Toilet Paper - 1 Ply Or 2 Ply

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Corzhens • Jul 28, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What kind of toilet paper roll are you using, the 1 ply or the 2 ply. One night, my husband posed this question to me and it got me thinking - which is cheaper to buy among the 2 toilet paper? The 1 ply is fast to consume since it is thin while the 2 ply naturally lasts longer. But what about the cost? So I did a costing by myself. It appears that a 2ply is more economical because it costs just a bit more than the 1 ply - 20% more or less of the price. Well, the logic is this... the 2 play against 2 rolls of 1 ply, you pay for the 2 the carton cores of the 1 ply while you only pay for 1 carton core of the 2 ply.

Is my logic sound?

2. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I have never used a 1 ply tissue. I just feel like they're just too thin and impractical to use. They are indeed priced lower than the 2 ply tissues but if you really come to think of it, they're easily used up because you have to roll out more for you to be able to decently use them.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have 3 and 4-ply here in the UK. The cheaper ones are 2-ply and still are good, but 3-ply is the best choice. There is so much competition that there is little difference in price, except the 4-ply ones are more expensive, but most people don't buy them as they are harder to flush and cause blockages. Many brands are always on promotion and have specials so that when I stock up on good quality rolls as they will always be used.

4. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    We were buying a big box of 2-ply from Sams. I remembered from years ago that Scott brand, which is a one-ply, was really good. There are now generic versions of the Scott brand. Walmart has one and we all agree that it is good toilet paper. And it seems to last much longer than a roll of that 2-ply. I did the math and if I figured right, we are saving about $5 every time we buy tp now, with the generic 1000 sheet roll.

5. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't like the one-ply tissue. I find that the two-ply is more is easier to handle and is more economical that the one-ply. I will have to use more than double the amount of one-ply that that of the double ply and the cost of a roll of two-ply is not as much as twice the cost of a one-ply roll.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally prefer 4-ply ideally, because of its luxurious feel! It's so soft and has that cushiony feeling, giving you a pampered experience LOL Not only that, it's not hideously more expensive, yet you have all these benefits including the fact that lasts forever. Sadly, over here I've only ever seen 2 ply, which to me is just not good enough.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not sure what kind I have right now, as I have bought both. Rather than going by the ply, I go by the yardage of the toliet paper to see if I am getting a good deal or not. Yes, I admit, I am one of those people! I just look to see if the number of square yards you are getting equals the price. I almost end up always buying generic.

8. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I use either 2-ply or 3-ply. I've only ever seen 1-ply in facial tissues rather than toilet tissue, and I tend to find they're more than good enough for that. I find that the 2-ply isn't bad but you definitely go through that more quickly than the 3-ply, and as most of the 2-ply and 3-ply are the same amount of money here most of the time I usually go for the 3-ply so that it lasts longer. I find that certain brands tend to last longer than others too. I took part in product trials of toilet paper a few years ago and I was surprised just how different brands can be!

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard there are people who buy two ply tissue into two rolls. The time all that takes! And they apparently do save some money. Something most people wouldn't dare try but I suppose those who use on ply toilet paper already wouldn't mind trying that? That said, if you don't want to save money on toilet paper there are other strategies better than using one ply tissue paper or separating two ply toilet paper into two rolls.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have always bought 2-ply tissue. I remember using 1-ply tissue and it was so thin and annoying to use when wiping your rear, lol. I remember seeing those tissues that are thick and for kitchen use in my aunt's bathroom. I wonder if those ones are cheaper.