Different Shops Have Different Connotations When It Comes To Sizes

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by iamawriter • Aug 4, 2017.

1. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    We all know sizes for shirts, t shirts and pants come in the category of S,M,L, XL, XXL, XXXL and XXXXL
    I have had bad experiences when ordering online. I had ordered for stretch pants of the XXL size but they were not larger than an L size. Then a t shirt from one shop with a size XXL was too large.
    Don't you think all shops should follow the same parameters when it comes to sizes?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So far what I've noticed is that from different countries clothes are very different, though marked S, M, L...I too bought from Walmart just by sight and by label, wow, it's not the same. When shopping at amazon, ebay & etsy, you have the chance to communicate with the seller...you can ask all sorts of questions so before you buy, you'll know to buy or not to buy. The clothes shopping in question was done at the retail store, it was smaller than anticipated, thus when washing I stretch it out ever so much so it'll be comfy. I love baggy clothes, so this is a must to stretch. I bought t-shirts on mark down so no returns. I will be more careful from now, lol.:D This is just a live lesson...live and learn. No sense beating yourself up about it. As you live on you'll find to just except we're all human after all.

3. Misty Jones

Misty JonesNew Member

Threads:
    If you're shopping online, you can enquire for the size chart.

4. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    This is one reason I will not order clothing online. Sizes are definitely not universal from brand to brand or store to store. I have found that from one place I can wear a certain size while from a different store or brand I can't. It makes buying clothing so frustrating. They expect everyone to have the same shape and size body. Even brands that cater to the plus size woman don't have universal measurements.

5. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @Misty Jones@Misty Jones The size chart shows the measurements but in reality the stuff that they send is nowhere near the measurements given. The only plus point however is that the shopping sites specially amazon in readily take returns without question and arrange for replacement or refund but if sellers are careful this hassle can be avoided.

@Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe I do not see any reason why one should call up the seller and enter into a conversation if the seller fulfils what they state. What I feel is that there should be standardisation when it comes to sizes, the world over.

#5Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  6. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    @iamawriter@iamawriter Hmm, but until it happens we can ask away about sizes. You're right, there should be some sort of uniformity for L isn't the same size in clothes at different shops. Just got to try it on or ask online shops about it till there is some sort of uniformity in clothes sizes.

#6Aug 5, 2017
  7. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe They also give measurements and we go by those measurements. But they do not turn out to be the measurements that they have mentioned in that chart. Offline shopping would be a better choice but there is limited selection

#7Aug 6, 2017
  8. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    You know there is nothing more frustrating than buying a size that didn't fit! Even on sale it's so very frustrating when clothes don't fit. I try it on no matter now. When buying clothes online, I'm extra careful and ask questions especially when it's not stretchy type of clothes.

9. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe The only consolation buying from amazon in is that they very rarely question. We do not even have to pack the returns. Their representative will personally come and collect the items and in a few hours almost I get my refund.

#9Aug 7, 2017
  10. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    @iamawriter@iamawriter :confused:Living on Oahu, we don't have this service I believe, so we still got to mail it back from Oahu. It's nice to have that service from amazon, though. I just bought from Walmart, 3 t-shirts, that I tried on. 2 was only $2 each and the other was $2.87. I'm amazed that the 2.87 is an 2x and it feels like only an L! I like the American sizes, much more roomier! Now I buy men's t-shirt at Walmart for it's got really nice sizes. I love baggy clothes.

#10Aug 7, 2017
  11. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe It's time all shopping lines have standardised sizes. They do have categories for different countries and inspite of that there are mistakes. It can be annoying when one eagerly looks forward to wearing something new and has to wait till it is returned and a new one is bought.

#11Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
  12. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    @iamawriter@iamawriter And how! The clothes from over seas are so small. I usually take a L, now with the overseas clothes it's 2xl! I go to the men's section for their clothes got pockets, larger sizes and is much more comfy-love baggy clothes, lol! But don't hold your breath for the change of uniformity in clothes sizes, it's a different world when it comes to clothes.

#12Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
  13. Misty Jones

Misty JonesNew Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe I also like the American sizes but my experience with amazon was not so good. Sellers are amazon are not true to the sizes. Now i usually shop from Walmart and sometimes calibreapparel.

14. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @Misty Jones@Misty Jones I have been buying from several sellers on Amazon in. Some fit me perfectly. I will now remember which sellers have the perfect fit for me and shop with them in the future. I still however feel sizes should be standardised and sellers penalised if they do not 'deliver'

@Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe (lol) I too go to the men's section for my 't' shirts and go for the larger size. No I am not obese at all but their size conception or connotation is totally wrong as I have written in my post. The only reason I shop online is because i do not have a wide choice here where I live. .

#14Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2017
  15. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    @Misty Jones@Misty Jones :)I shop Walmart all the time for sandals, t-shirts and sorts for I find the prices so good it's irresistible! T-shirts going for just $2, shorts for just $4 or a spaghetti tank top for just $1.62! Love Walmart's prices!

#15Aug 9, 2017
  16. Misty Jones

Misty JonesNew Member

Threads:
    I agree, when it comes to prices, no one can beat Walmart.

17. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well I learned this one the hard way, and I think I forgot a few times too so I had to relearn it. This is why I always prefer to buy my clothes in store though.

18. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @larryl332@larryl332 Offline shopping is the best when it comes to readymade clothes. But we do not have Malls with great choices. That is one advantage shopping online. There are countless sellers there. Once I know which seller has something that fits me I suppose I could rest in peace (lol)

#18Aug 10, 2017
  19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think if we deal with standard online shopping sites they provide different size charts according to products made in different countries. But if you still feel sizes are not according to your specification then as you have mentioned in one of your posts that the sites are ready to take them back. But, I always prefer ready-made clothes from local shops with lots of variety and actual feel of the cloth.

20. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 The point is where I live we do not have much of a choice and that is why I go online. I have been buying clothes lately and I found a certain seller giving me the size I want. I will book my orders there hoping that what I want I will find there.

#20Aug 15, 2017