What Was Your First Job?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by rosemoon • Jul 10, 2016.

1. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    Hello everyone!
    My first job was Mcdonald's, I lasted a little over five months and sometimes I hated it! Once a manager asked me to clean up the lobby area before leaving so I mopped, cleaned some tables, wiped the windows, etc. When I announced that I had finished and was ready to leave, she led me throughout the restaurant pointing at the smallest corners of dust complaining about how dirty it all was. She gathered some dust from the bottom of a chair on her finger, said something about how it looked like eye shadow and threatened to put it on my eyelid! I backed away from her, incredulous, but she just laughed.

What was your first job? Did you go start out with restaurant/retail jobs or something else? How was it?

2. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    My first job was in the spring when I was a senior in high school. I worked the front at the local Dairy Queen where one of my friends worked. I discovered that it wasn't for me and soon went to work at the local florist shop.

3. Krnasmommy

KrnasmommyNew Member

Threads:
    My very first job was Sonic in Kentucky. I loved that job. Everyone I worked with was so much fun and outgoing. It didn't make going to my job to feel a chore. I worked there for about two years until I moved to Arizona. I do miss it a lot.

4. emuzeskylow

emuzeskylowNew Member

Threads:
    My first job was teaching. As young boy that just finished his high school education I had no experience whatsoever in the area but somehow I found myself being loved by the owner of the school that he made me his assistant. It was funny though but just how it works in my country. But now, I can't find myself teaching again because it wasn't my thing right from time. It was just a thing to get by at the time. Survival, I guess!! Lol

5. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmyMember

Threads:
    I am an Accounting graduate by profession and so my first job was a bookkeeper in a company. I was in the Accounting and Financial Department. Sometimes I do the work also of an internal auditor and I audit the financial statements of our company.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I started out in retail when I was at University as a part-time job and it was an eye opener. If anything it made me realize that it wasn't a great career, but also it taught me so much about humans and how they really behave. My first job was one of the biggest department stores in England and I got it with no experience as the HR lady went to my University and gave me the job on the spot. I was lucky.

7. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    My first job was a full time one designing the PLC logic behind devices of the size of a wardrobe for Industrial process automation.

8. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Burger King. It was run by a family friend but I didn't get preferential treatment. Except for getting my purse stolen, it was an okay job.

9. iRoxas

iRoxasNew Member

Threads:
    I haven't actually had a job yet which is sad, and I have actually tried to get a job before but sadly it's impossible for me. I've applied to various online applications and they never get back to me which sucks because I put so much time into that application and I don't even hear back. They should at least say I wasn't qualified or something like but, but to not respond to you is kind of rude imo.

10. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    When I was till in college, I was hired by a journalist to work as his apprentice. This was my first job. I did not have fixed salary and was paid based on how many hours I work in a week. Usually, I worked 20 hours in a week and was paid $1 per hour. It was about 15 years ago.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow @rosemoon@rosemoon, that wasn't very pleasant! I do hope your luck has since improved in terms of your bosses. My very first job was at a take away restaurant/bar owned by my aunt. It was great because she's one of my favourite aunts and she was really supportive and accommodating. I really enjoyed it too, and found it very enlightening. I was very lucky really, because after I left that job, I was an assistant at a hairdressers, where I did a variety of things including sweeping up, washing hair, prepping customers for treatments and standing in for the receptionist.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My first job was cleaning and painting student rentals around the university where I grew up. Small Reno's and such. Most disgusting job ever lol. Poor little rich kids on their own for the first time are the filthiest beasts on the planet lol.

13. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I had a pretty good little babysitting business going when I was in high school. Parents will pay well to make sure their children are well cared for. And I got to know the children. It made me want to be a mother some day. It's good, home-based work that is relaxing and comfortable.

14. CaramelMax

CaramelMaxNew Member

Threads:
    I was 14 and I was digging potatoes :D Yea, true story, early in the morning in the field, but it was very fun. We were about 30 people, different ages. I learned a lot there.

15. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I went to Mc. Donalds trying to get hired when I was 14, 15, and 16. I remember going to many location, and then one day they told me you needed to be 17. I went to work at Domino's pizza, it was super fun working there, and I got free pizza almost every night.

I had made lots of friends, and remembered our regular customers. It was a great experience.

16. whysewserious

whysewseriousMember

Threads:
    Outside of babysitting, my first official job was as a cashier for Kohl's. I really enjoyed the discount aspect of it.. The job was very short lived, however, as there were two employees with my first name and last initial. For whatever reason, the schedule never included last names so we were either showing up for the wrong shifts, showing up at the same time, or a shift was not covered at all.

I think management should have either let us know this was happening, or adjusted the schedule to be more informative, but I discovered the problem when I showed up for work by being fired! I have tried to not let this mar my opinion of the store, but I have not shopped there in almost a decade.

17. 17emilyhalko

17emilyhalkoMember

Threads:
    I'm not sure that this really counts as a job, but other than babysitting, my first job was apprenticing with a local artist. I was paid for my work too! During one summer, I would go to the artist's house every few days and make wind chimes for her and she would sell them and give me money for the ones that I sold. It was nice!

18. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    My first job was when I was 13-14 I was the burrito girl at a motorcycle Sunday event that happen once a month in a small town. 5,000 or more bikes come every first Sunday of the month and I sold breakfast burritos. I got paid good and I ended up being about to purchase a trip to Europe when I was 14 with that money and my 4-H pig money (from selling pigs). My first real job after that was at a small grocery store, I worked 25 hours a week after school. I was like their go to girl when people called in becasue I literally live a block a way. Pay was minimum wage at the time (5.45) I think. I worked there all through high school.

19. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    MY first job was working as a landscaper being paid minimum wage. I worked 8-10 hours a day and it was pretty rough. Some days were easier than others but rainy days always rewarded me with a paid day off.

20. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    My first job was Teaching. I taught in elementary school immediately I finished my High School. It was a very interesting experience especially for the fact I was able to successfully impact the pupils with all the necessary knowledge. I did the job for about a year and half