Buy A New Laptop Or Just Change The Screen?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by luckycharm • Jan 2, 2017.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop which I purchased around three years back. The laptop is working pretty well but the Issue I have is small lines across monitor which keeps on increasing day by day. I am not keen to replace it with a new laptop. I am trying to find out how it will cost me if I go for a new screen.

Even though I am planning to buy a new 2-in-1 laptop shortly I want this one too. Is there an online market where I can find reasonable prices for laptop monitors?

2. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I am not a laptop technician but as I have noticed in your dilemma about your laptop is the monitor screen is having or emitting a streak on the monitor. Why not have it first to be checked by a technician before buying a new monitor? I know for it could be remedied. What about that?

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me for this intrusion. My 7-year old desktop also has those thin horizontal lines on the monitor. About a year ago, one line appeared and after a month, another line appeared. It is disturbing me but I have a great hesitation to buy a new monitor because I have concrete plans of buying a new computer. Do you have an idea why those thin lines appear?

4. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I wonder what are those lines that you guys are talking about? Is it the screen surface abrasions? Then you might need a screen change. Otherwise the best thing to do is have a technician diagnose it and suggest a solution. I have a 8 year laptop but haven't faced such a situation. Kindly post how you tackled it as it might help us.

5. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    It is not just some external scratches on the screen. It may be caused by some pressure on it. I use to travel a lot with my laptop. I put them in a backpack which was already stuffed with many things. It might have exerted some pressure on the lid which finally resulted in those lines.

Sometimes it disappears when you apply some pressure on your monitor but after some time it again comes back. As mentioned by @Alexandoy@Alexandoy it is causing a lot of disturbance to me. But I am not sure how much it cost to buy a new screen for laptop. I am sure it will be cheaper than buying a new laptop.

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Mine actually has them as well. I have around 5 horizontal lines across the bottom very close to each other and another close to the top that seems to sandwich the image of the screen. It suddenly appeared one morning when I turned it on. I have read that the connections inside are loose so one must open the laptop and tighten them back. These screens might not need to be replaced but just a simple adjustment which is a lot cheaper. I'm not sure, though.

7. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Is your laptop still under warranty? If yes, you can bring it to the store where you bought it and ask if they can have it repaired. But if not, you can try checking laptop screens on eBay as there are a lot of computers parts being sold there. You can also try looking at your local store and compare prices as well.

Buying a new laptop is definitely way more expensive than replacing your laptop's screen so I suggest you first try to look for cheaper screens to replace your laptop's :)

8. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    If it's still working, just buy a a screen for your laptop. It would cost you less obviously. It won't be a lot of problem if you are just using it indoors. You can save and buy a new laptop, but while you are saving, you can just use another monitor but you can't go anywhere while doing that.

9. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    It is usually not this easy, but even if it were sometimes I would just give in and have to get a whole new one. I am a little more picky with computers though, so that might have something to do with that.

10. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    In this situation, everything will depend on the need at that time. Particularly, I'd rather buy a new product than investing my money in repairs.

Obviously I can't always get new products, and if the way is to really have to fix something, I always try to make sure about the qualities of the professionals where I'll trust my laptop.

11. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Ha ha.. I am in same situation as you since long. I am using my samsung laptop since 5 years. It is still having good spec and running quite well. But once during travelling it got pressured on screen and it is having one small dot on it. Now dot is small and I can still use the laptop for all my work without any problem. So that's why I am not going for screen replacement either because for such small dot I don't think spending that much is worthy.

I am also thinking about to purchase new laptop. But right now because of my laptop condition and that small black dot on the display I will not able to sell it in that good price. So I am working with it for now.