Do You Spend Enough Time In The Sun?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by sunnyside • Jul 7, 2016.

1. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I have been reading all along that sunlight is very beneficial for our health. The sun is a good source of vitamin D which helps with the absorption of calcium and phosphorus in the body. This vitamin is good for maintaining healthy bones and teeth and can also protect against certain diseases like cancer and type 1 diabetes. It is believed that only about 10 minutes of exposure to sunlight in the midday sun each day can help promote good health. The sun is also good for one's emotional health and that is why in countries which experience winter, some people tend not to be as upbeat as in the summer months when more hours of sunlight are experienced.

I know of some people who do not like being in the sun and will do whatever they can to get as little sun as possible. It may be because they tend to feel heated when in the sun or after being exposed to the sun. While being exposed to the sun for too many hours may be harmful, it is better to take in a little sunlight every day rather than not to get any sun exposure at all.

Do you think you get enough sunlight on average or do you prefer to stay out of the sun?

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to go out in the sunshine for a while each day. When the weather is hot, I go out in the morning or afternoon when the sun is at an angle and not directly overhead. That way I can stay out a little longer and get plenty of vitamin D, and still not get a sunburn.
    I never use sunscreen because that stops you from getting all of the sun's rays, and just being careful to avoid the heat of the day seems to take care of most of that problem and prevent sunburn.
    We have a small backyard pool, and we often sunbathe on the pool floats in the afternoon, and that way, I can get a good tan and still keep cool in the water.
    In the winter, it is not so easy to get enough vitamin D because you have to wear heavier clothing, so then I always take a vitamin D pill.

3. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I get to much sun light, I'm getting blacker everyday. I actually don't like being in the sun because it messes with my skin. I thin what you are saying about the sun being really healthy to many people skins should only be applied to lighter skinned people, I'm not a dermatologist by the way.

My skin gets really irritant because of the rays that come from the sun, it gets burned pretty easily and makes my skin break out, that ain't healthy to me.

4. shcoo

shcooMember

Threads:
    I understand the physical and mental benefits of fresh air. However, I'm really pale and prone to heat stroke/heat exhaustion so summer is terrible for me. My apartment also lacks a private patio or balcony area. If it had one, I would read outside there all the time but unfortunately that is not an option. Instead I try to take walks to the park and lay in the shade.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like being active doing what I need and want all day makes me feel alive. I bus so I get sunlight almost daily. I stay home on Sat. and that's the only day I stay indoors. I do put sunscreen on so I get protection from the Sun too.

6. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Just being out in the sun can make you feel so much better no matter how bad you are feeling during any given day. I love spending some time in the sun, I just do not get to do it enough. Now that summer is here I plan to get out more and enjoy life. I spent a lot of time working online last summer and did not have a chance to get out and really do anything fun.

7. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely do not get enough time in the sun. I used to always go out into the sun. But with my eyes not as great as they used to be, I tend to stay inside. It's hard to even walk around the backyard without mosquitoes coming after me. They are obsessed with having my blood. But I definitely will go out in the sun more after my eye appointment. I always did feel better when I went into the sun, so I do prefer the sun.

8. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I suppose with all the technological gadgets we have these days, spending time outdoors has become less and less for most people. People tend to spend a lot of time at their laptops, computers, iPads, tablets etc. So It seems that many people do not find the time these days to go outdoors and take walks while enjoying the fresh air and taking in some sunlight. It seems like life has become more sedentary for most people.

9. Jannatul Ferdous

Jannatul FerdousMember

Threads:
    I am okay with sun when the heat of sun is not in intolerable level, otherwise its tough!

10. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    When I garden, I get enough sun. However, during the rest of the year I do not. Fortunately my last bloodwork showed that I was not vitamin D deficient.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I walk in the mornings and garden so I know I get enough vitamin D. My grandson's get upset with me when I make them go for a walk to get some of the much needed vitamin D to avoid having to a daily supplement which cost money, the sunshine is free.

12. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I don’t spend much time in the sun. I don’t like spending time in the sun. I don’t like summer and the heat of the sun is too much for me. Yes, I can spend time in the sun during winter. But in my country we have winter only for a few months. Since I have a full time job, I am mostly indoor.

13. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Every lunch time, I go to the parking lot just to get sunshine. I feel so refreshed right after doing this and I don't know why, but I'm thinking maybe because the warmth of the sun helps in blood circulation. I wanna comeback to mountain hiking again, this is actually the best way to experience the sun. :)

14. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I'm one of them who will do anything to avoid the sun. It is not that I hate sunlight, but I've a severe problem of migraine which gets aggravated in sunlight. Sunlight, especially that of morning an evening is really good for for health as this is a prime source of free vitamin D. Doctors are even advising to get soaked in sunlight instead of popping vitamin D tables. My isolation from sunlight has caused an acute decrease in vitamin D level, but I've to bear with it.

15. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Except the morning or early morning sun which I understand fixes us with vitamin D I don't like staying under the sun for a moment. I only like staying under the morning sun fairly because of the sure vitamin. Once it's over I like to stay clear from the sun as much as I can. I like an environment that is fairly cold or lukewarm, hate to be under any excruciating heat or hotness from the sun.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in a country where sun is too harsh for almost 8 months of a year. The temperature in some cases reaches 45 degree C during noon which is almost impossible to tolerate. In my area spending a few minutes during 8-10 am is enough for getting you required vitamin D. More than that could tan your skin and give other harms besides heat strokes especially during May through June.

17. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    Coming from Jamaica, I wish I could not spend as much time in the sun as I do. We literally get it 12 months a year and it's so annoying sometimes. So, I don't think I spend as much time in the sun.. I think I spend too much time in the sun.

18. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I try to go out for at least 1 hour a day and I don't know if that is actually enough. I feel refreshed every time I do so and actually makes me feel more alive. My daughter gets very bored being stuck at home and we go out she looks and feels happier. I guess the sun light has that element that gives us energy.

19. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Sufficient sunlight is essential for a number of reasons, primarily combating depression, maintaininggood bone and tooth health. lower rate of heart and prostate disease, and good vision. The amount of sunlight needed for good health varies with ethnicity, but people of all ethnicities need to understand the dangers of over exposure. A few years ago an African American friend told me that when he moved to Florida from Detroit he was surprised to learn that he sunburned aseasily as anyone else. Skin cancer rates among dark-skinned people tends to be high because they tend to be careless about sun exposure.

20. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I spend a lot of time in an automobile during daylight hours. Hopefully, that's enough sun for nutritional requirements. However, I have gone thru phases where I am up all night. Such a schedule can be a problem in regards to getting sunlight, especially in the winter.