Would You Rather Pay Gym Membership Or Build Your Own?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by GenevB • Apr 22, 2016.

1. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I cannot say that I know all that goes into building a home gym, but if I had the means and the ability to do so I would certainly explore that as an option. I am assuming that if you are talking big time equipment you are someone who has a lot of capital available to them, for whatever reason, and of course this is not the case with me. I would have to do more household things, but that would get my creativity flowing. Interesting idea, though, and thanks for sharing.

2. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I would prefer to pay the membership fee. I believe that is it's probably easier for may persons to be motivated to exercise when they are in the group setting. I have a treadmill at home, and after a while, the equipment has been just sitting there idle has because I have lost the urge to utilize it anymore. I wake many days thinking that I am going to get on the machine that day and It never happens. what is happening here is wasting of resources. I would not have this problem with a gym membership. I would only be paying for what I would utilize.

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    If I don't have the money to build mine then I will settle for payment for a gym membership. I like to have my personal gym centre right there in my villa. This way I can easily access it and can visit for regular exercise as often as possible. Engage a trained instructor to give the necessary trainings right there in the comfort and privacy of my villa.

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a fitness freak with regular exercising habits. I have my own way of workouts which is altogether different from Gym. I am not against gyms and have attended them but I like the fresh air and natural environment. I go to a park specifically designed for this purpose. We have our own groups with similar type of workouts and a yoga session in the end.

5. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    It's better to use nature and the outdoors as your gym. You can climb trees, carry logs, walk uphill, and jump over obstacles. If I were to choose between both, though, I would buy a gym membership because I don't think I'd be motivated enough at home to work out. With the gym, at least you get that ambiance you need to motivate you. Home has too many distractions.

6. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    In our place we have a workout gym and it is open for public. There is no membership fee or anything that it requires those working-out to pay. The equipment is provided and maintained by the government. For the sake of discussion of your point presented here, thought it is expensive to pay for a membership fee but it would be better than to put up your gym which would cost you a lot but when it is intended for business, it is a good investment. Well, for yourself only, it would be better to pay an annual fee gym membership.

7. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I would rather get a gym membership. If I get a gym membership then I will have to go to the gym for work outs, whereas, if I get my own gym and I am on my own with no instructor, I am bound to miss the work outs. I am very lazy in this and often tend to miss the exercises.

8. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I think it's always worth the money to buy a good set of dumbbells. Note, actually, you can get as good a workout from them as from stuff at a gym like bar-bells or weight machines. Nonetheless, you have to be prepared to motivate yourself. Note, often people go to gyms because the atmosphere is very motivating and there might even be light teasing of those who will not workout at a gym.

By the way, in many instances, of course, a set of dumbbells is going to be cheaper. Anyhow, I would like to use dumbbells for many body parts, but probably I'm more likely to go for a scenario where bar-bells and weight machines are mixed in with dumbbells.

Anyhow, some have said weight machines give an inferior workout compared to barbells or weight machines, mainly cause your not using your own body weight that much. Anyone know more about that claim?

You can get around that situation by buying only dumbbells. Also, in many instances, certain barbells might not be that much.

#28Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  9. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    There are just far too many ways to get things for free around the house and either build something that is yours or just do as I do and use them as you see them. Either way, it saves you in the end which is all that matters.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My idea of exercise is the basic to mean there's no need for complicated exercises needing complicated equipment. However, there are people who are used to the gym that I cannot blame them. One thing going for exercise is the motivation and I know some people are fully motivated by the mere mention of the gym particularly those gyms with glass panels for people to see you while doing your exercise. As I said, they are motivated maybe by showing off to the public.

For your own gym, the basic is the punching bag and maybe the treadmill and bench press. But it will cost you a lot and you don't have the benefit of companionship unlike in the gym where there are other people doing exercises like you.

11. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I would rather go to the park and work out in the fresh air -with the birds singing. I would feel to claustrophobic at the gym and to cooped up-also they have way to many germs floating around for me at those places. Also this park has a soft running track and lights at night which makes it fun,and its good for my anxiety as well I must say.

12. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have some exercise equipment at home, and we do use that; but we also go to the fitness center. My husband likes working on on the machines and using weights, and I like swimming; so both of those things are much more easily done at a fitness center than trying to set something up at home.
    We also have one of the small Intex-type of backyard pool, and we can swim in that in the summer; but it is more of just paddling around because you can't swim in one of these small pools like you can in a regular full size pool that is at the fitness center.
    Some of our exercise we get just by working in the yard and we go for walks together, plus we use the stationary bike and Bobby has one of those home-gym machines. I just ordered a mini-trampoline and I want to start using that at home, too. We don't have one of those at the fitness center, and it is supposed to be one of the best exercises that you can do, and safe for almost everyone .

13. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I would much rather build my own gym. You really don't need a whole lot of expensive equipment just to stay fit anyway, you could just go outside and jog or do work outs like sit up and pull ups. I'm sure you could even find cheap work out equipment online that works just fine if you try hard enough.

14. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think walk can be done on our own. Some people perform better with the membership in gym. But some people can't afford the gym. And for this reason I can tell you that one should focus on what they can do at the low cost. So I think walking and diet is one way to go on this as well. I usually prefer doing on my own.

15. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mini-trampoline arrived yesterday, and we have it set up in the exercise room. I really like how it works, and I think that this would be a safe exercise for just about anyone to do, since you can rebound as hard or as easy as you want to. For older people, or ones with physical limitations, there is a safety bar that helps you not to lose your balance. You can start out with just gently bouncing with your feet still on the trampoline and you still get a food workout.
    I found that even a few minutes of rebounding wears my calves out; but I feel really good after doing the rebounding. I am also doing what I call "water rebounding" , which is just basically jumping in the water, or doing jumping jacks. When I am in the water, I do not have to worry about losing my balance or falling; so this helps me have better balance for when I am using the mini-trampoline.