Starbucks Or Diy Coffee At Home?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Working Buck • Oct 16, 2016.

1. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    Me and my wife used to go to Starbucks or other coffee shops for our coffee before we call it a day. But ever since my wife tried doing the same cold drinks that these shops are serving, we just had our coffee at home. It's way cheaper and we can customize it more and make more experiments out of it.

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love the flavor of Starbucks coffee; but the prices that they charge are just way too expensive for me to go there very often. When we do stop at a Starbucks, it is more like going out for a treat than just a regular coffee stop.
    I also use my blender and make iced coffee with different flavors in it, and I enjoy that just as much as the Starbuck's kind, and it saves me a lot of time and money both.
    When I make my own iced coffee, I use an extra large scoop of instant coffee, rather than leftover cold coffee from that morning, and this gives the iced coffee a much richer flavor. Even when I add cold coffee to the mix, I still always add the scoop of instant coffee so it has that deep and rich flavor that Starbucks has.
    Sometimes, I even add a bit if instant coffee to the hot coffee that I drink in the mornings, and that makes it stronger and more flavorful, too, and I still do not have to use extra coffee grounds when making the coffee.

3. Working Buck

Threads:
    Thanks for the info. I have not tried mixing instant coffee with my brewed coffee. I do think that would help me save a lot. I will try that right now.

4. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    It was lovely learning to make coffee at home for me and my family. I prefer the do it at home method than going to the coffee house with family. Making it at home is cheaper, I can prepare it to whatever taste I like. It saves me time and energy since there wouldn't be need leaving the house to order for one.

5. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I consider Starbucks coffee to be not worth the price they are sold for I rather make my own coffee which is way cheaper. Why waste more money on something you can make yourself and can even turn out better. The prices are that high since people still do buy them. I don't find anything special in their coffee, the flavor is normal to me.

6. Working Buck

Threads:
    I agree, my wife's coffee tastes a lot better than what they serve. And it does not even cost half of how much they sell it. They only are selling the name I must say.

Agreed. It's fun, cheaper, you can customize it. And the best part of all, you can have as much as you want.

#6Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2016
  7. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Totally agree. Starbucks coffee are really expensive. Well I must say most of the coffee shops sells expensive coffees nowadays, whether it's just a plain brewed coffee or a frappe.

I do love experimenting coffees and other drinks at home that's why I was never became an avid coffee shop goer wherein I spend most of my days at a coffee shop or buy coffees or frappes from them (and take pictures of it and post it online, LOL). Aside from it being costly, sometimes it's not even worth it, well most of the time to be honest. I don't intend to brag but I love my homemade brewed coffees and frappes because it tastes better than those at the local coffee shops, not to mention it costs way more lot cheaper.

8. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I stopped going to coffee shops a long time ago because they are so expensive, I really like coffee shop coffee but now with the different flavored creamers and iced coffee recipes it is easier and less expensive to just make them at home! I am a all day coffee drinker (actually sipping on some right now!) so I could not see myself paying for starbucks coffee, I would be broke.

9. Working Buck

Threads:
    I totally agree with the broke part. Whenever my wife and I try some coffee from a coffee shop and costs a lot, I would ask her if she lost a tooth while drinking. I usually go on saying " I just chewed on some gold!". In our place, 3 frappes costs a day's work. It's totally fine with me if it just costs an hour of work for a frappe. But with how much they are charging now, it's a big no for me.

10. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Since I have a really sweet tooth, the coffee that is being sold outside does not appeal to me at all because all of them are too bland for my taste. I even told the barista to add more sugar to my coffee, but he seemed to refuse, lol. So I would rather just concoct my own coffee at home, it's cheaper and it definitely suits my taste.

11. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a coffee drinker but I sometimes drop by Starbucks for a chocolate drink. However I only do that when I need to drink to relax me before I drive. .. traffic is horrendous.

But I shake my head in seeing people loving Starbucks. It's a very expensive cafe. The competition is definitely cheaper. And if I were them maybe I would have coffee at home and avoid extra expenses.

12. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    The only thing I love with Starbucks is their Green Tea Frappe. When it comes to coffee, I prefer brewing and mixing my own concoction not because it saves me money but it's because of the fact that I can do whatever I want with my mixture. The best coffee I've tasted so far is the Alamid Coffee brewed with coconut juice, and the mixed with molasses and full cream milk.

13. Working Buck

Threads:
    I do like it when the bitter taste of coffee mix with something that is extra sweet plus the taste of something creamy to go with it. The same reason why I like my coffee done at home, you can do it how you want it to taste, and you get to have as much as you want too.

14. Working Buck

Threads:
    I've heard of this Alamid coffee but haven't really tried it. And brewing it with coconut juice really intrigued me. hope I could find this type of coffee in stores so I can try it. About molasses, what specifically do you put in there?

15. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I just buy one of those 3 in 1 sachets, and I just put a lot of sugar in it. Those sachets cost only 21 cents at the most, so that's a lot of money saved. If I were to buy something expensive, I will just splurge on Krispy Kreme donuts which is quite expensive (compared to Dunkin Donuts) rather than buy Starbucks coffee.

16. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Walk around most cities in the world these days and there's an abundance of coffee shops on every street corner it seems. Of course Starbucks is the most widely known but thee are also a lot of other brands now that are cashing in on the coffee economy and it makes me wonder how they're all going to stay in business and compete with each other, as they all sell roughly the same items.

While I do get a coffee from these places, because of the price I see it as a treat once or twice a week more than anything and more often than not I tend to make my drinks at home. The quality might not be the same, but sometimes when it comes to saving money we have to compromise and I can't justify spending all that money on Starbucks coffee everyday unfortunately.

17. Working Buck

Threads:
    I do agree with the Krispy Kreme part. They are not expensive actually, they have value. And that is what I am looking for, if a coffee tastes really good and costs like ones they serve on other shops, I might buy some.

18. Working Buck

Threads:
    Totally agree with that. I mean, why does coffee have to cost an arm while there are others who serve them with cheaper price? I mean, it is not like they would shut down if they sell it cheaper. I don't think if it is still the same today but back in 2010, coffee has the send largest market in the world next to oil. Which means they do have tons of would be customers out there. But still they keep on selling overpriced but not too good coffee.

19. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    For me I think it's comparable to maybe say Apple products in the fact that people just buy it for a fashion statement more than anything else. People will buy and iPhone even though it's more expensive than other brands on the market that are just as good, and I think that can be said for Starbucks coffee as well.

People are more interested in walking down the street with a Starbucks cup than what they are interested in what's actually in there being better quality. To some extent I think we are all fashion concious to a certain extent. Brands know that, so can get away with charging the prices they do.

20. Working Buck

Threads:
    True. I do know a lot of people who are in the BPO industry, a lot of my friends work there because of the salary. Most of them usually post pictures of them eating out everyday in fancy places and drinking overpriced coffee somewhere. The truth is they struggle financialy. I guess fashion or what other people think of them is more important than their future.