Do You Buy The Size That Fits Or A Size Bigger?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by DMlad • Dec 11, 2016.

1. DMlad

DMladNew Member

Threads:
    I know a lot of people that buy a size bigger so they can wear it for a longer time in case they get fat or put on some muscle or similar, however I always buy the size that fits me perfectly, because it feels weird wearing something that doesn't fit just for insurance. I am eager too see your thoughts on this.

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I usually buy pants my size because those I don't mind if they are a bit tight. Shirts on the other hand I do enjoy wearing them a bit loose so instead of extra small I get small for it to fit like I like. Especially if they are sweaters I like for them to fit oversized so I do get a medium.

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    No, I wouldn't buy over size with the intention if I get fatter or increase in muscle so they can still fit. I buy my exact fit of clothes. I do experience some difficulty getting my actual size in shoes, I use 45 or 44 but more comfortable with 45 and would like go for that size. I have had to decide on getting shoes of 44 that still fit where I couldn't get 45. This happens when I so much like the shoe but couldn't get 45.

4. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I just do the opposite; that is buying a size little bit smaller! Then I try to cut down my weight to fit into it. You don’t believe, but it actually works for me..lol. It’s like an inspiration for me. But most of the times I buy only the appropriate size which becomes a little big when I cut down my weight. But I never buy over-sized shirts or pants in any case.

When it comes to kids I buy a size above normal as they can wear it for long. Kids grow very fast so that they can use it in near future too.

5. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Yes there are some people who buy clothes or shoes a bit bigger than their size and I think it's just fine depending on the person's reason as to why, perhaps they feel comfortable wearing something that are a bit bigger than their actual sizes. In my case, I usually but clothes that perfectly fits me, not too tight and not to loose as well. In terms of foot wear, particularly shoes, I like buying something bigger than my size since I feel comfy wearing shoes that aren't perfectly fit and so I could wear it even if I have socks on :)

6. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    While I can see the reasoning behind buying items that are a size bigger, personally i always buy the size that fits me as I've been the same size and shape for a number of years now so have a good idea of what will look good and what won't. For work I wear a lot of suits, and every couple of years I'll get my measurements checked anyway so that helps, as I'm always aware of what size I'm going to need and it takes a lot of the guess work out of it.

7. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    I buy the size that fits me best, but when I buy it from a cheaper store, I know darn well that it will most likely shrink a bit in the wash....so that's when I buy it just a little bigger in case that were to happen. Especially a shirt or blouse that I really love. I would hate for it to get too tight and then just sit in my closet because I've ruined it by shrinking it in the wash. But when this does happen, here's a trick: Wear the shirt to bed or take a nap in it. That'll stretch it out real good. ;):D

8. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I use to wear loose clothes. I feel comfortable wearing them. Every time I go for shopping for a new apparel I choose those bigger than my standard size. There was an occasion that I received a gift from a best friend. He sent me an imported shirt. The color is my favorite but the size doesn't fit me. He forgot that I had become fat. I didn't return it instead I gave it to my youngest son. It's good it fits him.

9. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    You really made me smile when I checked the title for this thread because I always check the superior size to see which one is better for me. I think most people do that right? I mean, who is going to buy something they don't feel comfortable with without checking other sizes?

10. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I don't feel comfortable with my weight. Most people can't tell I'm a bit overweight but if I wear fitting clothes, they usually can. Because of that, I tend to purchase and wear baggier clothes whether I get fatter or not. Maybe if I were skinnier I'd use fitting clothes but even so, I've grown accustomed to baggy clothes so they're more comfortable now.

11. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I am a little overweight too @TheKnight@TheKnight and I prefer large clothes too. Not exactly to hide my somewhat big belly haha, but mostly because I don't like to feel myself tight by the clothes, I like to have free movements. At the same time, whenever I go shopping I try to get the right size because if I don't feel comfortable with the clothes, I will not wear them later.

12. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Right. I don't understand how some skinnier guys can wear tight jeans. No matter how fat or skinny I would be, I don't think I would ever be able to breathe or move properly with tight jeans. I feel as if they can't even kneel down without it being a major pain. I usually wear sweat pants and a loose t-shirt. Some people want me to change my style but hey, I feel comfortable with it. Sweat pants are usually cheaper as well while jeans are 30.00 to 50.00 dollars around here.

13. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the material and the garment. Cotton items I generally buy bigger because they will shrink, and lycra items I buy the correct size. Many people buy items a size bigger and then get them tailored to their size. It's a trick many celebrities use to save money, so an item looks tailor made, but is bought cheaply.

14. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I do wear jeans, but never those skinny ones, that would be terrible for me. It's the standard for women though and many guys still use them. My kid also hates tight jeans, whenever he sees that specific pair he has he almost cries saying he doesn't want to wear them, lol. So yeah, I am really careful about sizes.

15. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I can't even wear regular jeans either, man. When I put them on, they're fine while I stand up but as soon as I sit down, it tightens around my waist. Now imagine how it would feel after having a large meal. I've heard there are elastic waist band jeans but I've never seen them around here. I've only seen them online and they're pretty pricey. Sweat pants have never done me wrong, haha.

16. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Nah, no way I would ever get into those elastic jeans, no way! I need to feel free and my skin needs to breath. I don't wear sweat pants either because jeans work pretty much as my office lol. I have pockets for money, for mobile, for keys, for cards, so sweat pants don't hold all of that. :) I really don't know how women are able to wear such tight clothes, I guess it's the price of beauty? :)

17. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I have reached a saturating point and I am not growing bigger any more. I always try to control my weight and begin vigorous dieting and exercise when put on one or two kilos. Thus, I always buy clothes and shoes that fits properly. When I was younger, I used to buy one size bigger.

18. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually buy the exact size for my clothes because I am not comfortable with too loose sizes. But in our foreign trips last year, I had bought some shirts that seemed to have shrunk after washing. Those shirts are now skin tight which is uncomfortable. That lesson taught me to play safe when buying clothes abroad... one size bigger for insurance.

19. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like loose fitting clothes best and I do buy bigger shirts and t-shirts just because I don't like tight clothes. Pants are different but I tend to buy comfy with elastic waist band. Shoes I like it nice and loose too, better for the feet if the shoes isn't tight to prevent ingrown toenails. I buy wide so my feet feel comfy or stretch it out to form fit my feet. We have here in Hawaii muumuus now this is my kind of clothes!
    [​IMG] They do have form fitting muumuus too, but I like these for short dress or long gown like muumuus.:D
    (image from

)

20. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    That's a good point actually, and while I said that I know my size so usually always buy the correct one, when buying cheaper items of clothing then they do tend to shrink in the wash so I can see why going for a size bigger is a good idea. I know people in the past who I've seen wearing a T-shirt for example only to find out later that they washed it once and now it fits their 8 year old child!