Tupperware?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by ziska • Jul 26, 2016.

1. ziska

ziskaMember

Threads:
    A friend gave me a Tupperware catalog yesterday. I was shocked, first off because I thought Tupperware had gone the way of 8-track tapes and VCR's, but also the prices...wow. Not to offend any Tupperware sales people here, but I just can't see paying 30 dollars for a hand can opener, or 49 dollars for a salad spinner (like the one I just bought at Walmart for 12.99) Am I missing somethig? At best I would say that the colors are cute, and there are probably people who believe their Tupperware is of such high quality that it is destined to become a family airloom, but?

2. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I would probably lost my mind if something were to happen to all my tupperware. Actually I would just go buy more, because that is one of the great things about it, it is pretty cheap. I am a big leftover person, and so for that reason alone I need to have my tupperware on hand. Not to mention packing lunches and going on trips. It is just an all around tool that you must have in the kitchen, in my opinion, and it certainly helps save a little money too.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I haven't checked their catalog in a long time as well but I'm just assuming that since they have been around for so long that they feel their brand is worth that much and if they are still in business then maybe people are still buying from them and trusting them despite the high prices. I do think they are a good brand and that their products are t notch but with the many other options these days that are way cheaper and still relatively safe I'd say they probably have become a bit more niche.

4. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do think that Tupperware has a great product; but I also agree with ziska that they charge way too much for what the product is. Just because it has the Tupperware name on it, that does not mean that it is actually any better than some of the lower cost items that are comparable.
    They do come out with some unique products, and also with pretty style and colors; but I would rather spend my money on something that costs less, and be able to have more of it, than to buy the expensive name brand and only afford a few items.
    Mostly, you have to go to a Tupperware party to purchase it, and that wastes a whole afternoon of your time, when you could run to the dollar store and buy the same type of containers and be back home within a half hour.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with those of you who find it way too pricey. My daughter brought home a Tupperware catalog that they are using for a fundraiser. I could not believe the prices have gone up so much. They were never cheap, but wow. She was supposed to fill a page with sales. I don't know anyone who can or will pay 20 bucks for one bowl or for 4 plastic cups. I mean, yeah, their stuff is nice. It's good quality, but you can buy similar products at the dollar store that will work as well at least for a while. Even if you have to replace them more often, you can do so 19 times, before you reach the price of the Tupperware. That kind of puts it in perspective for me.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am sure handled properly Tupperware would last forever, but I am not going to pay triple the amount just for the Tupperware name. I mean Rubbermaid probably makes equivalent products at half the price, so why buy Tupperware? When it first came out it was a novelty and everyone was having Tupperware parties and the like, but now, not so much. I think people would rather spend their money on other things.

7. Saundra Jackson

Saundra JacksonMember

Threads:
    I agree Tupperware is really too pricey.But it is really high quality, also and it comes with a lifetime guarantee. My good friend works with them and I have ordered two things from her. one bowl and Herb Chopper. And I must say , Herb Chopper is soo good. It's a must have in my kitchen. I hate onion chopping, but thanks to my herb chopper it usually takes under a minute to me :p (You can chop literally anything with herb chopper)

So I must say, Herb Chopper is really worth the money!

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am surprised to read this thread because all along I also thought that Tupperware had gone passe. We have lots of Tupperware containers here at home that are still in use although some have no more lids. I remember in the olden days when I would be invited to a Tupperware party. That was their style of selling. There were parlor games where the prizes are Tupperware products and naturally the giveaways of small items. Maybe Tupperware can still be popular again with that kind of sales gimmick.

9. Noreht

NorehtMember

Threads:
    Tupperware is still a huge brand in my country, South Africa. We have a kitchen full of their products and we have containers, cups and plates that was passed on by my mother and have been in use for more than 30 years. It really is not a very expensive brand here so I can't really comment on the price, but the quality is certainly better than any other product I have come across, especially when you consider microwaveable products. The only other brand that comes even remotely close is sistema. I have a few of their products in the kitchen as well and I can reccomend them to anyone that is not using Tupperware.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, we used to use Tupperware too quite a lot before, and their products indeed lasted for many years. It is also not that expensive here in my country. But right now we seem to have refrained using them when they got broken and we have resorted to using ice cream tubs as replacement for Tupperware.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, the parties were fun, and it was a good marketing tactic. People always like to win a free prize, and they had some fun stuff. I remember a key chain with a tiny Tupperware bowl, complete with their trademark "burpable" lid.

I wonder if people still have Tupperware parties? It seems like most of the products that used to work that way have adapted to catalog and internet sales these days. It makes more sense, since they can reach a wider audience.

Again, the quality is there, but I just can't justify the price in most cases. There are a few items that might be worth the extra expense for some people (like the chopper, as noted). My sister in law loves the stuff and swears by it because she says it lasts forever.

12. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought a few pieces of Tupperware back in the day, and have one left. One got ruined when it sat with rotting food in it after a hurricane, while I was evacuated for a few weeks. Despite how much I loved that particular piece, I refused to even consider washing it out and keeping it after that disgusting experience.

I have considered buying a replacement that's used and vintage, because I'm not sure if the current products are of the same quality. That and the one I still have are heavy duty pieces, and some of the newer ones I've looked at (online, not in person) don't seem to be quite as good. I sometimes make homemade ice cream, and want it to last for a while after I make it, so I don't want to use some cheap product that might not preserve it as well as the one I had before. I agree their prices are high, but to me, for this one purpose, it might be worth spending a little extra. I don't use cheap plastic storage containers in the freezer, because the lids don't tend to be secure enough, and they come off in the freezer and the food gets ruined.

13. Norjak71

Norjak71Member

Threads:
    I use tupperware for a lot of things and most of them aren't even food. Since you can find them super cheap some places I use them for storage or a lot of things, miscellaneous items, paperwork, etc. It's a lot easier and cheaper than using a file cabinet and they are pretty space efficient.

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to admit, over the years I've spent quite a bit of money on tupperware. But the whole thing is getting tired because it does seem to be getting progressively more expensive, just as we're all tightening our purse strings. I've started saying no to the tupperware lady at work, and love that some of the big supermarkets are bringing out equally cute AND durable food containers to rival tupperware. That's what I've been buying more of lately, and it's just as good :)

15. Noreht

NorehtMember

Threads:
    On the Tupperware parties as a sales tactic I would just like to add that similar parties are still held, but mostly for other brands. My mother sells Shezen and I know they still have parties. There is also a lady selling Avon and Honey and she has parties for both those products. I believe it is still a credible sales tactic even in the digital age as the best way to encounter a new product is in person and it is alway easier to convince a person to buy something face to face.

16. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have asked around but it seems that no one knows about Tupperware parties anymore. Perhaps Tupperware had a paradigm shift and the olden way of promoting their products has been abandoned. I still have to research on what Tupperware is doing now. Maybe it has an online store now, I really don't know. Since I have friends here in the neighborhood, it is an opportune time for a Tupperware party.

17. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that makes total sense for your intended use. Otherwise, you would waste money by allowing your homemade ice cream to go bad. That would be like throwing all those ingredients away, so I'd definitely want something of reputable quality to keep it in.

In some instances, it is worth paying a bit more for something, especially if you have a distinct purpose in mind and it suits that purpose.

I have some containers that work pretty well in the freezer. I also learned a new tip. Put plastic wrap over the top of the container (tightly) before putting the lid on. It helps keep things fresher longer (even with good bowls). I freeze a lot of food.

18. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I have a huge package of cling wrap, and have started using it in the microwave. I have two of the plastic domes to put over the dish that's being microwaved, but that doesn't stop food from splattering up and making a mess, so I've learned to cover the bowl or plate with plastic wrap first, then add the dome on top, or sometimes I'll just leave that off. I need to remember to add a layer of cling wrap to the food I'm going to freeze before putting the lid on, because I'd forgotten that trick, thanks for the reminder @Zyni@Zyni.

19. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What I really want to know is where are you getting all this cheap Tupperware (to the ones who can find it cheap). I wouldn't mind having some if I didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for it. I get that the fundraising items are probably priced higher, but really, I just about fell over when I saw those prices.

Sure, @Diane Lane@Diane Lane. Glad it helped. I never would have thought to do it, but I was recently told that it works great. I always have cling wrap on hand, so I figured why not? It was worth a try, and it definitely made a difference, which is great. I hate to waste food.

20. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I have one other container that I like as well as I like my Tupperware. It's durable and was sent to me by my mom, who lives in another state. Sometimes we'll bake things to send to one another, and I've had this for quite a while, and it's withstood the test of time. It's made by Rubbermaid, and is a product called TakeAlongs. I have other brands and styles of disposable and reusable containers, but I think I will look for some more of the TakeAlongs, because it seems to do as well in the freezer as the Tupperware, although I would still prefer the Tupperware for homemade ice cream, unless it was going to be used pretty quickly.