Saving On A Funeral

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Jason76 • Aug 10, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Sorry if this thread is a bit weird, :rolleyes: but it's something that should be discussed. Note, these things are massively expensive for the immediate family and I was wondering if anyone knew of ways to reduce the burden. Well, one way would be to buy good life insurance.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm going through a funeral for my Mom who just passed on July 31. She had a funeral plan she got decades ago when she was young. She had known exactly what she wanted, ordered it and had a contract with the funeral home where she choose to have her end of life funeral at. She was wise to get the funeral plan. Though it doesn't pay for Reverend services and flowers, everything else is all paid for. Even the grave marker was bought at the time of purchase. My Mom paid for it in time, like you pay for a car. They'll take care of the body as soon as she passed too. There is absolutely no worries with a funeral plan, you pay for in time to ease the end of life journey. Online you can research to see what costs are and what services you'll pay for. One thing about having a funeral plan you'll know exactly how your end of life journey will be custom made by yourself and leaving no debt to your family for a funeral for you. One thing about paying for your funeral with your insurance survivor benefit. Death certificate takes about 2 months to be in your hands. Your insurance co. will want the Death Certificate, so you won't have survivor benefits till 2 months after your loved one passes on. While you make the funeral arrangements, most co. wants payment then as you plan it I think. I've read articles that you can ask the funeral parlor to get paid via insurance co. but what if they won't wait for this kind of payment?

3. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's a weird thread as we're all going to die at some point.

My mum had a funeral plan like @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe 's mum and it saved my sister and I so much trouble when she died. All her wishes were set out and all we had to arrange were a few last minute details. The cost was frozen at the price she took it out at and because the price of a funeral rises sharply over the years it saved so much money. It's a very stressful time when a loved one dies and knowing we could give her the funeral she chose really helped.

I have also taken out a funeral plan to make things easier for my children when I die, It's a five year plan and I have paid off 2 years but even if I die before it's paid off it is still frozen at the price I started it.

So sorry to hear about your mum Krissttina. It's a very hard time when our parents go.

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sorry to hear about the losses of your moms, @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe and @littlewitch66@littlewitch66. Losing a parent is so painful. God bless.

I agree that finding ways to reduce the cost of funeral expenses is an important idea. Having a plan in place is a really good option, especially with the price lock thing. Thanks for the advice.

It also spares loved ones from being manipulated into paying high prices for things that aren't needed. They often get guilt tripped into things with tactics like, "Doesn't your loved one deserve the best?" So, I'll add that finding a reputable funeral home is also important.

Cremation is still less costly than burial as well. I know some people are uncomfortable with that, but for me, it's okay. Either than or donate my body to science or to a body farm. I won't need it any more, anyway.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    Thank you very much for your kind words. No it isn't easy loosing a parent. Family helps with the loss, but there is no getting around the grief. I don't think you ever get over loosing a loved one, ever.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    Thank you kindly. It is very difficult loosing a loved one. It's so good to do all the last wishes of those who passed on. To be at the funeral home, making all the plans, is difficult to do and it's so much easier when the loved one has chosen everything, so you know it's what they wanted. I hope many find out that having a funeral plan is mostly so the loved one gets all their last wishes done.

7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My 42-year old godson died recently and he was cremated the other day. His children told me that they wanted a burial but it costs so much because they have to pay for the coffin and the tomb which is not cheap. For the cremation, the coffin is rented only so it is much lesser in cost and the urn for the ashes is just a minor expense. That’s the reason why cremation is getting popular in the poor areas because of the high cost of dying.

8. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy. Cremation is also very popular over here probably because of the expense. Some people like to have a grave to visit but when I see so many unattended graves in old churchyards it makes me feel sad. I think it's not only cheaper but cleaner to scatter the ashes of a loved one somewhere memorable or even just keep them in a container. I still have my mum's ashes and she died 2 years ago.

9. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    Funerals are so expensive and it is one of those things that families shouldn't have to worry about in their time of grief. It is hard to make decisions after your loved one has passed away. My dad had the grave site for them and the headstone long before they passed away. However, they didn't have anything else taken care of. When my mom was terminally ill, my sister and I went to pay for the funeral before she passed so that we had that taken care of. After my mom passed and after the funeral, I bought my grave plot and vault that goes in the grave. So I have that much taken care of and I hope that I will be able to pay for the funeral before I pass so that my kids don't have to deal with it.

A bonus of having everything paid for ahead of time is that it will be cheaper than if you wait. You get it for the price of one now versus what it will cost in a few years time. I think the hardest thing about it was picking out the coffin for my parents. It just makes it so much more real and it is hard to think about them being in there for eternity.