Cheap Herbicide

Discussion in Home & Garden started by remnant • Oct 14, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Vinegar is an effective weed killer even at low concentrations. To increase its effectiveness, you can add salt to make a cheap but effective herbicide. However, make sure that you don't spray on useful plants as this is not a selective herbicide. Its also not toxic on beneficial organisms which frequent the garden and are necessary for pollination and mantenance of a healthy ecosystem.

2. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Oh. Maybe that's why most of my herbs died. I sprayed a mixture of vinegar and water to my plants because a lot of insects feasted on them. Vinegar effectively got rid of those insects but then it killed most my plants. I never knew this is what's happening. I have a question though, when you said not toxic to beneficial organisms, are you referring to bees? The problem with salt and vinegar is that it kills off earthworms that are beneficial in making soil fertile.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    So what particular plant should this vinegar herbicide may be used? You know there are different types of plants depending on their types of leaves. That is how I understand. So vinegar herbicide is good for weeds that have a broad leaves or what not?

4. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I never have tried sprinkling vinegar solutions as I do not know its impact on my plants. Instead I've applied soap water to control mealybugs which had turned half of my plants white. The soap solution worked, but I had to continue the process for a long time to permanently get rid of those bugs.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use a mixture of white vinegar, dish soap and hot water on the weeds. It seems to work well on some, and others seem to live through anything. I have also used a few types of commercial herbicides, and a few of the weeds just seem to thrive regardless of what I do. The vinegar dries out the weeds (and other plants, as mentioned above), and that weakens the roots, making it easier to pull them.