Frozen Dinners/foods That You Purposely Avoid?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Natasha0717 • Dec 6, 2016.

1. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    I don't buy too many frozen meals. The stories about processed foods and how they could possibly be as bad for your health as fast food has really been troubling to me lately. There are still a few I like, though. Like Hot Pockets (Lean Pockets)....they seem pretty basic and I'm thinking (and hoping) that they don't have too many additives.

The frozen dinners that DO have too many additives and preservatives will give me a major headache. Some people say it could be hidden MSG. But I can name a few right now that I purposely avoid because they always give me a terrible headache: Kroger brand frozen pizza, Meijer vegetables in a can (almost all varieties), and Michelina's frozen dinners. They are cheap and pretty-good tasting, but still not worth the headache.

What about you? Are there any frozen or processed foods that you just don't trust or buy for certain reasons?

#1Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest it has been years since I have purchased frozen food. First of all I don't feel like they taste as good as the normal kind, I mean they are pretty good but not compareable. I stopped from buying such food since I got pregnant so I won't eat preserved food for the sake of my babies health. Now I prevent them since I wouldn't want to feed them to my child.

3. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    If I do anything frozen it is usually something that I can make right away. I figure if it is something for a big meal or anything like that, I would much rather take some time and cook it myself. But, there are always times when I need a quick little something and there are some pretty good little frozen treats out there. Soft pretzels are my go to.

4. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I do not buy frozen foods either. The only stuff that I buy frozen is green pea when they are not in season. Frozen food, especially the non-veg type, is full of preservatives which are harmful for health. Most of the food stuffs thus we buy fresh from the market, be it fruits, veggies, fish or poultry.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was in the US so many years ago, tv dinners were kinda new to me so I loved that especially when I am alone in the house and there's only me to eat so I just grab a frozen tv dinner and heat it in the microwave. But after a month of having frozen tv dinner, I came to the realization that it is not fresh food and the taste is not really delicious. Sometime this year, I bought a tv dinner just to taste and I was right all along that it is not delicious. I still go for fresh food no matter if expensive.

6. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I buy frozen peas from a branded company as I get one on one offer and they last me long. The fresher version actually give out green colour water when washed so obviously they are treated somehow and don't look like a healthier option.

Apart from some instant nuggets I rarely buy any frozen food.

7. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    You can always read the labels to see what additives the product has in it. Frozen meals are always handy if you are in a rush or can't be bothered to cook. I know a person who cannot cook, and really hates to cook too. He buys a lot of frozen food which helps him to get to eat hot food that all he has to do is heat it up in the microwave.

8. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    I never buy frozen food. Firstly, we do not know how old the food is and it does not taste the same as freshly cooked hot food. Frozen foods are being used more by working couples nowadays. They are mixed with preservatives in order to make them last longer and so there is always a risk of health hazards.

Some useful points to keep in mind when buying frozen food:
    1. Not all frozen food is bad. You can buy frozen fruits and vegetables like green peas, leafy vegetables, and milk products.
    2. Make sure to check the ingredients before buying frozen food.
    3. Check the date of packaging and the date of expiry. Usually, frozen food doesn't last longer.
    4. Make sure to check its properly packed without leaving any space for air to go in.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer not to buy them as not only they cost lot more costlier besides the they do not taste according to our choice. At most I go for certain vegetables like pies which is one of my favorite item and not available in all seasons. But ready made food items are not on my list of frozen foods.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with Kaushik, because depending on the ingredients, date of expiration most frozen food is okay to me. I too watch what the sugar is whether fresh or frozen. I just found out that sweet potato pie at Walmart is no sugar added, that's so wonderful! I like frozen for it's getting more healthier to eat and so simple to get ready for a hot meal. Frozen food is a good way to conserve food. Frozen food makes life so much simpler.

11. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I just full out avoid eating them. For one, I don't truly enjoy them as it just feels like warming up leftovers which is not really my thing. As you mentioned, way too much additives so not entirely healthy and I just feel like I am robbing the original flavor of the food after heating.

12. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    Keep an eye out, in light of the fact that nourishments that are viewed as "solid" and named as "characteristic" contain numerous hurtful chemicals utilized as sustenance additives and flavor enhancers – and these chemicals are regularly camouflaged under unrecognizable names.

13. kokimboka

kokimbokaMember

Threads:
    Just to be on the safe side I prefer buying vegetables from the market and making my own fresh food.If food is to stay for a whole week or even more than a week,some preservatives have to be added for that food to last that long.It may be expensive and tedious to make your own fresh food, but it is worth it.

14. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was working and going to school full time, I did eat a lot of frozen dinners. There was just no time for frequent shopping required when preparing and eating fresh food, and it got me through that period of my life. Nowadays, I occasionally supplement with purchased frozen foods or dinners, but primarily do my own cooking. I often make large batches of food so that I can freeze the extra, and that's just as quick as heating up a store bought frozen dinner, but without the additives.

15. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    Me and my wife are not big fans of frozen stuff, unless it's ice cream. We just shop for meat that would last around 3 or 4 days. We do not want meat and fish to stay in the freezer for a week or more. I want our food to be fresh so it's much better for us to shop twice a week.

16. Andy Haertel

Andy HaertelNew Member

Threads:
    in frozen food are many vitamins you have to cook it very slowely so that they dont break

17. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I had some frozen Chinese food that was actually pretty darn good, but I realize that this is usually not the case. Most times the meat is chewy, but this one was actually pretty good.

18. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    They do make some frozen dinners that are not to bad,and some of them are vegetarian(organic also) but I have never tried any of the Amy's food brand. The vegetable loaf looks like it comes with mash potatoes and vegetables though,and they make a hot pockets kind of one, that has no chemicals,which sounds good and healthy,and it looks like a spinich pizza kind of hot pocket also.

19. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    If you shop around, you can probably find some deals on the healthier versions of frozen meals. Just be careful to read the labels, because even if it says health in the name or the description that's not always the case. Many frozen meals have a lot of added sugar and salt to improve the flavor of other cheap ingredients.

The portions are usually small for the price as well. Unless you have coupons, or your favorite store has frequent sales, or you can price match, many of these items cost more than they are worth.

As for other frozen foods, I like "fresh frozen" fruits and vegetables that have nothing added to them. No sugar, no salt, no MSG, or anything else. If I buy a pack of green beans, I want the ingredients list to say green beans and that's all.

20. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try not too eat many of them that are loaded with salt. I will read the ingredients and pick the dinners that are lower in salt even if they might cost a bit more. It is better and healthier in the long run. Even among a small set of alternatives I will pick the dinners that are lower in salt.