any second-hand product so far... whatever it is. Off late, we're planning to buy an A/C, and given the high price of the power saving models we've been considering buying something from the buying-selling sites. If happens, that would be our first buy of this kind. Given our apprehensive attitude towards used products, I doubt we would be able to select anything pre-owned.

7. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I have noted that there is a visiting market for innerware which is intended for use for the second time. This is one thing I would not consider purchasing save for the fact that second hand items are durable. Towels are also a big no-no. Most of these products are bought by ladies. I am also averse to buying second hand cutlery especially plates and spoons.

8. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    You are right, I forgot to add make up products. I wouldn't buy any kind of lipsticks or eye products such as eyeliner. We never know who has used them and get some sort of infection.

9. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    While I do buy used electrical items, I also don't buy any types of used clothing simply because the saving you end up making usually don't justify the condition it is in. While on some sites you do get the odd item that hasn't been worn and the seller is simply getting rid because it doesn't fit, there are a lot of clothes and shoes that have been worn and when you do get them you aren't going to get the most out of them.

Is it worth saving $20 on a pair of shoes if when they come you're only going to be able to wear them yourself for a couple of months before they have to be thrown out? I'd rather just pay the full price for the new items and get a good lifespan out of them in all honesty.

10. Sandy Mayfield

Sandy MayfieldMember

Threads:
    I would buy undergarments, shoes, socks, bathing suits, etc used. I rarely buy used bottoms/tops because they have to be in fantastic shape and exactly what I was looking for.

11. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I don't see any problem with buying used clothes. Actually, where I live, consignment shops are a big business. People save a lot of money simply opting to buy second hand stuff. Can anyone provide actual links to support a claim that 2nd hand clothes, apart from very personal stuff, would cause diseases? I think this whole notion is very silly. For instance, doesn't anyone think washing clothes makes a difference?

12. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I've been buying used stuffs for years now and I find it a good way to save money. I normally buy used gadgets and clothes. If there are used things that I wouldn't buy, it will definitely be used make ups, undergarments, brush and other personal things that we use for our hygiene. I also won't buy 2nd hand beds.

13. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I do not really like buying used items, but situations could push one to having to consider some preown or used items due to insufficient money for brand new ones. That said, I wouldn't buy used clothes, never. I'd rather go for cheap new clothes even if it comes with low quality materials.

14. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I'm almost in the same boat as you. I would never purchase used under clothes, socks, shoes or probably even used hats because that can also carry head lice. I actually don't feel comfortable purchasing any used clothing articles but if I had to, only shirts and maybe pants because pants can be pretty dirty as well. Even so, I try never to buy used and always go for new as most I can.

15. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I don't usually buy used clothes. But recently I did but a warm coat, which I think is second hand. Because it was so cheap. It has to be used. I bought it from the stall outside the mall. They did not say that it was second hand, but that is my presumption. Otherwise I don't buy used clothes or any other items.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy any used items barring books from footpath market available at almost 30% price. I have bad experience of electronics items which people sell only when they face frequent breakdown. I have stopped buying anything old after one such bad experience. I have seen "Sale' of used items but they never attracted me.

17. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I am not keen to buy used items but as mentioned above I buy books from small shops in footpaths here. Most of them are at 50% discount and I could find interesting novels and management books there. I don't like to buy used clothes or electronic items.

A strict NO to electronic gadgets as we never know in what condition it is. Moreover, there is also a concern of security issue. If the second hand mobile I purchase is someway related to a criminal activity, chances are that cops will be after after my life chasing IMEI number. So it is better to avoid it.