Do You Walk?

Discussion in Travel started by remnant • Jul 11, 2016.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I walked a lot as a teacher in South Korea due to the fact I didn't drive overseas. However, at home, I mostly limit walking to mountain hiking or moving inside the confines of some store like Wal-Mart. Note, I get most of my exercise by jogging or using a skiing simulator so I don't see the need in walking all the time.

Of course, I do think that walking can save money when someone lives in a small town. However, in certain instances of that situation, a bike would be more suitable. It depends on how big the town is and your distance from work and other things.

2. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Jason76@Jason76 My story is almost the same. I walk a lot in other countries which help me save money as well the joy of walking gaining invaluable knowledge is immense. I have walked in all kind of terrains in my country but walking in hilly areas is my special hobby.

#42Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2017
  3. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    @Jason76@Jason76 I live in South Korea for three years a few years back and I did not like driving there, I walked a LOT there, my husband drove all the time when we lived there but I never could get the nerve up to drive everyday, I think I drove a total of 3 times in 3 years! However I do miss South Korea and all the fresh markets...and good food...

#43Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2017
  4. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I walk something, but not much. Let's say 2 kilometers per day, under 2 miles, on average. I do walk my kids to school, then I walk to work, and all the way back, but I live really close to the school and to my job, so I really don't have a reason to walk more than that haha. As for sports, my favorites are certainly not walking. :p

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Walking and riding a bike normally doesn't provide enough exercise for a shorter period of time. Note, I like to get things done in a hurry. I want my cardio and muscle exercises done in 1 and 1/2 hours normally. In that case, jogging is ideal. However, walking short distances to save money, but not exercise, is fine.

6. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I walk a lot at my free time just going strolling around my locality for sight seeing and as a way of doing some little exercises. It's quite interesting having to walk especially in company of one or two other persons. The legs and other part of the body get exercise and it ensures good circulation, the body gets in a better shape.

7. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    As far my walks are concerned I walk 7 days a week (and jog) regularly in the morning. But my real walking is during my visits to my neighboring Himalayan state of Uttrakhand about 100 km away from my home where I go often and love to walk long distances alone or with my friends as the case be. I have done a lot of Bushwalking in Australia for fun and for charity purpose as well.

8. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, we need to walk for at least 30m or one hour with a certain pace for walking to be considered an exercise, but even if we don't reach that time or have a particular pace, it's always better than being sedentary and use the car for ridiculous distances. If it's a walking distance (under 30 minutes), we should do it.

9. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Hiking is normally good workout for 30 minutes or an hour due to the fact you're going up a mountain. However, the walking must be constant. Note, I don't really consider walking on flat or hilly land for 30 minutes or an hour to be a real workout, that's why I'd prefer jogging instead. I suspect you'd have to possibly walk for hours to get the same workout as a 30 minute or 1-hour jogging session.

10. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that can be the case. I was in Germany some years ago, and let me tell you it was insane to see those guys hiking, as they are like robots going up and down the mountain, LOL, it's an insane rhythm. I prefer to take my pace, stop, enjoy the view, I don't see it as a plain exercise, but simply something I love doing.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like walking and ye it for I ride the bus only. It's good exercise and it keeps you limber. When I don't go out I exercise at home watching television walking in place. I try to put in different moves when I exercise at home to get the full potential of moving my whole body. I like walking too. When you bus you walk a lot.

12. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Now that you mention the bus, I remembered years ago when I took the bus for everything, so I am happy to look back and realize I have changed for the positive. These days there are a lot of people who are sedentary, so nothing like making an effort to break that chain and improve our health, many times saving money.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I can understand your point about not liking the way people hike or trek but let me accept that it is one good hobby for some. I am great fan of Bushwalking in certain areas which is done for a purpose. In fact, NGOs collect funds from walkers for the purpose of helping homeless. You would be surprised to see even the senior citizens (65-80) taking part in such programs paying fat participation fee to these organizations. Some of these programs are week long with features like camping and self cooking in thick forests and bush-tracks

14. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I do know people from all ages love to hike, and it's great, far better than smoking or eating sitting in the couch in front of the TV, a million times better. More, I am no one to comment how each person hike, but as for me personally I see it as entertainment more than exercise.

15. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I do walk but not a lot though. We do walk a bit far whenever we would go to the market, it is around 3 kilometers from our place. We do have a ton of exercise whenever we buy some stuff there that's why I buy everything I would need for the whole week.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I suggest you to go through the link. These are my favorite Bushwalking areas for years and I hope to be there in less than a month's time from now. There are slimier Bushwalking trekking areas which are used ifor charity purpose also

17. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing that link @Ray1@Ray1, it's actually looking pretty good and offers good suggestions.

It reminded me years ago when I was hikking in Gerês (north of Portugal), and we ended up following the wrong trail. We didn't get lost, but we went on a far larger hike than we expected. It was really beautiful though, wild horses and clean water we can drink from the water courses... :)

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You would not be perhaps interested to read my walking experiences which are for few hours to 7 days in a row. I have been walking long distances, camping, trekking, staying in isolated places alone and with my frinds. I have done such tours on motorbikes also but that was different story. I have written long articles but there is no way I can provide you links for same.

19. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I wonder how would the body react to 7 days walking? I mean, you of course rest some parts of the day, but how many miles per day are you doing @Ray1@Ray1? Those adventures really mark us for life, not only they make us healthier, are cheap or free, but also allow us to know new people and places.

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think walking 40-50 or even 60 km a day is a tiresome job for walking lovers. I have walked for almost 60 km in a single walk once but 50 km out that was down the hill and the last leg of 10 km was from 4000 ft to 7000 ft which was a little tiresome though. People walking for 7 days in a row walk about 30 km in a day.