Have You Considered Turning Off Your Cell Phone Service?

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by cluckeyo • Jun 13, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    Smart phones do so many things other than just the phone itself. With all the things that Google is doing these days. I am seriously considering turning off the phone and just using it for the apps and camera, stuff like that. I can receive messages through my gmail. I would not have an emergency phone. But you can get a little go phone for way cheaper than the monthly bill on a smart phone. I am considering doing this and carrying both. I just do not use the phone.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I am not sure how that would work. My smartphone is very cheap since it is through Tracfone. I only pay about 40 dollars for 3 months and this gives me phone, text, and a data connection plus apps. I want to be able to use my cell when I am out someplace in case I have a car problem so no, I would not consider turning it off. You might want to consider a tablet..that has no phone ability.

3. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I would not do without my cell phone as I see it as a safety device. I am much more comfortable driving places as I have a used car and worry about breakdowns. Besides, public phones are not near as plentiful as they used to be. Good luck finding one if you don't have your cell with you.

4. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I consider it wasteful for people to buy a smart phone with superior functions and abilities and then use it for calling and texting only. I would consider a smartphone for the other functions but I would maintain another cheaper phone for the purposes of calling and texting. I would go for the smaller screens because they save on data bundles since they don't download big texts and images.

5. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I have to admit I at first thought that it would be a silly idea, but then after just reading your post you really bring up a good point. I never really even call people anymore. It is all text messages, so if I was able to get those without having to pay for the service then that would be a good way to save some money. I think that would mean that everyone else would have to decide the same thing, though, and that is where the issue might arise.

6. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    I've had no phone for a little while (relocating, don't wanna buy another one but might cave). It is enjoyable in some ways and worse in others. I really miss having data for maps, for example. On the other hand though, it has let me be free of social connections that were stopping me from going 100% on what I wanted.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a LG smartphone. I love it. I use it as a PDA. I have become very dependent on my smartphone. I purchased a low end smartphone, but it has some high end features. I only pay $35 per month via Sprint prepaid.

The only problem with low end phones is that there isn't enough internal storage. Most of the apps that I use don't run on the microSD card. I don't want to pay for an iPhone or a Samsung. I thinking about a Google Nexus phone as a compromise. A lot more internal storage without the $600 - $700 price tag.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The better option to ensure you "stay connected" is buying one of those cheap basic cell phones that don't have the functionalities smart phones do and use it for calling and texting. And you'll still have your smartphone, download apps on your PC and install them on the phone. That way you'll have your smartphone and apps you like and still don't spend much money on your phone.

9. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    Well you have things like Maps services that you may want to use, I actually agree with you. I have 2 smart phones. I use one for only music, pictures, watching videos or movies that I download, entertainment basically. The other one is for business. Both phones actually have great battery life.

The entertainment phone, I keep it on airplane mode, the other one, I use it for business, and no entertainment so the phone batteries last me all day.

I turned my service off specifically for that reason, and instead of paying $60 dollars a month for unlimited internet, I just use wifi all the time, and pay $35 dollars a month for unlimited talk, text, web, with some high speed data at a cap.

It's nice that way.

10. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    that's an awesome idea!! I'm not sure I can break it down that way with my carrier, but I may sure check it out!! I would much rather carry one phone than 2.

11. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't pay my phone bill for one month because I was on vacation for two weeks. I had to endure two weeks with no service when I came back from vacation and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I hadn't thought about having two phones before. Perhaps I'll look into getting a cheap one for calls/texts only. After all, as long as there's a wifi connection, I can still receive texts and calls on my smart phone via apps like Whats app and Skype. But I might not get used to having two phones...

12. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    There are half a dozen telecommunication companies in the country and I am subscribed to the two most popular telecommunication services. I have dual sim phone and I switch between the lines as needed. I am satisfied with my telecommunication provider and have not considered turning of the service.

13. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    At this moment, it would be difficult for me to come out of the smartphone I'm using. There're many useful apps installed there which is rather the backbone of my everyday work. As it would take some time to get acquainted with other services, I'd prefer to stay away for the time being. Moreover, as things are going good, I'd rather stick by my current option.

#13Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  14. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I have two mobile phones - a Samsung Galaxy and another basic Samsung model. I hardly use my Galaxy as it consumes a lot of battery power. I am always on my basic Samsung phone (Guru) which can stay up to 5-6 days on a single charge.

However, I don't like the idea of carrying two mobile phones with me. I take my smartphone only when I am travelling to far away places. Personally, I feel like carrying two phones limits my freedom as I will have to take care of two phones. My ideal phone is a compact model which easily fit in my picket and I can move freely. I just wanted to enjoy nature and mingle with people.

15. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Since my smartphone is the only device that letme handle my finances, relations and communication, I wouldn't think of switching off the service. I am currently using one of the most expensive data provider but it is also one of the fastest. Since it fulfils my requirements, I am okay with it.

16. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have thought about it, and to be honest I would probably be the person who not really have much trouble doing it. It seems like a bit of work though, so I am not sure.

17. efrain silva

efrain silvaMember

Threads:
    You are right! These phones are such a blessing in so many countless ways! I cannot describe how thankful I am to have them in my life. They really are a blessing from God's throne above! I can literally do all of my work, email, and chores on my smartphone. I even use it when I shower and exercise.

18. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't own a mobile service as a pay as I need. I may receive calls even if I don't have credit and if I need to call back I can buy a bit of credit when ever. To use the rest of the phones features I use my homes internet service and get things done at home since I don't really use my phone when I'm out.

19. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It is impossible for me to turn off my mobile phone for it is my handy friend that facilitates on how I discharge my duties and responsibilities as a school head before. Now I have already retired again it would deprive me of getting an update from my FB friends, from my blog updates if I am going to turn it off. I, of course, turn it off when I am going to sleep or when I am actually running out of battery. In short, my cellphone is my business partner virtually.

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have started to think in terms of reducing my use of certain unnecessary services I seldom use but giving it up totally is not in my wishlist at time being. I am no good at texting so I can do without this particular service barring of course the incoming messages and OTPs from my bank. I never use phone for games etc and talk to people only when must. By the way I pay as I go so I do not have to pay for monthly bills but pay as much as I use.