Give Directly To The Needy

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by iamawriter • Jul 3, 2017.

1. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I have a Trust and I never give to any institutions but directly to those who need the money. I first check for the authenticity of the need and expect them to give me some proof of their need and then give them a cheque but never cash. This way I know my money goes where it deserves. I also do a follow up on their progress.
    Do you just donate and forget about it?

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I also like to know where my donation would be going as I like to make sure I am actually helping someone in need and not helping someone do something bad. I learned my lesson a few times when I used to give money to those who ask for them in the street. Like one time a lady asked me for some money and she had her baby with her so people will feel more sympathy, so I gave her a bit. The next day I saw her walking with her nice clothes and shoes while the baby was poorly dressed and dirty, I was even thinking the child wasn't even hers but used him as a bait. So yes now I always look into it as there are people who actually need it.

3. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    @iamawriter@iamawriter I have couple of causes to support. As an individual I cannot take up many. The ones which I am acquainted with and at times involved, I donate mainly to those places. In that way, I know that my donation is going to the right persons.

However, sometimes when children of my locality come to seek donation for a purpose, I give whatever I can. This is something I like to donate and forget.

#3Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2017
  4. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I am a charitable person. I always have a compassion to those who are poor and the needy. But sorry to tell you, I have never given giving donation to the charitable institutions and also for the house of the aged. What I usually do is giving my donation to our Church that handles all the donation transaction to the charitable agencies. At least, it is safe and it is well accounted for and monitored.

5. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @moondebi@moondebi That which the children come for may not be big schemes but the joy of seeing a smile on their face is more than the donation you would be giving. Most kids are incapable of misusing what they collect. Having said that those who donate to organisations must know where their money goes.

@Nakitakona@Nakitakona As long as what is given is well monitored and accounted for all is well. Nothing like being involved in those charities when you feel satisfied that what you give is used for the purpose it is meant. Not many NGOs as they are called are above board. They are known to misuse these funds.

#5Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2017
  6. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @Nakitakona@Nakitakona While I do not want to change your thinking about money remaining safe in churches I would still prefer if you gave it directly to those who need it. That way you know where your money goes. Why leave it others to decide where your money should go? This is my thinking

7. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Even those well established NGOs do not have a clean name. I just read about them on FaceBook and was shocked how little of what is donated goes to the right people. The more are aware of this fact the more will start giving directly.

8. Shana Peckover

Shana PeckoverMember

Threads:
    I do give to St. Jude's Children's Hospital...I know that my money is going to a great place that does great things! I also help those that Infeel have a genuine heart...not win cash, but I might pay for someone's meal or cover a few dollars that they might be short at the grocery store, etc.
    Drug abuse is out of control in our area. Therefore, we avoid handing cash out on street corners.
    I understand that most people want to know where their money goes and that they want to avoid encouraging bad habits. It makes sense.

9. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Even these so called NGOs cannot be trusted. We do not need go betweens to give charity. As those go between will eat most of it. NGO's are a mere facade. They are in business

10. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I have the trust issue as well, sometimes the institutions do not share all the donation with the poor people and this is the reason that I prefer to donate directly to the people in need. In this way, I know that my donation is getting where I wanted to reach, and the right people will benefit from my donation.

11. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to give directly to the needy and not through any institution because most people are not trustworthy these days. You might be giving up and donating your resources to help the needy and less privileged but all your efforts will be directed to individual or private pockets.

If you give directly to the needy, you are convinced you work of charity reached your intended target and as such seeing the kind of joy on such people that received your assistance will give you a bit of satisfaction to even always remember them and to plan for more assistance towards them.

12. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    Giving to those really in need is a good gesture everyone should follow and emulate. This is because by giving to the poor or needy and ensuring those funds are used as given, then it will go a long way to making the society a better place where sufferings and hardship are being reduced.

However, it is also good to give to the institutions that can help to make use of these donations in helping the poor and the needy. Such institutions like good churches around is a good example, in as much as some of these churches have turned the house of God to a money-making place, I still believe that good ones still exist. Giving to Non-governmental institutions is another great way to facilitate helping the needy in one way or the other.

13. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I donate money whenever I can and before donating I will definitely do a background check on the institution of it is real and are they really using the money for helping the needy. Only then I donate money and sometimes check. There are sometimes children will come for a cause and that time I don't hesitate to donate them.

14. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    My hubby and I give help directly to anyone who are in need whenever we can. Giving gives us a wonderful feeling as we are able to help those who are in need. However, we don't help everyone who ask for help because we had negative experience with some people who tend to abuse other people's kindness. We also don't use third parties (charities, church) in order to help the poor and the needy.

15. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    Gone are the days when we could trust these famous NGS Just visit this link

16. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    NGOs are into business these days. I have shared a link in @Barida@Barida's box and there you will get an idea of the so called noble NGOs and their hidden agenda. That is why I always give directly to the needy.

17. Kiama

KiamaMember

Threads:
    Donating directly to the needy is a sure way to make sure your donation is not misused but is there a criteria of knowing who is really needy and who is pretending. If you met someone on the streets begging there is no way you can determine whether he or she is genuine or not unless you personally know him or her or have met him or her previously.

When giving out you do so expecting a blessing. If you go doubting everyone you offer a helping hand to you might not get your blessings. God looks at the heart of the giver. If you gave your donation with a genuine and clean heart the blessing will follow you. The curse will be upon the NGO that has deprived a needy person of the donation.

18. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    That is taken care of. I will donate to those who are known in my circle if not directly known to me. I paid a guy's college fees who is known to my computer technician. When I throw parties for the less privileged I take care of the entire expenses. myself I never give alms to beggars.

19. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    I give to charities whatever I don't need and I also loan money with no interests. This is no problem with some people, I can even wait for months till they bounce back and repay.
    The worst case of a fraud I experience was when the mother with children came to my door ( this was years back) and I felt pity for her because she said she has no food and they are hungry.
    I emptied an entire fridge to her, just to see her husband drinking and smoking in the village the same afternoon.
    She came the next day knocking on a door hoping to see more food for her empty bag.
    I told her that she came to a wrong door because I am unemployed and I gave her all I had yesterday.
    She didn't even blink or took a moment to look at me, she just turned her back to me and knocked on the door next to mine.

20. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I had a bad experience too. There she was begging for money from those who were waiting for the traffic light to turn green. She wept and said she had no money to bury her husband and we could see a shrouded something on the footpath. Thinking that it was her husband's body, I took pity and gave her some money. The scene was repeated at another traffic light the next day (lol)