Do You Frequent Second Hand Stores?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by remnant • Aug 9, 2016.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to browse online sites where people sell 2nd hand stuff, since the only 2nd hand stores that I see in here are the ones that sell clothes and bags. I once bought an Android phone that was rarely used and like new with no scratches, so I hope to stumble upon such items again in 2nd hand stores.

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are you speaking of shops with recognized names or more like local shops? I do know that the prices have gotten ridiculous in some of the "charity" shops, now that "thrifting" has become so popular. I just hadn't heard of any particular scams.

I know of a local shop that seems pretty questionable. The owner doesn't have a good reputation as a business person, or in her interactions with others. Her prices are high as well, and she just isn't very friendly if you visit her shop. I went once, and that was enough for me.

I definitely don't want to buy from someone who scams people, and there are those who don't buy into her "for a good cause" message. They believe her only "cause" is to fill her pockets, so they stopped donating stuff and shopping there.

3. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I am not a frequent visitor to second hand stores. I don't buy used clothin and I also stay away from used electronic items which could possibly turn out to be problematic for me. The items that I would possibly puschase would be used books and hard-to-get motor vehicle and equipment parts.

4. Norjak71

Norjak71Member

Threads:
    I will but their are certain things I won't buy. I usually won't touch electronics unless the deal is so good that their is no loss either way. I've gotten a few things for a friends baby, baby clothes are usually a big seller and you can't go wrong. I've gotten some cookware and other small appliances. One of the best deals I got was a large electronic dartboard that probably would have sold for $200 at least, and that was purchased for $15. The bargains are there if you look hard enough you just have to be smart about it.

5. ad.mike2016

ad.mike2016New Member

Threads:
    I love going to second hand stores, there are usually some good finds you can pick up from time to time. I found that it really depends on the location of these stores as to the quality of the merchandise they have to offer. One of the best Goodwill's I have ever been to was in Phoenix, Arizona in a really ritzy area. I have never seen so many dry fit Nike shirts for 2 dollars in perfect condition. I also frequent consignment shops a lot, not really for the deals just to see what type of furniture they have to offer, they are a great place to pick up antiques.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Location is definitely an important thing to consider with thrift stores, just like it is when going to a yard sale. As was just mentioned, if the store is in an area of really expensive homes, the things that they donate are usually of much better quality, and also in better shape than items that come from a poorer area of town.
    When I go yard-saling, I like to drive into the better neighborhoods and find yard sales, just for that same reason.
    We also have some thrift stores that are in a much more affluent area of town; but since they are also on the other side of town, I do not usually get that far away.

7. ashley0323

ashley0323Member

Threads:
    Yes, absolutely. We are not above using second hand items that are in good condition. Sometimes you can find amazing deals. Last week I bought a kitchen table and chairs set, they looked BRAND NEW, not a scratch on it, I paid $25, and paid an extra $15 to have it delivered.

8. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I usually only shop at second hand stores, I always joke " if its not at the thrift store then I don't need it." I have literally waited months for something I have wanted (like a coffee percolator) to be able to find it at a second hand store. I also write a list of thing I am looking for through out the month that way I can take a quick look at it before I go into the store to remind me what I am looking for.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a few second hand stores in my area that tend to sell higher end clothing and accessories for a fraction of their usual cost, so good deals can definitely be found. I would prefer to invest in something like that, rather than paying about the same or perhaps slightly less, for low quality new clothing at sold at some of the 'value' stores. Other items such as dishes, flatware, decor and books are things I like to purchase second hand, as long as they're in good condition and have a lot of life left in them.

10. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, It costs a lot cheaper in thrift shops. Sometimes you get to see some rare branded things in such bargain price. Like one time i was in those shops, I was looking for shoes. Then I saw this Vans Iron Maiden slip on shoes. As a metal fan, I was so excited just seeing those rare shoes. And they cost way cheaper than new ones. the condition was still great, so for me it was a good buy. Too bad they didn't fit me.

11. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Buying second hand items are actually a good way to save a huge amount of money particularly when you're buying electronic stuffs like appliances and gadgets. I myself does buy and sell for the past few years and I can proudly say that it has been my bread and butter since.

People tend to buy used stuffs for them to save money while having the same quality of a brand new item. However, there are some that sticks in buying brand new items rather than used because they are scared they might buy a defective one.

12. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I hardly patronise second hand stores I just like having my supplies new. If I don't have enough money I would rather buy few new items than buy many from a second hand store. I understand there could items in s second hand that's of high quality and sometimes better than new ones. If I can see such I may consider just a few.

13. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy 2nd hand clothes online, but I noticed that a lot of them don't fit me upon fitting them, so I have refrained from buying them online. In our area though, I have seen lots of stores sell 2nd hand items of all sorts, but I just didn't have the incentive to drop by since I don't need anything in particular yet. If I need something then for sure I will check it out.

14. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't purchase clothes or any body accessories from a second-hand store unless needed. You never know where the clothes have been. I have gone to one to buy some devices, videogames, appliances and even books though but if they're available new, I would prefer to buy it new. It's mostly paranoia but I may buy an expensive suit but never shoes or socks.

15. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Well yeah. I love second hand stores because you can buy even the rarest stuff here and for a much cheaper price. Most of the time I go here to buy second hand clothes, books, and furniture.

16. Jgreengrl

JgreengrlNew Member

Threads:
    As a single mom of 5 children, I shop second hand often. It is much easier to budget $5 for a nice shirt second hand than to pay $25 for a t-shirt at the mall.

I also look at all their home furnishings and home decor. You can usually find awesome deals on decor both large and small.

17. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I like to go and look at the furniture and antiques at the thrift-store and yeah, they don't sell cheap furniture made out of wood anymore these days.My favorite is to look how bad of shape the furniture is in,and thnk of great ways to restore it,also look for the potential of the piece, instead of the way it is or looks.

18. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    This makes me miss one of the better stores that we had around here, but I think they closed their doors about a year ago. I got a lot of stuff there, and since then my time in these types of stores really has taken a hit.

19. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I don’t do to used clothing stores. We have lots of them in our country and you will find them in the flea market. Just the thought that the clothes have been worn by other people turns me off. Besides, we can afford new clothes and there are new clothes that are cheap and affordable so why care for used clothes? Our usual haunt when it comes to clothes are the boutiques in malls selling branded clothing items, they are safe and sure that they are brand new.

20. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    I used to go to charity shops with my parents to get the occasional second hand book. But the only reason I went to those were because the items were usually really cheap and you would be helping a charity at the same time. The one I went to was fundraising for heart disease patients. I won't go to any normal second hand stores because you just know that they are trying to con you out of as much money as they can get which means the items are usually not good deals