Salvation Army = Legit!

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by shermanbri • Jan 22, 2015.

1. shermanbri

shermanbriNew Member

Threads:
    Did you know that 90% of the Salvation Army kettle donations go right back to the community in which you donate?!? That is an incredible percentage when compared to other similar organizations. Plus, most of their "staff" are volunteers. And if they are paid, they have quite the work load. I just started volunteering with them recently and I have been wonderfully impressed. If you are thinking about donating - the Salvation Army is a good Apple.

Do you know of other organizations that can claim that percentage??

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen them at Christmas time out in front of the stores with the noisy bell-ringing. Some of those people are really rude, and one was hollering at a lady that was walking out to her car. He was definitly NOT a volunteer, or he would have been more interested in helping people than hollering at them.
    Also, one of the people that worked at the salvation army in the kitchen was actually selling the turkeys that people were donating to help feed families that couldn't afford a turkey.
    Granted, he was selling them cheaper than at the grocery store; but still, it did not make a good impression of the company.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What about the fact that Salvation Army won't help homeless homosexual people because it goes against their Christian values? That is really lame. I'm a Christian and any form of intolerance makes me sick. We're supposed to love our neighbors, not judge them.

4. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    I love the Salvation Army and have always supported them in our area. I have never known of them to turn anyone away because of their sexual preferences. I don't understand why people would feel the need to bring up their sexual persuasion anyway. Do they ask people if they are homosexual before giving them aid? I've volunteered for them before, and I was never told anything at all in relation to that sort of thing.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I refuse to contribute. Not just because of their bigotry, but because I've known people that worked in their stores and I didn't like what I saw. Charities have to be completely transparent and sadly, now have to prove themselves to get my money.. too many put themselves before those they are there to help, which ruins things for those who deserve the money. I donate my money and items directly to those in need now. I don't know anything about where their money really goes, I haven't looked into it, but I might now. If it mostly goes to those in need, than that truly is rare these days.. but I'd still rather help directly than give them a dime.

Just the first thing that came up in google, but there's tons out there...,

6. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    They use some of the money they raise to actively lobby and campaign against equal rights for homosexual people under the law. If that was not enough of a deal killer they evicted an elderly, terminally ill family friend from a property she rented from them for over 40 years and refused to help her in any way to find a new home for her remaining time on earth. They were in too much of a hurry to sell the property and get the money.

So, no, I do not ever donate to them.

7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I systematically refuse to donate or contribute to any single charitable cause or organization you can name, but I will never refuse to donate to the Salvation Army because they are legit and have always been!

My mother was raised in a very poor neighborhood where everything was scarce, except the loving support of the Salvation Army that had (and keep having) open doors to anyone approaching there for a cup of coffee, a dish of soup, a clothe to dress, or a toy for a kid, besides offering medical attention and support in many other ways, including community activities, teaching trades and crafts, and so on.

Actually I think that Christmas season is plane consumerism season, however whenever the Salvation Army's children band comes along down the streets, I can't help bring back my childhood memories listen to my mother to say, "let's give them because they really help."

8. Brenda Barnousky

Threads:
    I don't think businesses or non-profits should ever cater to special interest groups, just because they want to be recognized and put their agenda out there. I have never known of anyone in America (in my lifetime) who did not have equal rights, and equal protection under the law. There has not been organized, state-sponsored lynching or beheading of any blacks, women, homosexuals, or anyone else that I am aware of. Not everyone agrees with certain lifestyles, and you know what, that's ok. If someone's behavior goes against your principles or your faith, you cannot, in good conscience, pander to their whims, nor should you be forced to.

9. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know what nation you are from, but the legal persecution of blacks and homosexuals has led to many lynchings and even state executions here in America. There are usually other excuses offered, however.
    Women, of course, are less likely to be lynched. Prejudice and discrimination against women is more often economic, but women are frequently raped, and then may be forced to carry unwanted pregnancies resulting from the rape, or resort to back-alley abortions (often resulting in death). Almost daily we hear about states trying to pass laws punishing women for being raped or the victims of incest, and politicians campaign on promises to bring back the days of girls dying because of rape and molestation.

10. Brenda Barnousky

Threads:
    Well I don't know what PLANET you're from! I am assuming you are male, correct? I have to tell you, I was around during the early days of the civil rights/feminist movement, and we won! I'm tired of hearing the same old worn out stuff over and over, especially from people who have absolutely no vested interest in the matter! In which states are they trying to "pass laws punishing women for being raped....because of rape and molestation." ? None of that makes a lick of sense, and if you reply, please define your terms! If all that drivel boils down to your anger at pro-lifers, then please keep it in perspective...it's YOUR opinion.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of that one. Here where I live the Salvos are a not just some kind of "Christian institution", but rather an integral part of the infrastructure. Your sexual orientation has absolutely nothing to do with anything when it comes to receiving help from the Salvation Army. You won't be refused food, shelter, clothing or counseling whether you are gay, straight, transsexual, and so on. In fact, no one asks any questions at all. The people at the Salvation Army in our region, and countrywide, are dedicated to helping those in need. And, I can't praise them enough. I always donate generously when they come knocking at my door. Also, their warehouses and shops are the first place that I go looking for furniture, electrical appliances and other useful things before I buy anything new.

12. GeeCee

GeeCeeMember

Threads:
    No, I can't off the top of my head. I know that the Salvation Army is a pretty legit organization when it comes to putting the money that they spend in the right places. There are some institutions that stand up to 60% of what they make to put out commercials so they can make more money they can sink that 60% back into advertising. I know that it's a necessity, but in the end, I'm not sure that it is right.

13. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Is this organization international in scope? There is a church organization in my country that goes by the same name. I usually contribute to legit and transparent church ministries through tithing and also give offerings to whoever I can. I would like to research more about them since I would appreciate to be a volunteer.

14. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Salvation Army is well-known for raising money, especially at holidays like Christmas. Usually they have paid employees out at every grocery store, as well as department stores, Walmart, and just about any other store where people are shopping during the holidays.
    However, their record for helping people with the money is nowhere near as good as their record for collecting it from people. When you look them up in the list of charities, the Salvation Army is one of the ones who keeps more of the money they collect and their senior officers are very well-paid.
    Sadly, it is not just the Salvation Army who keeps most of their donations. Most of the homeless rescue missions receive a lot of community support, and the head of the rescue mission drives a new luxury vehicle, while the homeless people who are kept there eat the most basic meals and sleep on the floor on mats very often.
    It is always a good idea to thoroughly check out any charity organization before donating to them.

15. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    Ever since I was a little child, I always have known people to donate most things to salvation army. It's obviously doing good for the people since it's still the number 1 choice to donate things to. I assume that when I reach that stage in life, I'll be giving them items. Plus they are conveniently located all over the place.

16. thomas pendrake

Threads:
    I had not been on this forum for awhie because of health concerns, But Ihave been listening to Donald Trump in his campaign. He has advocated punishing women for having abortions. I have been watching all the news about cops killing people for having "wide nostrils". Civil rights continues to be a struggle, and I do not just mean the race issues. There is a movement to prevent even early term abortions for little girls who are pregnant because of rape (anytime an oder person has sex with a 10 year old girl, it is rape). Bear in mind that the Bible specifically refers to "quickening" numerous times. Anti-abortion is NOT pro-life.
    This was supposed to be a discussion about the Salvation Army, a wonderful organization dedicated to helping people.. Jesus said that whatever we do (or don't do) to or for the "least" person, we do to Him.. If you have access to a Bible, read Matthew 25:31ff.

17. thomas pendrake

Threads:
    The Salvation Army is very international in its mission. In fact, its international headquarters is in London, England. It is a well established and respected Denomination, but it works with other denominations and does allow volunteers who are not members, and hires workers who are not.
    In recent years there has been some controversy because of the church contracting to supervise probation and parole programs. I have also heard complaints about their homeless housing program. They do not provide shelter for people who drink alcohol. I know of no programs which help needy and homeless people that do not have detractors. Jesus said that the homeless, hungry, the "least" person is in fact him. I have known people who have picked up hitch-hikers and later realized that the hitch-hiker was, in fact, Jesus. Or the old man in the park.....