Find It In A Mall But Buy It Online

Discussion in Online Shopping started by GreenPersimmon • Aug 26, 2016.

1. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    I found this dragon bracelet while window shopping at the mall. It's technically for men but I like the simplicity of it and the geometric design of the dragon's head. But it's way over my budget. It would end up being about six hundred and fifty dollars after taxes. I love it but not that much. It's been discontinued, so I'm kind of hoping to find it for a cheaper price online at either Amazon or eBay. Do you find yourself falling in love with an item, even though it's ridiculous and out of budget, and then go find it online for cheaper? I find myself doing that more and more. I like being able to see the item in real life but I hate the price tag.

2. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    I normally do the reverse. I will do my window shopping and price comparisons online. Then I go down to the mall to buy it. Somehow I like the immediacy of buying at the mall. The only exception is when I go down to the mall and find that the prices there are a lot higher than what I have to pay online. In that case, I would buy online and wait for the goods to arrive.

3. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I also do the same as what @Aree Wongwanlee@Aree Wongwanlee does. Since I'm mostly online, I usually eye shop online and when I get the chance to go to the mall, I compare the prices of the items I saw online. If the online item is much cheaper than the one at the mall, provided that all additional costs are computed, I would most probably buy online. If it's the other way around though, I would certainly buy the one displayed in the mall. :)

4. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    For budget reasons, certainly. If I stumble across something appealing, my first reaction is to check Amazon.com, look for articles and compare prices. Even when the price falls within my budget sometimes, I always get the idea that somewhere around internet is willing to give away the thing for a far cheaper price. Perks of being a price hunter, I suppose.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like Gracer & Aree I usually find things cheaper at brick and mortar recently, after I do a little window online shopping. There are times when it's the opposite and I find just what I wanted online so way cheaper, so I'd say it depends on the time and item. I love when I find exactly what I need and want so cheap and good quality!

6. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I do it alot, once I found out how business work online vs local, I started to dislike the practices, but it's business. They do what they want, and I bought a queen size air mattress from walmart for $90 dollars, and went online the same night to see it was on sale for $49 dollars, and it had the original price that I paid in the store.

Now I always check online prices, like when I was going to buy this brand new car, it was local for $21.5K, but online they had a deal going and it was for $19.5K. I called them and told them what the price was online, but first I asked the guy how much it was and he told me, that's when I told him the online price and they said that's how much they would sell it to me for.

That changed my thoughts on business and shopping.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do the same. Sometimes I do window shopping in online stores but I rarely buy. It is just my way of satiating my hunger for shopping. But in fairness to me, I take note of good items that catch my fancy and when I go to the boutiques in the mall, those items would be my haunt. Unfortunately, not all those items in online shops are available in the mall. In that case, I have no choice but to buy it from the online store.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do both depending on the item in question. For large goods I like to see them in person and then buy online if there is a deal or a cash rebate. Smaller items I may see online and then go and buy them in person such as cosmetics or colors because you can't really judge a lipstick color online. I made that mistake and ended up having to return it.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are things I buy online and there are some I don't. However to find out how much I'd be saving if I got the best deals, I always take a look at prices of whatever I want to buy online then head off to the stores. Should the price be ridiculously high then I'd consider buying the item I want online. I've never actually done some window shopping in a brick and mortar store then decided to buy something I liked online.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is is something I do ALL THE TIME and have done for years now. I find that it saves me a lot of money in the long run. I do a lot of window shopping and then take to the internet to see if I can find the exact same item for cheaper, and more often than not I do :) For instance, I love Superdry clothes, but find they are way too expensive on the high street. I therefore always check the high street prices against the prices on their eBay outlet store and always find the latter way cheaper. So that's where I get all of my Superdry clothes. The high street stores serve only to give me an idea of what's out there.

11. Peachdejour

PeachdejourMember

Threads:
    If I find a product I like, I always price shop for it online. It's almost always cheaper somewhere online, or I end up finding something similar that I like better that is cheaper. I hate spending a lot of money in the store if I know I can spend less somewhere else. However, you also have to look at the shipping prices. Sometimes the shipping makes it worth it to go buy some product at the store. That's why I love my prime membership.

12. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I window shop and then I check online to see where the best prices are at. Some persons may attest to tho the fact that the item could probably be cheaper online, but I am wondering if they have factored in the shipping and handling charges also because this charge sometimes adds quite a bit of elevation to the price in the store.

13. Aree Wongwanlee

Threads:
    True, sometimes adding in the cost of shipping and handling negates the initial lower price. However, I don't buy online for other reasons. The main one is that, for many products, I would like to touch and test it before I pay for it. That's impossible when shopping online.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I really need something then I just buy it asap in the mall, I just compare the prices on the same stores and I will buy the cheapest priced one. If I buy it online I will always get charged additionally for shipping anyway or customs taxes, unless the store offers free shipping, so the price for shipping invalidates any discount that you could have gotten from the mall.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It goes both ways for me. Some items I have found offline turn out to be more expensive online which is why it takes me some time to buy items these days because I tend to wait until I get to browse the malls first to see if I am paying more online or not. Though most of the time the difference is quite minuscule so I don't really mind it that much but if the item is expensive then I do tend to weigh my options a lot more.

16. Aree Wongwanlee

Threads:
    There's one place in Bangkok which is wonderful for shopping. It's called the Pantip Plaza. This mall is full of shops selling kinds of computers and computer-related items. The prices are all put up on big signs right in front of the shops. All you have to do is walk along and take pictures of the prices, then go and sit down somewhere for a cup of coffee, compare the prices and make your purchases. It's really fantastic to be able to shop for the best prices all in one place.

17. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    As some claim here, I mostly just browse online prices and go to the store to see if I still like it. More than often, the items would look better online than when physically holding it. Sometimes shiny plastic looks better online than in person. But yes, I've done that a few times but mostly just to check if it's cheaper somewhere else and if not, I'd just go to the store and buy it where I found it.

18. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I do the same thing due to the fact that malls sell products almost twice or thrice the price as compared to products being sold online. To save more, I make use of my credit card for most payments as it accumulate points and rebates--this in turn saves me more but if there are big sales in Malls, I usually go there and shop items which in turn I could use to sell extra cash online.

19. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a good trick for money savers. However, are you sure that what item you see in the mall is exactly the same item that will be delivered to you by the online store? This is not to smear the online stores but I don't trust them that well. In fact, I have been meaning to buy a dash camera for our 2 cars but I am not convinced of buying from online stores because when there are issues especially refunds, that would be an ordeal. For electronics items, I would rather buy from the real store for now.

20. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I know of customers who would come to the shop to check out an item, take a photo of it and note the price. After then they would go online to see the exact item and compare the price online to that of the local store. If they see it's cheaper online they'd order for it there. Personally I don't always buy items online.