Another Email Scam (gmail)

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by littlewitch66 • Jul 5, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Yesterday I got an email telling me that 'my order had been received and was being processed'. Strange considering I had never heard of the email address this came from and hadn't ordered anything. It even gave me an order part and had my address and landline telephone number.

It then told me to click on a link to see details which I stupidly did. Surprise, nothing there! Arrgh! I have changed my passwords to all my email accounts, bank and Paypal and ran two malware checks which showed nothing but I'm still extremely worried.

I shall keep an eye on all my accounts and thought I would warn people in case they receive the same email as I don't want this to be a costly mistake.

2. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you @littlewitch66@littlewitch66 for sharing this so that we all can all be cautious. You are so wonderful that you shared caring about our friends. I have never received any emails like these but I don't open emails which I don't know or seems malicious to me. Because those emails are a source of malware and simply clicking on will place a malware right in our system. I have lost my OS in the past due to this and from then I will be careful when opening emails.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know it can be a worry because you want to check to see that no one has been using your card fraudulently, and that's what they prey on. What I should add is that if you do have a webcam to cover that up too if it's built in and only remove the cover when you want to skype of Facetime. This is because some hackers can remotely access it and see what you are doing.

When I was doing some surveys or click links on offer walls my webcam would come on all of a sudden with lots of pop up ads. I don't do them any longer, even reputable looking ones because you just don't know. Then all the offer wall or site will say is that you should report it, but it's all at your own risk.

4. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Thank yor for the information you have shared and for caring. It is very worrisome to think that our info is not secure online and that will make us click on links we are not supposed to. I had a malware attack my computer because of it and now my pc is not performing as it did. That is why I don't click on any email with an unknown email address, I have learned my lesson.

5. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I check my e-mails and there are unknown e-mails which usually goes to my spam folder, I don't open them. It's clearly that it's something fishy if they send me something saying that I won something from a raffle that I didn't join or delivering me something I didn't order. Yes for some people it might be intriguing and tempting to check but I'd rather not just to be safe. Thanks for sharing this anyway! :)

6. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I regularly receive spam and scam emails, however, I have never fallen into their trap. I get emails like I own a lottery, a rich woman wants to give half of her wealth to me etcetra. When I received one of these emails for the first time, I was like "what the f..." but soon I realized that this is a way to trap me. I have of course been scamed online, but it was not through gmail or any other email service. An easy way to avoid being scammed is buy looking as the sender address. If you find suspicious, just delete the email

7. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing and the piece of advice you gave too. Experiences like these are the main reasons why I am skeptical about some of the sites I visit and the kinds of apps I installed. There was a time I got a scam email promising some huge sum of money all of a sudden but before I can get it to I have to make some investment which was relatively very small compared to the promised money. I was doubting until a good friend of mine finally cleared me it was scam.

8. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, spam can be quite scary. My advice is just click the email and not the link, if something doesn't add up then just delete it. No point in getting worried over false information. I would also advice getting a good anti virus, just in case you accidentally click on a bad link. I can't tell you how many times I fell for spam.

9. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    You should never open a link where from an email that you are not familiar with, you managed to stay safe this time but be careful in the future.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Opening an email not exactly addressed to you is a mistake much more when you click the link inside. Last week my cousin was pestering me for assistance because she had clicked the link in the spam email. When she opened her Facebook, it was asking for a verification of the account details. In panic, she had changed all her passwords.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing the valuable information. I would like to share with all about gmail account when you've opened your email, special security click. At the bottom right of your gmail you'll see Details. Click on it then a little window will pop up on your left side then you'll see all your logins with your IP address. There is a click on that page that disconnects all logins to your gmail. When you click it all will be disconnected. Every time you login check Details and be sure you're the only one logining into your account. If not be sure to report it to gmail's security people. Thanks again for the information.

12. littlewitch66

Threads:
    Thank you for all the helpful comments here. I have been working with a friend who has been advising me on this and I have also reported it to Action Fraud who have all the details.

So far everything seems fine and I have changed all my passwords and I'm checking my bank accounts several times a day. A friend of mine seems to think it could be something to do with the ClixSense hack where certain details were accessed. I was active on the site at the time. Hopefully everything will be ok and I won't hear anything more.

13. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It does make you wonder how safe these sites are with your details. I use an email these days that is generic with no clue of a name, so when they try to send spam it says Dear wundercook or whatever I have chosen. That's one way to help spot fraudulent emails.

I don't like providing my address to sites where they won't be physically posting me things, and some do this to 'verify' your location. I think this is wrong as you could be renting and it would never show up anywhere, plus it creates more of a danger if they sell the information. Once I joined one of those writing sites where you post and they say they will share revenue; they shut down and then sold the emails to other companies and I was bombarded.

14. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    That's why I never click on such phishing links, they are just out to get your info. If I never ordered anything then it's obvious that that email is not for me, right? I also have an anti-keylogging and screenshot software, where it has revealed that Google Chrome has been tracking what I type on searches. It makes sense why they do that though. How are they able to auto-fill what we type in their search bar right? So they had to see what we are typing. So intrusive of them.

15. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    This is surely unique and new way of scamming. So far never encounter it. Thanks for the info, I will keep this in mind. Haven't you checked the URL before clicking it. I always check before clicking it, if I found something misleading in URL then I won't click it anyway. These days hackers are getting smarter, so better we too get double smarter to avoid them.

16. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is why I don't like Chrome and Google in general because it is so invasive. Even if I get an email with a keyword I end up with ads based on it whenever I do a search. One problem is when you sign up for some sites they do share the information with other companies that do mass spam cold emails and that is part of the condition when you sign up. Then it's hard to unsubscribe, and these people may go on to sell it again so you can never trace the true source of it all.

17. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's really very rare with Gmail but if it was the case then it is really worrying. As you said that the mail had your phone number and mailing address makes it even more serious. It's clearly a case of stolen data probably from a call center which is becoming more frequent due to greed of few of the call center workers selling data of the customers to fraudsters.

18. littlewitch66

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 I have been talking to a friend who is very tech savvy and he says he has been receiving this kind of email since the ClixSense hack last year. I was active on the site at the time and although the owner originally said no sensitive date had been accessed, it turns out that the hackers got hold of far more than they thought. I have actually deleted my account there now but on some sites it seems it is impossible to delete an account completely.

19. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    @Theo@Theo, I think that mainly concerns sites that are "offer based", like you avail of the offer and you get freebies or rewards, like Superpay.me for example, since it's advertisement based. I don't think freelance sites share our emails, only those that are commercially related will do that. My Gmail accounts don't get spam mail unless I use them to sign up to some sites, so at least Gmail isn't selling our info.. Yet.

20. bomb2060

bomb2060Member

Threads:
    Thank you for this warning. Quite timely, because i also received a similar email. The good thing is that, my email caught it as spam. Thus i did not take very keen interest on it. It's a very tough world we are living in now. All the major crimes in the world are cyber crimes. Since everything is going digital.

I was amazed by my brother yesterday, i learned that he can trick Captcha into registering several accounts in a certain website. That simply means that the digital world has loopholes that opportunity will take advantage of. The email scam has been there for a while now. But as the technology advances so does the hackers.

You should always invest in the state of the art security system. Both for physical access to you computer, and the virtual access to data. Both are prone to hackers.