Teaching Kids To Switch Lights Off When They Leave A Room

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by littlewitch66 • Aug 29, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    My granddaughter is a nightmare when it comes to switching lights off. She will even switch them on when it is broad daylight and leave them on. While I know that many people will think this is unimportant I think it adds up over time. My father was very strict when we lived at home and drummed it into us that we would have to contribute towards the bill if we kept leaving lights on. This has no impact on my granddaughter so I am still thinking of ways to try and train her to do this.

2. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I can understand your concern and when I was young I used to do this. I will switch on the lights during the day and forgets to switch it off when I leave the room. But as I grew up I changed because of my grandfather who used to stress me about the importance of electricity and keeps reminding of the many people around the world who still have no access to electricity and suffer. So, whenever I see someone turning on the lights when there is no necessity I advise them to save it.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Though it is to trivial to putting off lights when they are not in use or especially during day time but it is energy consuming when it takes a long period of time. Kids and adults as well should be reminded always to put them off to save energy and money. There is nothing to lose when it is being observed and it is more on benefits for energy saving.

4. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    My son was just like your granddaughter when he was smaller but now I have explained to him that if I pay more money for the electricity I will not have money to buy him stuff and toys, so, he understood and he is very careful with the electricity consume. Sometimes he is switching the lights when I forget to do so.

5. jakub

jakubMember

Threads:
    That's quite great to hear, it seems like he has learned and is now being proactive instead of just being active which is amazing.

6. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    When my kids were little they used to turn lights off all the time, now I am constantly turning lights off when they are no longer in that room. Keeping the lights off in rooms that no one is using not only saves on electricity but also light bulbs. Luckily, I don't have a big house with too many rooms and so they can't leave on a ton of lights. Every little bit saved is good even if you don't notice it on each months bill.

7. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Most times people find it difficult to go and switch off the room light when exiting the room. This is actually a bad attitude to home living because it has many adverse effects. For example, one the light is on, electricity bill keeps on increasing thereby compiling lots of expenses for the person taking care of the bills.

It also pose a fire outbreak hazard if something goes wrong with power voltage. If there is power surge, the light in the room might accidentally spark off a fire which would cause so many destruction of properties.

It's never advisable to leave a light on in the room once you no longer have use for such light. The best thing to do is off it. Kids tends to find it hard adjusting to doing this but with consequent admonishing they would get the habit of doing so.

8. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    When I was young I still remembers that I can not sleep properly when the light is off so my parents keeps the lights on until I finally fall asleep. I still have no notion of budgeting and savings whatsoever back then. But as I was growing up, I started to realize things and take notice of these many things and so did my own little way to help boost the family savings. One of which is turning off the lights before going to sleep. It's a good thing to teach to children so they will know it while they're still young.

9. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, that is a problem most parents with kids often face. In spite of telling him all the time, my son keeps forgetting to switch off the lights and fan whenever he leaves a room. It can seem like a small thing, but it is not. Not just money wise, which keeps adding up to the bill, but as responsible citizens with concern for the environment, it is a must. So I just have to keep reminding him and get up every now and then to check if any lights are on or not unnecessarily.

10. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    When I was a youngster, my parents had always insisted that I should turn of the light when it was not necessary for it to be on. If I didn't do as I was told, I would get an earful on the values of conservation and I would endeavor as best as I could to follow the rule. Nowadays, I seems that that it may be a bit more difficult to have children becoming aware of the importance of the practicing this type of conservation. Many of them are so used to having most things done for them, therfore, they use the lights and gadgets and just leave them expecting others to do the putting away and turning off for them and this is the type of mentality that is preventing many of them from being able to easily conform to the conservation practices.

11. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    That can be a real pain if kids keep leaving the lights on because it adds up quick. I know when I was a kid my parents were also strict with me and would take away my favorite toy for a day if I left the lights on. Also, I know if you do a search on the internet there are videos out there that teach kids the importance of keeping the lights off. Maybe that will have some effect on her.

12. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Would you believe that when we were young, leaving the lights on in an empty place is a mortal sin in our home? Not just a reprimand but my father would spank us when we leave the bedroom with the lights on. That’s how we learned to be frugal because it was forced on our mentality by our strict father. But when I grew up, I realized his wisdom and until now I am practicing that lights out when leaving a room.