Is Ubuntu Virus Free?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by luckycharm • Jan 12, 2017.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I came to know of this wonderful Operating System from one of my friends who is already a user of freeware OS. He also told me that as Ubuntu is built on Linux it's virus free. But I am quite skeptical about this. Ubuntu is fast and user friendly.

So if it's really virus resistant, is there a need for an anti-virus software? I think in that case we can save a lot of money on purchasing an anti-virus program and be at peace of mind as we are safe from any virus threats.

Do you have any idea if Ubuntu is actually virus free?

2. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    If you're having trouble affording anti-virus software for Windows, AVG and Avast are both free and very good.

There aren't many viruses that affect Linux, but there are a few. Ubuntu can shut out most of them, but if you want extra protection there are anti-virus and firewall programs for it and many of them are free. ClamAV and BitDefender are well-known ones.

3. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I am pretty sure Ubuntu is virus free, everything is free in Ubuntu, as the code is open source. The main issue with that OS is the compatibility with other software of course. Having this said, I also though iOS was virus free, but it's not the case, so nothing like making a deeper research.

4. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    My friend who's been using Linux for a long time said that Ubuntu is virus free and that's actually why he likes it. He even prefers it than Windows. He spend most of his time online and he's satisfied with his computer's OS since it does not have any hiccups or lags, he never encountered any based on his experience. That's why I'm also thinking if I'll be switching to Linux or Ubuntu, but I still don't know since I need my offline files for work.

5. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have had way too many issues with devices that I thought were clean that I could not trust anything that makes this claim. I will assume no, then, but I very well could be wrong.

6. haivu721vn

haivu721vnMember

Threads:
    No. You're wrong. They don't even claim to be virus-free anymore. Atleast it's much better than Windows on security.
    I've heard about people who've REALLY destroyed all the HARDWARE with a single-line linux command copied from the Internet.
    Just don't be fool and everything should be fine =))