How Long Should Clothes Last?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Alexandoy • Dec 18, 2016.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For the regular clothes that I wear for office, it is usually 3 years because I have a small array in my closet. But if I will buy more clothes then they will last longer. I am posting this thread because I am thinking of buying new clothes every 3 months and is it really worth to buy new clothes 4 times in a year? I usually buy new clothes only during the Christmas shopping plus the gifts that I receive. It’s not really for saving money but I’m also thinking of my attire that they don’t look raggedy.

2. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I have a new clothes every year. In the office where I am working, we have a clothing allowance for 3 sets of school uniform. Those old uniforms are still in good condition. They last for several years for I couldn't use them anymore when I have a new set of clothes. Actually, I am a person who wears clothes which I used to and the rest just remain on the closet. When I happen to open it, that is the time I have to remember them. My wife has suggested that I have to donate them to the needy and the poor members of our Church. She's right and I did it.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If any gentleman is liking to buy clothes JosABanks that's Joseph A. Banks. I still have clothes from my high school days because they are polyester and don't fade. I like buying clothes from the thrift shop for they are cheap and thrift shops has sales that you can get clothing so inexpensively. I find great bargains from Walmart like short pants for just $3! I always shop for bargains by window shopping limiting it to just 30 min. But for special occasions like weddings I always buy new clothes. I really think that getting if you an afford it new clothes about half a year for work. You got to look good when working so why not. If you got a thrift shop you can find a lot of clothes too that no one would know that's its from a thrift shop buy you.

4. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    It all depends on how much use and care we put into the clothing. For instance the more we use it the less it will last of course and if we were to put extra care in it it will last a bit longer. I guess it also depends on the quality some clothing that are pricey can withstand the washes even longer than others. It all depends all the factors I have listed above.

5. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Frequency of use determines a lot how long clothes would last. If particular clothes are used all the time or day then it may only last some weeks or few months before discarding. I use many of my clothes moderately and they normally last between six months to one year. I think that time is okay.

6. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I have three pairs of suits which I ma wearing since 4 years. They still look new. When I am storing my suits, I always clean them and place moth balls. My daily wear lasts about two years. Usually, I wear the same cloth for two days in a week. My night dress lasts just about a year.

7. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Since I tend to buy few pairs in a batch and use them thoroughly for like 6 months, I find a need to buy them atleast twice a year.

I also happen to have a lot of traditional wear that I try and wear regularly, these has lasted me years or so.

Depending on your usage, storage and frequency of washing your clothes, you can decide on when best to purchase.

8. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    As others have said I also think a lot depends on the clothes we are talking about and where we wear them. For work I have 4 or 5 suits that I usually replace after 2 or 3 years, not because they are worn out, just mainly because I get bored with them. T-shirts and jeans, every day clothes then I tend to change a lot more because obviously I wear them for doing all manner of different things in, so they DO tend to wear out faster.

9. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    The most durable brand of clothes based on my own experience are Fubu and Lee. The shirts from those brands really last a long time. I am 31 years old and the T-shirt I am wearing now is my shirt since I am just 14 years old.

My other shirts have faster planned obsolescence. I am so upset with the Tribal brand of shirts because they get ruined very fast for just 2 years.

10. Sandy Mayfield

Sandy MayfieldMember

Threads:
    I would say it depends on how well you take care of it, the quality, if you stay the same size and keep the same style, etc. I have some shirts that I have worn since high school and some that lasted a year or less.

11. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    In the wardrobe, everyone has a range of clothes. Some they like, some do not. It is a common tendency to wear the cloths of choice more frequently. So, these cloths will last lesser compared to them which are not so in use. However, sometimes even if the fabric remains in the good shape we do buy new clothes if something fashionable catches our eyes.

12. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I want my clothes to at least last me 5 years. You must take good care of them and wash them appropriately so that they won't rip in the washing machine and same with not mixing colored and whites. Using too much bleach can damage clothes as well. My clothes usually last me 5 to 10 years. Some do look old but they're usable.

13. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    If clothes are well looked after then they can last many years. By laundering them properly and ironing the creases out, and then hanging or folding them takes care of the material. If we just wore our clothes and threw them on the floor each night then they would become creased which damages the material in the long term and so shortens the life span of the garment.

I think the clothes that are more expensive would last longer because they are made of a higher quality material. Whereas cheapies you cannot expect them to last very long how ever well they are laundered and taken care of. Saying this, though, I have clothes that I have had for donkey's years and they are still in good nick.

14. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    I buy clothes only when I need to replace the old ones. I don't work in an office, I wear uniform in my place of work. My main clothing are jeans and sports shoes. They go for up to three years and that's when I start replacing them.

15. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    If you ask me, ideally clothes should last you a long time, and I am talking years and years. Unfortunately, we know that this is not always the case, especially with the little ones. The key is being smart and trying to find ways to avoid having to buy new clothes all the time, and it is tough sometimes.

16. Amber123

Amber123New Member

Threads:
    I actually believe organic fibres last longer, but you do have to look after them. My clothes generally last - a few years for things like jeans, dresses and jumpers. T-shirts don't tend to last so well.

17. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I have a lot of clothes and I've bought some of them 6 years ago but still looking good. I don't know how long should clothes last but I guess it depends on the fabric used and how was it made. Also depending on the brand. I have friends who have original Lacoste and Ralph Lauren's shirt and they've been wearing them for quite some time now but they still look good as new.

If you buy cheap shirts then probably it will shrink and won't even last for a few months.

18. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    If I buy few clothes and I am using them regularly for my outings then I may be looking at wearing for six months to one year before I finally dump them. On the other hand if I buy many clothes at a time and use them equally, not being too particular on any, then the clothes should last more than a year.

19. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I buy clothes if I need them through out the year but i usually don't need clothes, I buy most of my clothes at thrift stores and at the beginning of the year I put 25 dollars for my clothes budget in an envelope plus I get a new pair of sneakers each year usually, my husband gets about 80-100 dollars a year for clothes and a new pair of boots/dress shoes . That's all we spend if we need them, but I am also good at mending clothing which helps ours last, I have had one shirt for 15 years and I still wear it..it really depends on the quality and how the items are kept.

20. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    For regular clothes it is 6-8 months and for those clothes which I seldom wear or wear occasionally it lasts for a long time. Like I have a dress which is almost 5 years old and it looks like new. It depends on how much you wear that clothe and how many times do you wash them - whether dry clean then or normal wash.