Imitation Bags

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Alexandoy • Nov 17, 2016.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some branded bags are so expensive that they cost the equivalent of a car's price. One rich matron said that she has bought just 1 branded bag and the rest of her bags are all imitation. But who would know, she asked, because she is rich and no one would suspect that she is using an imitation bag. Hmm, that got us thinking. And what a coincidence, my nephew in Hongkong gifted me with an imitation Prada shoulder bag. And I'm not a poor boy so people wouldn't suspect. I have been using that imitation Prada for a year already and everyone thinks that it is original.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think another name for this is 'fake' and they aren't always great quality. I have had some fakes and they have been okay, and some that have fallen apart. They may look similar, but these days it is more frowned upon in the fashion world.

If it's all about a brand and you use it to show off, I'm not sure what that says about the person. That was very 1980s when brands were more in vogue, whereas now people still like their brands but in a less show off manner.

3. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be a purse seller and we would sell the original brand which many people knew about. As the years went by the quality of the purses went bad aswell and people could tell and stopped buying our brand, they weren't bad quality because of unoriginality but because the material was changed. I also noticed this from other brands, once they see more people are purchasing they change materials to have less expenses and some customers won't mind as long as they own the original name brand.

4. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Even I have some imitation bags. I would buy them because it is quite affordable and with a reasonable quality too. Even if my friends finds out if it is a duplicate one I don't mind telling them the truth as the originals is too costly to afford except for some people. So, it is OK to have an imitation bag but should be worth your money.

5. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I know it's okay to go with brands but that gets me turned off if they become what I call 'unnecessarily' too expensive. If the so called imitation bags can be durable and not disappoint by turning fade or losing out in edges then I am good to go with them. I hate it when I have to spend all that money, that can buy a car, on one bag. There are less privileged children in different corners of the world who needs to be helped.

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Expense doesn't always determine the quality of the item. One of my relatives purchased a 200 dollar bag and that garbage was beginning to tear in only 2 months while the other purses she had purchased years ago were perfectly intact. We're paying for the logo and brand and not the quality. Save yourself some money and spend the money on many cheaper bags to test them. That will be even cheaper.

7. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I've known a lot of people who have over expensive branded bags and I don't see the reason in buying one. I personally own more than 15 bags and all are not branded. And I'm glad to say that after months and years of using, they are still fine.

I know quality is important but there are a lot of high quality bags that aren't that pricey compared to Louis Vuitton, Prada, Lacoste and Channel. Even if I have lots of money, I think I won't buy such things. I'd rather spend it on something more important than a bag or other over expensive stuffs.

8. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Last year, I bought a pair of Catwalk shoe in its original price. I liked the design and the deal that was going on the product. I just did not want to miss the opportunity. After couple of months when I went to the local market, saw the same pair of shoe in half of the price. Unless someone is pretty acquainted with that brand, it was difficult to distinguish. I bought that pair as well. Now after a year both the pairs are working fine. Moral of the story is, the exaggerated price on the branded products are paid only to satisfy the brand value.

9. SammyGregory

SammyGregoryMember

Threads:
    I don't deal with imitation because it ruins the name of the brand and the hard work they have done. The imitation brand could just create their own brand and sell at the cheaper cost and create a name for themselves as well. Not to mention if you are a purse person you usually can tell and sometimes depending on the quality it is obvious.

10. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    In the past I have been known to buy a few fake items, but that was hen I was only interested in impressing people. These days I'd rather go for quality, and if that means that I have to walk around with a cheaper brand then so be it. People who spend thousands on a bag or a certain brand of clothing only do that for show, and while it's nice to have expensive things, I'd rather go for value for money.

11. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Exactly my thought too, expense does not mean quality of a product. I have seen people spend huge sums on items, I wouldn't like mention the names or brands right now, and within a few weeks or months come back complaining. Personally I have gotten cheap shoes that were so strong and durable that folks didn't believe initially that at the price the item will be any good one.

12. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of a funny event that happened once in junior high.

My mom once bought me some 15 dollar shoes because we didn't have much money while everyone was wearing brand shoes such as Nike or Puma. Some kid was showing off his new expensive shoes and when he saw mine, he started to make fun of them. 2 months passed and I saw him wearing shoes similar to mine. I then asked him where his other shoes were. It turned out, the entire bottom of his shoe ripped out. I laughed at him for getting ripped off while my shoes were still in very good conditions.

13. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of the time all you are paying for is the name and the brand, and you'll often find that the cheaper items are just as good if not sometimes even better. Obviously if you can afford to buy the more expensive brands then you are going to do so, just don't expect them to last any longer than the cheaper items because more often than not they are made in the same factories by the same people, so aren't going to be any better.

14. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    If I can't afford the real one, I prefer to buy less known brands or local bags than imitation bags. I would feel like I'm a 'fake' too when I'm showing off a fake designer bag. There is a shopping district in my country which sells all kinds of knock offs and I once bought a bag which I didn't realize was an imitation as I'm not too familiar with most brands of bags. Within a month of use, the bag has disintegrated. It wasn't worth my money at all.

15. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    It doesn't matter to me whether I own a branded bag or an imitation one. It should look good and should last. That is all that matters. Otherwise I am okay even to use a locally made bag.

16. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well as long as you are not trying to impress anyone or using it in a false manner, I really have no issues. I still have my fake D&G glasses that I wear every now and then, so I can't hate.

17. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not big on designer bags at all, the only bag that I would not buy fake is JanSport, since I can afford to buy the genuine one anyway. As for LV and their kind, I have no interest in owning a real or fake one of those brands.

18. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I think it is not wrong to use an imitation bag as long as it is durable. It is only the brand that is valued much. I know that there are some duplicated branded bags and they are good. The only difference of course is the price. The seller might take advantage of it by pricing it same with the original one. And that is another story for it is misrepresentation and profiteering.