Do You Cosume Sugar?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by remnant • Jul 15, 2017.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Numerous people have a sweet tooth and personally, I find it an uphill
    task to quit taking sugar with my tea. Sugar does not come cheap. In
    any case, the hazards associated with sugar has been equated in some
    health circles as equivalent to that of smoking cigarettes. Whats your
    take on this. I sincerely desire to quit sugar.

2. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Sugar is a doozy because, in the US, unlike with tobacco, there is no government program against it. In other words, there are no massive taxes on sugar and the price incredibly low because the US has an abundant supply of corn - the source of the sugar in soda. Anyway, there is definitely no movement to save on soda drinks that I know of, and possibly other sweet stuff is on the cheap end.

Right, a combo of caffeine and sugar is tough to quit. Nonetheless, I feel sugar can be consumed in moderation while tobacco cannot.

3. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I have a sweet tooth. I like chocolates and Indian sweetmeats. My tea and coffee are also sweetened with sugar. Sugar is an essential ingredients on some of my favorite foods. Consuming too much sugar is bad for your health. Sugar will increase the chances of diabetes. I am trying to reduce my sugar intake, but in vain.

4. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I couldn't completely get rid of the sugar even after the health hazards. But I have reduced its consumption and I think I would slowly reduce it. :)

5. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    You can replace sugar with coconut sugar, Honey ,stevia or Miracle fruit. Those are the healthiest sugar alternatives you can use that is much more healthier.

If you have a backyard you can keep your own bees to save money.

6. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I love sugar, but I don't often indulge in sweets, so I don't think my health is at risk everytime I eat sugar. Eating sugar is not bad, you just have to eat it in moderation so that it won't become a health risk.

7. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion sugar is not as bad as tabacco as sugar is not a drug and it's not addictive as for tabacco is and will also damage people around. I do like my food and drinks sweet but I do consume in moderation like with everything else. I am not a huge fan of soda so giving that up is not difficult for me. There are also other alternatives fir sugar which are healthier, such as honey so maybe those can be used instead.

8. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that the sugar is bad as tobacco, but it may harm our health slowly but steady! Well, if you want to quit you can do it by stop drinking tea, coffee and eating sweets. You can drink water with lemon, it is very tasty and will not harm you in any way, in fact, you will benefit from vitamin C.

9. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, unfortunately more than I should (I have to admit this :(). But I'm already changing my bad habit and I'm having good results. ;)

10. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Though I am cutting down my consumption in sugar, I don't think I can totally quit sugar at all. There are some food or drinks I would like to have sugar in them, such as Chinese sweet soup and coffee. We have to put sugar for baking cakes and cookies too. I try to use honey or sugar cane sugar as much as possible.

11. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a health buff but I am conscious of my health. But when it comes to food, I never scrimp with the flavor. My motto is to enjoy life and foremost is the food. Last Friday in a gathering, a cousin named Buddy related to me that he was not taking sugar for 7 years. He drinks coffee without sugar huh. He quit taking sugar when his physical checkup pointed to a rising blood sugar. But in that span of sugarless 7 years, his blood sugar level continued to rise. And now at 67, he is pre-diabetic already so he is now controlling his diet. That leaves me with the conclusion that avoiding sugar is not the way to avoid diabetes. You may just be depriving yourself of the good things in life.

12. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I consume sugar regularly, but within healthy range since it has a lot of negative effects and can lead to serious problems.

13. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Ooh I am such a bad person when it comes to sugar and especially chocolate. Even though I know it's not good for me I just can't help it. I'm particularly bad in the evenings when I'm watching TV as my mind keeps wandering into the kitchen cupboards mentally searching for something sweet.

I would save a fortune if I stopped eating sugar and probably lose a stone in weight!

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no problem with sugar whatsoever... not so far at least and then there is no diabetic history in our family so I am least bothered about my intake of sugar and sweets. The fact is that I am a bit crazy about sweet items (although not as crazy as I used to be a couple of years before). I like to drink above average sweet tea, coffee and other drinks and have no problem with soda drinks that have sugar. I eat ice cream, sweets, cakes and other sweet items without taking warnings against them into account.

15. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I personally do not like very sweet foods, except for some dishes that I love, but I cannot do entirely without sugar either. My husband and son are totally into sugar and I prepare sweet dishes quite often. But since we balance our sugar intake with vegetables and fruits etc. there is not much problem with sugar.

16. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    There isn't a need to take a lot of sugar in the diet. I normally use sweeteners in my drinks and only drink diet fizzy drinks when I actually drink a fizzy drink. I do get natural sugar from fruit and not forgetting the carbohydrates that I sometimes eat. The body turns carbs into sugar in the body and uses it for energy first. Only when it has used up the carbs will the body start to use the sugar.

To have a healthy diet, I try to stick to fruit and veg with a small amount of meat or fish. If I don't eat meat or fish I eat nuts. So my sugar intake is not something that I need to worry about as I think I have already taken it into account in my diet.

The only problem that does concern me is that I am not sure of the long term effects of consuming artificial sweeteners.

17. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    This is one where I consider myself lucky, because for whatever reason I have just never been much of a sweet tooth. I know that sugar is in lots of other things, but I still can avoid those easy pitfalls.

18. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lucky people who don't have much of a sweet tooth. I got a sweet tooth. I do watch my sugar, carbs and sodium intake to stay healthier.I take herbs to prevent diabetes 2 which are Oregon Grape, Prickly Pear Cactus, Fenugreek and Mulberry Leaf extract. I love sticky rice too, so we mix now with brown rice, barley and lentils & very rarely black rice now days. I buy Russel Stover's sugar free candies, sugar free cookies and less sugar ice creams too. As I said I got a sweet tooth, lol.

19. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly saying I don't like sweet more. I rarely have chocolates and all which is also in very small quantity. But avoiding sugar completely is hard for me. I don't like tea without sugar. I had tried it in past, but no good taste at all. Lol. I tried sugar free too, but I had heard that consuming more sugar free is not good for health. Is it true? I am not sure about it.

20. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeodMember

Threads:
    Every form of sugar is unhealthy, and I am trying to quit using it everywhere. Like in coffee, tea, and stuff like that. I like sweet stuff, a lot. That is my weakness. But I realized how bad it is and now I am trying to lower that a tad, no need to quit having sweet stuff, but a small adjustment will be fine.