A Waste Of Money?

Discussion in Travel Insurance started by to7update • Dec 13, 2016.

1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    That's another interesting aspect that you mention @efrain silva@efrain silva, once we are getting the insurance, just for a few dollars more we can get totally covered, so we end up paying even more than the basic. Sure, an insurance is an insurance, but after those short days we are on holiday that nothing happened, I preferred to have that money in my pocket haha.

2. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    Something else to consider with travel insurance is that it is sometimes bundled with house insurance or othe financial products. When we went abroad for a week, we were delighted to find out that my bank account came with travel insurance as one of the benefits, so we didn't need to pay extra. It is worth checking for this, because it is worthwhile to be covered otherwise you can run up huge healthcare bills, but if you can be covered for free it is definitely to be prefered!

3. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Now that's something very interesting you are mentioning right there @Jessika@Jessika, and it's actually something I have never thought about. Bundling insurances have a lot of advantages, and including travel insurance in one of my packages could actually cost me almost nothing per year, and I could collect the profit from there whenever I travel.

4. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    I am used to ignore travel insurance, but when I have heard a history that travel insurance was fundamental to solve the problem. Then, I started to consider to get it in my travels. Moreover, there are some international travels that I really advice you to get a travel insurance, especially, places with high crime rates.

5. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Mmm, travel insurance was fundamental to solve what problem exactly @Vinicius Souza@Vinicius Souza? I see it precisely as an insurance, a warranty that if we have any problems, we are covered, but more often than not, nothing happens, so it's just a risk we have to take, go for it or not, and expect the best. :)

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It is certainly not a waste of money especially when you know that medical bills are too high in other countries. I have just finalized a health insurance from Bupa which will cost me AU$256 per month for two of us. That will cover everything but dental treatment.

7. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    AU$256 is almost $200 USD, so it's not cheap at all! Do you really need to pay such an expensive insurance? Also, you mention per month, how many months are you going to need it @Ray1@Ray1? Is that a travel insurance?

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No that is not travel insurance but it covers all health expenses in local hospitals including day care for two of us (no medicines). I will be there for 3 years and my employer will reimburse me this amount. I could opted for an Indian travel insurance at 1/3 of this price but what they pay in case of visit to a doctor or in case of surgery etc is almost nothing.

9. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    If your employer will reimburse you, I think you have done the best choice because you will be covered for everything. What will you be doing in Australia, if you don't mind me asking @Ray1@Ray1? Australia and New Zealand are certainly countries I'd love to visit some day.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am going to Australia to manage a small branch of my company which manufactures and provide consultancy in a certain field. It would be interesting to note that Australia does not manufacture most items but imports them from different countries. We have been one of the main technology providers to this specific Australian industry (the other one is China)

11. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, Australia is surrounded by countries that have cheaper labor, so no surprise really that they import a lot of stuff. So it looks a really great job you have @Ray1@Ray1, best of luck with it!

These days, all my excess income I try to save it to travel, so maybe one day I will visit Australia. :)

12. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah sure it's waste of money. Until one of your loved ones get in a car accident and either dies without treatment or bankrupts you with uncovered private health treatment.

But it probably won't happen, right? And you have a lot of family members, you can probably do without on or two of them. Or they can do without you.

It's far more important to save a hundred dollars. I'm sure.

13. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I think the option of a travel insurance would be a wise choice. I haven't gone for any prior to know I just like getting some form of insurance in services I would want or need now or later. Almost same as having health insurance. Travel insurance would guarantee more security in the journey.

14. Rossy

RossyMember

Threads:
    Personally I would never get a travel insurance. I don't travel very often so to me it would be a waste of money. Like the whole of this year I haven't travelled anywhere. However people who travel often should really get a travel insurance.

15. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    That nothing happened does not mean that being insured in any means is a waste of money. Insurance, which is simply to insure against risk, is important in all human activities because, in as much as we can't say this event will happen or not, we have to have this type of back up should in case something bad happens.

So, having insurance in any form is not a waste of money for it gives the mind rest of mind for us to continue our daily activities with the hope that we are insured against risk.

16. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I naturally agree with what you say, but it still itches me paying for something that might happen or not haha.At the same time, it's something that makes my wife more comfortable, it's not a big expense, so we went for it, and we will do it again in the future most likely.

17. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    You say it was a waste of money because nothing happened but what if something had happened. Travel insurance is no different from any other type of insurance, in general, insurance is just to safeguard against certain possibilities. We insure against these possibilities but we usually hope that the events that we are insured against don't happen.

18. LesY

LesYMember

Threads:
    I always thought like that, like a travel insurance was a waste of money until I broke a bone in my hand while I was in a small weekend vacation. I was far away from home, and gladly it didn't hurt a lot and I didn't realize at the time my hand was broken (I know it can be a bit strange, but I've had other injuries in my feet so I just thought it will go away).

So basically after that, I prefer to always buy insurance because the amount that I spend on it is less than the one I could have spent by being hospitalized or any other medical stuff.

19. sommax

sommaxMember

Threads:
    It all depends on choice. If you wish to get a travel insurance, it's good and if too you are not interested in getting one ; it's also good.

20. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Well... Travel insurance can sometimes even sound like a waste of money, but I can never face it like that because things can happen / change in just the twinkling of an eye, isn't it? :confused: