Refunds

Discussion in Misc & Others started by littlewitch66 • Sep 11, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    When I worked at a supermarket I served on the customer service department which dealt with complaints and refunds. Some people would complain about anything and the same people often demanded refunds.

There was one guy who used to go through his cupboards from time to time, find all own brand out of date tins and packets and bring them back for a refund. We were obliged to give him his money and he would walk off with a tidy amount in his pocket.

I would have felt very uncomfortable about this but the store gave him the money back for goodwill. Would you be brave enough to do this?

2. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. It is dishonest to me since he didn't buy them out of date. I think the whole "customer is right" policy is flawed. Companies will do anything to keep customers and it makes sense, but you have people who take advantage of it. I have worked with the public all my working life and they are very greedy people. There were a few people who were genuine in their complaints and didn't want anything in return other than to let the business know that something was wrong.

3. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    No. Not at all. I would ask for an exchange for an item I bought if the product is defective or with high value that I can't ignore. But I will never dare to return a product and ask for a refund. No matter how or where I look at this, I don't see where the policy "the customer is always right" fits in. Nor a refund would be appropriate on that aspect. An exchange of the same item would be the appropriate resolution to that concern.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't do that at all. I have legitimate times when I would request a refund. I bought the wrong thing a honey with asparteme, brought it back for exchange and the item I exchanged it for was more expensive, they took it back and I paid, for the remainder of the cost of the honey I wanted. Then another time, I bought online a microwave oven when delivered it wasn't working. I brought it back to the store and they refunded me...bought it on sale and it sold out. I had very few returns, for all the things I buy is usually very good. I recently bought a purse online at etsy.com...the zipper won't close, so I asked for an exchange, and got it. I just couldn't and wouldn't do what that customer did, just for money. Stores are very nice and give good bargains and you save so much money with their sales, it's sad that there are people who do that.

5. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    That is just so dishonest and mean! How can people behave in such a manner that is so glaringly and obviously cheating. I can never do that but some people are so brazen that they will do anything to save money or earn some quick bucks. I guess, you need to have a thick skin to do such things.

6. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Most people are just crooks and are always looking to exploit any advantage or an opportunity they come across. That a supermarket has a return and refund policy doesn't give anyone the right to abuse it but it is really just obvious that people are unbearable in how they think, behave and act.

Personally, I won't be having any thought to engage in such stupid act because in as much as you think you are cheating on supermarket by taking advantage of their return and refund policy, you are ultimately belittling yourself and selling your self worth for a worthless cash.

This is not encouraging at all and something should be done to limit how people take advantage of such policy. I would say the supermarket include a time frame in the clause of the return and refund policy, stating that the goods or any item bought have so so time lapse and once it's past that day and time, such products can't be returned ever again. I think this would go a long way in reducing how people are taking advantage of the supermarket policy.

7. littlewitch66

Threads:
    The funny thing was he was a very large man so obviously not starving. He was quite brash in his manner too. All the staff knew him because of his behaviour. Some people just have no shame.

8. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Is there a certain period for refund? Refund is not a common practice in my country, and I doubt it is practical for the shops too. I can imagine some people would be like the guy you mentioned, to just keep buying things and keep asking for refund. I remember when I was studying in Australia, there seemed to be no specified period for refund, and I heard some students just bought some winter clothes during winter and asked for refund after the winter is over. I really don't think this should be done.

I have not request for refund before, simply because it's not a common practice here. If there is, I might ask for refund only when there is really a need for it.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Refunds should only be given with proof of purchase and if the items are faulty. In the case @littlewitch66@littlewitch66 mentioned it was clearly fraud, because stores are not allowed to sell out of date goods in the UK. Some corner shops or discount ones do, and mark them as such but they are actually breaking the law.

Maybe they did it because they knew he was a troublemaker, but if I was a manager I wouldn't and would offer a gift card instead rather than a refund if no receipts could be shown.

10. littlewitch66

Threads:
    @Theo@Theo We always had to check with a manager to see if it was ok to do this but I don't think any of them refused him. He was a regular shopper so maybe they thought he actually spent more than he came back with. Pretty shameful all the same.

11. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    A situation like that will also make me feel uncomfortable. It will be hard to say no to the customer because it will put your job at risk incase the customer files a complaint against you.

Most supermarkets always makes it clear to the public that customers needs comes first and that they are important. This must be the reason the customer was refunded despite them knowing that the customer is lying.

In most cases, it is better to satisfy the customer than let them go dissatisfied so as to protect the company's reputation.

12. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sure that I will not be brave enough to do that. In the first place, I always check the expiration date before paying for the grocery items and I make sure that they're consumed before they expire. I've been on both ends, too. When I was working as an auditor for a supermarket, we would ask for the receipt and trace the purchase whenever someone asks for a refund. Each product has a bar code and a batch code at the same time so it's not difficult to tell if the customer's claim is valid or not. Additionally, we don't really refund but replace the product. The store policy is displayed near the entrance for everyone to see.

13. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes claim refund. I claim refunds only when the product is faulty or is damaged. When I am claiming refund, usually I go back to the store the next day. If next day is not possible, I will go for refund within 5-7 days. The store where I shop most of the time gives 7 days refund time, it does not give back money as refund, we have to find another product. If the new product cost less, we will get back the remaining money.

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @littlewitch66@littlewitch66 I would say that guy had no sense of ethics at all. I know stores in developed countries would not try to create a scene or think about their reputation and refund/replace items to the customers but if the trend goes on the day is not far off when the stores/companies will change their policies and bring certain policies for refund/replacement for instance limit number of days for the same and after that the refund would be denied.

15. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    This is surely not good. I wonder why they buy if they have intention of getting refund. It doesn't make sense. If by helping customer , stores have to suffer sometimes then it is not good for customer indirectly. I mean even later store will get rid of this system and that will effect even honest customer. So yes it should not be done like the way you mentioned.

16. littlewitch66

Threads:
    I think I may have mislead people. He wasn't pretending he had just bought them, he brought them back and told us they had gone out of date and still expected a refund. The store was quite happy to oblige him which I could never understand and found intensely irritating.

17. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    It's definitely very annoying. But these supermarkets are large corporations and I'm sure they are able to afford the costs which are why they don't mind take back these items. Since he is returning own brand items which probably don't cost them much, they are able to take it back without a fuss to ensure that the customer feels that he is treated well and will continue to shop at that supermarket. I'm sure that if someone tried this but with a lot of more expensive products then the supermarket may be a bit more reluctant to take it back.

18. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    That is so wrong on all points. Requesting for a refund on out of date purchases. I only ask for a refund on products that is defective and cannot be used. Oftentimes, I have just requested for the item to be replaced rather than ask for a cash refund. I think this is what retail shops have to adopt. Actually in my country, you cannot ask for a cash refund after 30 days (1 month). After 1 month, you will be given two choices; accept a product exchange or a gift card loaded with the amount of that purchase.

19. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I am using prepaid internet right now for one reason. You can refund money if your connection had been bad for years. In post paid if you have terrible connection for a week, You can't get your money back.

20. vinsenspy

vinsenspyNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with you Morgoodie however, there's nothing the Department Store management can do about this kind of customers. It is the customers whom they get profits from and that's I think the reason they just grant some customers' refund concerns and deal with such transactions. The best thing for them to do is to remind these greedy customers to view first the details on the product they purchase including the date, tins, and packets to avoid a refund issue in the future.

At some point being a customer, I have done the same thing like getting a refund for a tampered item. They didn't give me back my money but I was just fine knowing I'd informed the manager regarding their poor quality items.