Preservatives In Food

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by tonyb • Oct 21, 2016.

1. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I am beginning to cut down on my in take of soft drinks, can foods other forms of packaged foods. As much as I can I like going for fresh foods these days. Health wise, I'm no longer comfortable taking these foods knowing fully well they are loaded with chemicals as preservatives. I have come to understand preservatives are not substances that are friendly to the body. Some have argued and concluded that they are responsible for some of the serious health problems people suffer from.
    Just being curious I like to know your take as regards the effects of preservatives on our body which we consume indirectly from stored foods and drinks.

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have canned goods in our food cabinet like spam, corned beef and sardines which I believe have preservatives. But we only have them for emergency purposes although we consume them within 3 months to avoid expiration. You may say it is extravagance but we go to the nearby market almost every day to assure us of fresh food in the kitchen. Even our bread are bought every day.

The physician in the family said that preservatives are suspected of causing cancer hence we are conscious of the food we eat. But I have to admit that it is more expensive to buy fresh food materials than preserved foods. In fairness to us, that's the price we pay for good health.

3. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Outside foods are mostly preservative laden. They use food color to enhance the look. Moreover, the leftover food need to be stored. So, they use preservative to retain the longevity of the food. This especially holds good for the restaurants.
    Packaged foods are also high in processing contents which are not health friendly. If we want to concentrate on our physical well being, we must have to restrict on such foods.

4. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I never thought that preservatives that are used in the food are harmful. I came to know about it after my son's doctor advised us not to give him food which contained preservatives.
    After reading the comments I have come to know that even food from the restaurants contain preservatives. I will have to be careful in giving him food from the restaurants.

5. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I know preservatives are health hazard so I try to avoid caned food as much as possible and in case I have to use them I check everything carefully and chose the food item which has least preservatives.