Do you buy toys from the dollar store?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by andrew320 • Aug 30, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I was waiting for my fiancee after the gym so I decided to go through a stroll in a gigantic dollar store in the same mall. In one aisle, there was an entire wall of toys and I was amazed the selection. If I had a kid, I'd buy these toys, especially since they are expensive at a place like Toys 'R' Us.

To all the parents, or even non-parents: would you?

2. cmarten

cmartenMember

Threads:
    I have in the past. Or, perhaps more correctly, I allowed my kids to buy Dollar Store items when they had some of their own money. I figured it would be a good, inexpensive lesson in buying quality items, even if you have to wait to save up for them. I was right.

The dollar store toys we bought are cheaply made and fall apart very quickly. The only thing that has stood the test of time is a rubber frog that still shows up from time to time. In my opinion, they're just not worth buying, even if they are just one dollar.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I've bought baby toys for my granddaughters from Poundland, which is the UK equivalent of dollar stores, but looking at some of the other toys, they don't look that good. Baby toys have to be of a certain standard, whatever price they sell for. I do buy stationery and books and DVDs as little extra presents, or for Christmas stocking fillers, though. They are excellent quality, and you can provide a big stocking for minimum cost.

4. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I've bought one toy and till today its still hang on our ceiling.. its actually a hanging fly that I have to tie on the ceiling and just tap it so it will buzz once it circulate. Every time my niece visits here she always notice it and I have to tap it, she's amaze about it years ago but when she knew its actually a filthy creature, she no says, "yuck" when she sees it.

5. fishyfinz

fishyfinzMember

Threads:
    I would definitely buy toys for my kids at a dollar store. There are some really cute toys available for prices that are hard to pass by. I once bought my niece a barbie set from a dollar shop and it was totally worth it. The quality of the toys on sale is really good.

6. cmarten

cmartenMember

Threads:
    You're very lucky to have name brands like Barbie at your local dollar store. We don't get anything like that around here. There is a barbie-doll type knock off offered, but she is hollow plastic, not poseable, with crossed eyes and stringy hair and her clothes is all made of painted cotton. It's really rather awful.

I do agree with one poster though. The dollar store is great for stocking stuffers and party favor type things. We buy colorful pencils and erasers there, crossword and other puzzle books and ornaments.

7. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    My son is young so I've just recently looked at the toys at the dollar store. We just bought him a few things for the pool. He seems to like them especially the beach ball. We've also bought coloring books, washable markers, and stickers. He's just beginning to use them, but really likes them and it's worth the price. I'm sure we will buy more things like this in the future.

8. dvharris

dvharrisMember

Threads:
    I buy toys from there all the time. Yes, the quality is very cheap and some of the toys I've bought have ended up in the trash can, but I can't help it. I love the Dollar Tree store! Recently, I bought goodie bags, party favors for the kids, sweets, and cookies for my child's classmates to celebrate his birthday. I was excited to see my child have so much fun with the goody bag and all it held. The dollar tree is a Toys R' Us for adults if you ask me. I absolutely love this store especially for arts and crafts ideas.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It really depends. Some of them are perfectly fine. In general, though, you have to remember that they're going to be lower quality. They WILL break. And much sooner than other toys. So for toddlers, beware of tiny parts. And for older kids, know that it's best to get these for the "disposable" kind of toy where they're not going to play with it for very long anyway so there's no need in spending more.

10. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    There's usually something interesting in the Toy Aisle of the Dollar Store. Just recently, while browsing through there, I found some cheap Marvel Universe figures. I was excited as my son loves them. Then, I looked closer. Yeah, they are Marvel Universe figures, but unlike the mainstream ones, these figures don't any any articulation aside from the shoulder and hip joints.

11. workingmama

workingmamaNew Member

Threads:
    That is exactly what our dollar stores have. If you try to brush that stringy hair it comes out in clumps, change the cheap clothes and they tear up along with the dolls limbs breaking off. Not worth it at all.

I have bought other children's items there and been happy with it. Coloring books, workbooks, shampoo, detangler spray, bubble bath, yo-yos, paddle balls, bubbles. As long as you stick with goodie bag or stocking stuffer type little toys it's fine. But the bigger toys are more likely very cheap imitations that will not hold up and only lead to disappointment.

12. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I would buy puzzles and small balls there. They have some great coloring books, but I don't know about crayons. I am very particular about crayons and the ingredients in them. The Dollar Tree has some amazing deals and there are some great gifts you can get there.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are only certain toys that I buy at the Dollar Tree. I will buy puzzles, small stuffed animals, and coloring books and crayons. The Dollar Tree near me has a great selection of water toys. They only last for a day and are good as pool party favors.

14. Albertharris

AlbertharrisNew Member

Threads:
    The dollar store is the best location to buy quality and branded product. At the last I bought a small toys and picture books for my son. Here I got a branded product with affordable price rate. I got a discount price for some types of consumer products and gift items. I must say that this is a good store to which people want to buy toys for your child.

15. mermaid051029

mermaid051029New Member

Threads:
    I would buy from the dollar store for sure, especially for those good quality and branded toys.
    But sometimes we could find some of them are really not as good as expected.:(
    And also I would shop online, one of the best I'd share is this "Compartment Wooden Secret Magic Puzzle Box", amazing to my boys!

16. romanesc

romanescNew Member

Threads:
    I bought toys from the dollar store before and I never will again. They are so poor quality that they break apart within the first week and sometimes within the first few minutes.

This option seems affordable, but it is not considering the money spent on replacements. It is always best to just save for something better, something reputable, durable, and long lasting. In the long run, you will be happy as a parent from ultimately saving money and giving your kids something better and so will your kids when their toys do not constantly fall apart.

17. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Me and my friends used to go to dollar stores and buy a collection of a bunch of crazy items that were in display, just for fun. Most of the time that stuff didn't even lasted a bunch of hours, but i think it was worth it.

18. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I go to buy toys from the dollar store all the time. I am a Teacher and some of the toys at the dollar store make nice incentives to give to students for good behavior. I go to the dollar store often to fill up my treasure chest chest in my classroom. My son loves the dollar store too. He gets an allowance each week, and sometimes he likes to buy things at the dollar store. Because everything is a dollar he is able to get more than one thing with his money.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the toy and the age of the child. If it's a baby or toddler, absolutely not. Chemicals used by their manufactures are unsafe and there is no stopping a child that small from putting things in their mouths. Playdough or any other non solid from the dollar store I would stay far from, especially in the toy section. These things are cheap for a reason.. everyone should be more selective with what they purchase for their kids and know exactly what it is their buying.

20. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Depending on what dollar store it is. There is one where I live they have decent stuff when it comes to books and crafts but when it comes to toys they aren't very good. So I wouldn't by my kids toys from there. But there is another one that has a lot of nice toys for a dollar it's in my hometown now when I go to visit home I def would by the toys from that dollar store. I guess for me it depends on the quality of the toys.